Merlin: Cancelled by NBC but Season Two is Still Coming to US

MerlinThe BBC series didn’t exactly bring “magical” ratings to NBC during its short run last summer but Merlin’s second season will still be seen here in the states.

Merlin follows the life of the legendary wizard in early adulthood, living in the court of King Uther, Arthur’s father. The series stars Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Prince Arthur, Anthony Head as King Uther, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Gwen, Richard Wilson as Gaius, and John Hurt as the voice of the Great Dragon.

A production of BBC One, Merlin has been a big enough success in the UK to be renewed for seasons two and three. NBC picked up the supernatural show and decided to run the first season during the summer of 2009. The ratings weren’t very good and the network has been mum on any plans to bring it back.

Does it matter to you that Merlin's on SyFy and not NBC?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Now, there’s word that Merlin is indeed coming back to the US — but not on NBC. Word is that Syfy (also owned by NBC Universal) will begin airing season two of Merlin on Friday, April 2nd; paired with the returning Stargate Universe.

If you need a refresher on season one, Syfy will be airing the episodes during an all-day marathon on March 28th. You can also purchase the official DVD release but that won’t hit stores until April 20th. It’s a five-disc set and will contain all 13 episodes as well as two hours of extras that will include video diaries and a featurette.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Merlin is returning to the US? Does it matter to you that it’s on Syfy and not NBC?

cindy November 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm

nbc come on please return merlin back alot of people miss it and its hard to watch it in other programs that people dont have like me please put i back its really good

admin November 24, 2010 at 9:51 pm

@cindy: It runs on Syfy and is returning for season three in January.

Sharon November 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I absolutely loved watching Merlin. My whole family did. I have to agree with many of the comments. It is a great show without all the drugs, sex, etc.. Please bring the show back. It is great for all age groups. Its a great show that families can watch together, for a change.

Anonymous November 19, 2010 at 7:47 am

People would rather watch The Simpsons and King Of The Hill over actual good shows what is the world coming to…stupidity!
Merlin was an amazing show. I loved it!
I hope SyFy brings back Merlin.

O'neil November 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I am a fan of SyFy. It airs some of the best shows. Merlin being one of them. I am glad that it is considering showing the new seasons and happy that it will putting them on their network.

Anonymous November 12, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Loved it

jerri carlock November 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

I hope The SYFY Channel brings Merlin back. Our Family enjoys it so much.

corinne November 3, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I, too love this series and really hope you bring it back on syfy. I like that it no sex drugs violence just mystique and great characters. you have to give shows a chance to build a fan-base. look at buffy – cancelled and picked up by another network and BOOM cult-phenomenon that went on for 10 seasons and had a very successful spin-off with angel.

bring back merlin, invest time in it and let it grow

another over-50 fan

juanita mendez October 31, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I cant express enough, just how much I real enjoy this show.
I has the purity that TV lacks.

Charm September 26, 2010 at 5:44 am

It’s very difficult for the show to bring in really good ratings when it shows 6mths to a year later. People have the internet and can see all the new episodes sometimes right away or a couple hours later. I like the series and hope it continues to do well.

GoDux November 28, 2010 at 7:43 pm

You say with the internet we can watch all the new episodes? Could you post where I can see the episode? (http:) That would be great!

Barbara September 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Bring back Merlin to the USA!

Kathy September 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW! HAVE SEEN ALL EPISODES FROM THE BEGINNING. THANKS, USA NETWORK, KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB.

Mae September 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Give the show a chance. It’s wonderful. A family can watch it together. No sex, drugs or “cussing”. I’ve told several people about the show who did not know it was even on t.v. It has now become their favorite show.

Also, it should be on the SyFy channel because the SYFY channel is fast becoming the most watched channel on tv.

Thanks for bringing the show back!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I’m a fan over 50)

Mae

OldXenaFan August 20, 2010 at 8:37 am

Merlin is just getting good! I agree with the prev posters:

Network producers, if ya keep killing Battlestar, Firefly, SEEKER (grr – SOS!!!), Merlin, Sara Connor Chronicles (double grr), etc., while they’re just BUILDING a fan base, you’ll never know how much money you guys* could really be raking in! Don’t you remember the phenomena of Xena, SG-1, Dr. Who, Trek, Star Wars**? You could be rolling in cash cows like that, & the fans could be happy instead of belligerent for a change!

Maybe you’re just upset because you couldn’t distinguish the Merlins from the Harry Potters @ Comic-Con… Oh wait, you wouldn’t have been there to know. You don’t understand the fans. We’re just numbers on a report. I wonder how you manage to market to us, then?

*Yes, they’re at least 85% male. I’m not being sexist. Read the fracking credits.
**Clone Wars series seems pretty stable.

Liz August 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I love to watch the Merlin series and would continue to . I think it’s a terrible shame what is happening to TV today. There is to much time watching reality shows and that’s all they keep showing. I mean “get a life” guys and stop watching other peoples lives. It’s pure garbage.

Sara August 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Does anyone know if it’ll be back on again?