Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Kevin October 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This is some bullcrap Iam at the third season and I have found out that Lie TO ME got cancelled!!!!?
This is ridiculous!!! stop airing dumbass show that only entoxicate people’s minds and put Lie to me back for its 4th season so people can enjoy a clean show without stupid blondes sex and their relationships with dumbasses…. Stop canceling shows because of stupid reasons…..in the end fox will still always have money and canceling this show isn’t gonna change fox’s income!!!!

Kareni Rios October 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I seriously cant understand why they had to cancel the show!!!
I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!!
I REALLY HOPE THEY CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!
I don’t understand how they can keep pointless other shows on live over this show when this one really had it meaning to it and something you can actually learn from!!!!

Stan October 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

The best tv series ever!! Please release the 4 th season!!!

Ivelina koseva September 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

We want the forth season of Lie to Me!!! It is a unique kind of series… It is so original that I am surprised that it has been cancelled. It is true that season 3 was worse than the previous two, but not that much…:) It seems that Samuel Baum has done a very good job directing the series seasons 1 and 2, while Tim Roth directing the 3rd season spoiled it. But nevermind, I am waiting for news on the forth season of Lie to me!!!

Tylermi September 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

This is not the firs time fox has canceled a good show… the show didnt fail because it was bad.. it failed because of fox’s bad management… they always put shows on at bad times and dont always even promote good shows the way they should… another reason i dont like fox…

MK September 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

If FOX stopped switching around the viewing times for shows they wouldn’t have to cancel half of there shows !!

Melissa September 23, 2012 at 4:29 am

Bloody hell. Bring Lie to Me back!!!

cheryl September 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I am so very disappointed about the cancellation of Lie to Me. It was the best show on Fox. An intellectual show that we could actually learn something from. Sure ok give the mindless drones their tv shows but at least give people that enjoy using their brains one good one. Come on Fox, very big mistake. I am really hoping another network will pick it up mid season. After many years of watching you….Goodbye Fox. I won’t be watching anymore.

Kara September 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

It is really bad that Lie to me is cancelled…!!!

I honestly i dont understand the rating sthere are bunch of stupid shows which are running forever…
This is my Fav series along with 24 and breaking bad… Its a shame on us we couldnt get proper ratings to it stay online….

Tim should have reached to other networks to telecast it… it certainly deserves a second chance.

Brian September 15, 2012 at 3:50 am

Fox is indicative of its true distancing from average, intelligent viewers in this . Honey Boo Boo is a hit while an immensely entertaining and intelligent show as this gets hatcheted. Just trying to keep us dumbed down with reality garbage.

Bonnie September 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I really liked the whole concept of the show – you could learn alot about people in general, i.e. facial recognition (micro/macro), when people defect your questions, etc and life itself. It is a grave shame that it was cancelled.

Let the Execs put on more crap about useless reality shows, more crime, cops and robbers, etc. What’s the world of tv come to.

Tammy Kooiker September 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I really loved this show. I really hate all the stupid reality shows they keep making and putting on the air. This show had no real violence, no sexual inuendos, it was a clean show that kept you thinking and actually there was even a lesson to learn. It was a show my kids could watch with no problem. Get rid of the mindless crap they are making for tv.

Darren September 7, 2012 at 6:49 am

Apparently if it’s not a bunch of mindless, thoughtless, teenie boppers running around, or melodramatic over the top relationships, or just a bunch of people selling their “true lives” on TV, it must not be worthy of FOX to keep around. Stop canceling really great TV shows! Lie To Me was awesome, made sense, fulfilled the “who done it” void, family friendly, and added an edgy side of science and crime fighting without any supernatural attributes required. This is a bunch of Bullocks this is!

Jason September 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

Canceling this show was a huge mistake by fox. I’ve been a fan of fox television for years. Shows like prison break and 24, held my attention every week faithfully. Just like those shows, lie to me was a hit. I found my self setting the eve to record those episodes even if I was watching them just to watch again. The show had everything going for it. It’s just a shame it was canceled

Laura August 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

How disappointing to learn that “Lie to Me” was cancelled. I found it on Netflix about a month ago and was hooked!! I thought, “Well I’ll just have to wait for the next season to be on Netflix or buy the 4th season on DVD.” I feel like it’s my fate to find a show I truly enjoy, only to have it cancelled. Loved the chemistry between Cal and Jillian…..now we’ll never know the outcome. Superb actors….will miss the series. THANX FOX EXECS !!!!!