Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Anonymous March 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Loved it want more

Anonymous March 2, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Love it.I can’t believe they cancelled it!

megan March 2, 2014 at 10:28 am

THEY NEED TO MAKE ANOTHER SERIES!!!

Miss S March 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm

just stumbled across mercy on netflix (and thought I would check it out as Taylor Schilling was great in Orange is the new black) and got sucked in right away. Every episode was brilliant and as a few others have pointed out, mercy is not a cliched hosiptal drama at all, but funny, good dialogue, characters and original – I am desparate to know what happens in season 2…. damn the show cancellers!!!!

Lori February 28, 2014 at 9:31 pm

this was a great show i loved it ….

Charlotte February 27, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I watched the whole first season of Mercy and I really wanna see season 2! It finished on a cliff hanger and no one likes them!

Courtney February 26, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I absolutely loved this show just recently watched all episodes start to finish in a week because it is very interesting!!!! It left me hanging and I hate that!!! please bring it back!!!

Corrine evans February 26, 2014 at 9:52 am

Brilliant show can’t believe they cancelled at that stage wasn’t even a proper ending, was thrilling, watched all 22 ep over the week…..loved it …bring it back please!!!!!!!

Debra Keller February 26, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I, too, thought it was great. I watched it as it was originally run on tv. I NEVER watch shows on the regular networks because they sometime cancel the series in the middle (happened with Kidnapped and I had to find it on Amazon to see how they saved the kidnapped boy).

However, as the main star is now the main star on “Orange is the New Black” and it’s very very popular (on cable), I doubt it will ever come back. I watch a lot more of the cable channels now because they will carry a series even if it’s not popular til the end as they paid for the full show.

Anonymous February 22, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Gutted I want series 2 I loved it and didn’t hear of it when it was out??

Amanda February 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I honestly didn’t even know about this show when it first aired back in 2009, and let me tell you that if I had I would have watched every single episode and had all my friends watching it as well. I just recently stumbled upon it on HULU PLUS and spent 2-3 days watching all 23 episodes. I just can’t get enough and I’m so disappointed that is has been cancelled. As a nurse, it’s very inspirational and motivating to see television shows like this. I would love to see Mercy return!!!

Aliyah February 18, 2014 at 6:07 pm

How could you take Mercy away it is an awesome show and i love watching it i miss it alot please pt it on a lot of people watch it.

shell February 15, 2014 at 6:20 am

I want it back I miss it !!!!!!!!!!!

vicky cox February 12, 2014 at 2:58 am

I am so dissapointed that thered no more series coming out! You cant just leave the ending like that! At least one more episode just to show us what happens to the two men!!!

Aspen February 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Put mercy back on it is an amazing show and I’m missing it!!!!!!!

Kasey February 7, 2014 at 4:49 am

I just finished watching the entire season and I am so upset they’re not making a second season.
The program was so original, funny, diverse, and exciting! The characters weren’t the cliche bullshit you usually see and if the network promoted this kind of stuff there would have been tonnes of viewers!