Merlin

MerlinNetwork: NBC, Syfy
Episodes: 65 (hour)
Seasons: Five

TV show dates: June 21, 2009 – May 31, 2013
Series status: Ended

Performers include: Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Anthony Head, John Hurt, Richard Wilson, Katie McGrath, Angel Coulby, Michelle Ryan, Caroline Faber, Michael Cronin, David Durham, Gary Oliver, Rick English, and Ed Coleman.

merlin past TV show

TV show description:
A drama series that brings a new take to the story of Merlin (Colin Morgan), the sorcerer of Arthurian legend.

In this version, the mythical kingdom of Camelot is a fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious people, a dangerous world where magic has been banned by the stern and protective king, Uther Pendragon (Anthony Stewart Head).

When Merlin, a young man gifted with extraordinary magical powers, arrives in the kingdom, he quickly makes enemies — including the heir to Uther’s crown, headstrong Prince Arthur (Bradley James). Guided by Uther’s wise physician Gaius (Richard Wilson) and The Great Dragon (voiced by John Hurt), Merlin begins use his talents to unlock Camelot’s numerous mystical secrets. As he does so, he discovers that his destiny and that of Arthur, the kingdom’s young leader in waiting, are inextricably linked. Merlin becomes Arthur’s servant and begins to bond with the Prince

Morgana (Katie McGrath) is the daughter of Uther’s deceased best friend, and now the King’s ward. Despite their class differences, she is best friends with her servant girl, Gwen (Angel Coulby). Though Gwen generally has an open and friendly personality, she occasionally butts heads with Arthur.

Meanwhile, Nimueh (Michelle Ryan), a beautiful and powerful sorceress, is bent on destroying Uther, Arthur, and restoring magic to Camelot.

space

Series Finale

Episode #65 – The Diamond of the Day (part 2)
Merlin escapes the Crystal Cave after regaining his magic. He travels to Camlann and uses his powers to help defeat Morgana’s troops. During the battle, Mordred gives Arthur a fatal wound but Arthur gives him one of his own. As Arthur lays dying, Merlin confesses to his friend that he is a sorcerer and to save him, they must travel to Avalon.

In Camelot, Morgana’s spy is discovered and hanged. Sirs Gwaine and Percival hunt down Morgana. She overpowers them and tortures Gwaine to death, but not before she extracts Arthur’s location from him.

Morgana reaches Merlin and Arthur and attacks them. Wielding Excalibur (which was forged in Dragon’s breath), Merlin kills her but, even with the help of The Great Dragon, does not get Arthur to the island in time. Arthur thanks Merlin for his friendship and loyalty — and then dies in his arms.

The Great Dragon confirms that Arthur is dead. Merlin realizes his destiny is to protect the King’s resting place. He throws Excalibur into the waters of Avalon and then sends Arthur’s body after it.

Guinevere ascends the throne of Camelot and Gaius becomes her mentor. Merlin waits by Avalon for the rise of Arthur. In the present day, we see that an immortal Merlin is still waiting for his friend Arthur to rise again — as the “Once and Future King” is destined to do when Albion’s need is greatest.
First aired: May 31, 2013

space
What do you think? Do you like the Merlin TV series? Do you think it should have ended or continued for a sixth season?

Ellie March 29, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I know that there are millions of people like me, that were addicted to watch this wonderful tv. serie. I would watch it for years. Besides it was a “very sad” ending that demerit the wanders of Merlin, Prince Arthur and Camelot.

Please, keep on going with it. It is the first time I take the time to write for something like this. But I would like it will continue for another five seasons. Thank you!

mack February 14, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Ater reading all the comments on the cancellation of the show Merlin, and finding no one that didn’t like the show, I can but echo all of the previous comments. I think they missed a great opportunity to command a great viewing audience. Myself, I could have watched the show for many years to come. How sad to find something on Tv these days that is liked by so many and then suddenly have it snatched away from you. Poor decision.

Tammy February 4, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Please do not end Merlin this way! It is such a great series, and it should continue. I do not like how it ended and I do not think Arthur should have died. Please, oh, please, have a season six for this series. It could be that Arthur comes back to a troubled Camelot (as the dragon stated) in order to save it! Please reconsider and continue this series!

Diane February 13, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I agree. The ending did not work. I was stunned that it ended that way. It didn’t feel finished, it felt rushed and cut off. At the start of the season I was thrilled to see Merlin starting to come into his own, I could foresee so many great avenues to go with the show. Then toward the end it was starting to bother me that everything was so rushed. The last show I was totally unprepared for since I simply watch seasons as they are completed, I had not realized that this was the last season.

judy gray October 29, 2013 at 5:44 pm

it is good, please bring it back.

B C September 2, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Very good TV show …Sad that it has been canceled. :(

Lavina August 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Please bring merlin back the ending was really nerve racking I’m dying to know what happens next. Merlin is by far the best retelling of king Arthur I’ve ever seen :)

mia July 9, 2013 at 10:01 am

I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT MURLIN GOT CANCELLED IT WAS MY FAVORITE TV SHOW AND THINGS WERE JUST GETTING BETTER AND BETTER !!!!!!! I’M SO UPSET THAT IT GOT CANCELLED !!!!!! :( WHY DID IT GET CANCELLED?!?!?!?!

Joan Cardin June 11, 2013 at 9:26 pm

This is a good show and I looked forward each week to Merlin.

Ranim June 8, 2013 at 4:05 am

Im just in season 1 so i already love it !!!!please dont end it!!!i m obssessed with this show :-D <3

Vedika June 6, 2013 at 9:32 am

I don t like how season 5 ends. Please do a season 6 with a happy end plz plz

MARIA KEATON June 3, 2013 at 8:14 am

PLEASE DONT CANCELLED MERLIN ON THE TV ,BECAUSE OF THE MERLIN SHOW OUR FAMILY GET BACK TOGETHER WATCHING THE SAME SHOW, AND WE REALLY ENJOY THE ADVENTURE AND LOVE MERLIN.PLEASE….PLEASE …. DONT JUST CANCELLED THE SHOW ALL OVER THE WORLD ARE WATCHING MERLIN…PLEASE… THANK YOU HOPE FOR YOUR KIND CONSIDERATION.

Larry May 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I really like this show, wish it could stick around

gina chavez May 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL MERLIN!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW, WHY WOULD YOU CANCEL IT? THERE ARE SO FEW SHOWS THAT ARE DECENT TODAY AND MERLIN IS ONE OF THEM. I NEVER HAD TO FEAR WHEN MY GRANDCHILDREN WATCHED MERLIN WITH ME BECAUSE I KNEW IT WOULD BE OKAY. THEY ALSO LOVED THIS SHOW AND IT GOT THEM INTERESTED IN HISTORY. I READ ALL ABOUT ARTHUR AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE TO THEM. ONE OF MY LITTLE GRANDDAUGHTERS IS GOING TO NAME HER FUTURE CHILD GWENEVERE. HER FAVORITE DOLL IS NAMED GWEN. PLEASE RECONSIDER AND BRING MERLIN BACK. IF I HAD TONS OF MONEY I WOULD PAY YOU. HA! HA! SERIOUSLY BRING THEM ALL BACK.

Carolynne Nelson January 10, 2014 at 2:20 pm

All my family and friends know we don’t call each other when Merlin’s coming on. Does that tell you Mr. executives that you took off the wrong show. Look around there are lots of other shows that are less entertaining then Merlin. Please bring it back. It was one of the few shows on t.v that my husband and I really enjoyed and talked about it afterwards. We really did’nt want it to end each week. If I was a person with money I would bring it back myself. The actors were extraodinary, bring it back with same castmembers please, don’t change anything or anyone.

joeanna May 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

PLEASE leave this show on for a season 6! It is one of the best show on syfy.

Trish May 13, 2013 at 2:43 am

Please keep this show going. I don’t usually plead for a show to be continued but this is a serious exception.