Monk: Stars Talk About Last Episodes and Possible Return

Monk series finaleTonight, we say goodbye to one of television’s most beloved and unique detectives. Adrian Monk is certainly an unlikely hero and it’s perhaps for that reason that viewers will miss him so.

Monk tells the tale of a brilliant San Francisco detective (Tony Shalhoub) who, following the death of his wife in a car bombing, has a nervous breakdown. After being a recluse for three years, Monk returns to the force, barely able to control his obsessive-compulsive disorder. While his phobias often make it difficult for him to function, he’s an incredibly observant sleuth in part because of them.

The long-running USA series has also featured the talents of Jason Gray-Stanford, Ted Levine, Traylor Howard, Stanley Kamel, Bitty Schram, Emmy Clarke, Kane Ritchotte, and Hector Elizondo.

Would you like to see a Monk movie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

While filming the last episode, Howard, who’s played Monk’s assistant Natalie for the past five years, reflected on the end of the show and her co-star. She said, “It doesn’t seem quite real… It’ll be weird not to work with Tony a lot. He’s such a lovely man. And I adore him, and it’s such a great part for a woman and all that stuff.”

Shalhoub didn’t want to know how his character’s story would finish until it was time to shoot the last episodes. He says that he likes the way the show is going out and shared, “When I read the finale, I was really moved and very satisfied. It exceeded my expectations. I thought it was going to be tricky to pull off. It’s a daunting episode emotionally. I discovered, once I was in it, that it all started to come to me. I had been loaded up for eight years.”

In terms of the finale being satisfying for fans, Shalhoub said, “I think what they will feel is kind of a magnification of what I believe they’ve been feeling all along, which is kind of mixed about Monk: Feel good for him, bad for him, frustrated for him… Hoping for his success and for his healing, his recovery.”

While the Monk series finale was written to give the show closure, the cast aren’t necessarily done with their characters just yet. Shalhoub shared,”We’ve talked about a Monk feature. We’ve been talking about that for a long time. The cast would love to do it. But there’s really nothing hard and fast in the pipeline.” In another interview, the actor said, “I just don’t know. I never say never.”

What do you think? Would you like to see Monk and his friends return for a movie?

anonymous August 19, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I loved monk never missed one show .. I still watch it when they show reruns..

kelis August 16, 2012 at 4:36 am

please bring it back loved the show so much

Dan June 22, 2012 at 12:10 am

I feel that Monk is ready for a return feature .
A possible storyline is Randy has a muder or serial murder case
he needs help on so, he calls Monk. 3 years is yoo
long without him .

Anonymous April 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm

They are already making a monk movie called “Mr. Monk for mayor” super exited

Anonymous February 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

i would be so happy to see monk come back!i love natalie but not so much sharona i am getting better with her now though.i am obsessed with monk though, ive seen every episode at least 4 times!

Bill M May 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I loved the characters Sharona and Natalie. This was one of the best TV series ever aired. So funny and charming.

Don January 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I have 118 episodes on DVR and watch one of them almost every day. In the Monk finale, Randy left for a new job in New Jersey and to live with Sharona. I think the most natural event to bring the cast back together and to spark a feature movie would be the news that Randy and Sharona are getting married. Monk and the rest would travel to New Jersey, and there they could get involved in a case that Randy is working on or that happens after they arrive. Just my thought.

Marilyn October 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

Miss MONK and all the characters. Please make MONK moives

Marilyn October 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

Would love to see at least two MONK moives a season. I watch his reruns all the time never tire of them. One of the best shows ever. More MONK, more MONK, more MONK! Love all the cast players, miss them:(

Henry September 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Monk was a really great show and one of the funniest and most intelligent shows ever! The cast didn’t just work well together they fit each other perfectly even after the change from Sharona to Natalie. The show actually made you use your brain to think about the clues. I would love to see the show come back or a movie made. I don’t feel that a new show or a movie if handled correctly would hurt the series finally, I also think the new series would get great ratings. Any network would be doing a smart thing if it brought back Monk as a new series that picked up from the finally of the original series. A great twist for a new Monk series would be Sharona and Natalie becoming detectives, working together and, using Adrian Monk as a consultant. A new series would make a lot of people very happy and it would make any studio and network A LOT OF MONEY!!!!!

Jim C September 6, 2011 at 8:08 am

Yes!!!1-2 per year, easy on actors/staff schedules, and keeps us Monk diehard fans up on the characters lives and mysteries!!! Please do this.

Don August 27, 2011 at 3:06 am

I would love to see another Monk flick just as though Sharona is there. Letting her go was a mistake and shortly after I quit watching. I just don’t like Traylor Howard as Natalie. The show wasn’t originally written with her in it and it didn’t feel as relaxed as it was before. Bitty asked for more money and she was let go instead of paying her for a hit show at the time. The rattings went down after Bitty left and went back up for the last show when she came back.

cj May 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Would love to see the cast together again. Particularly Monk and Natalie and Julie interacting – Monk’s reaction to Julie was invariably hilarious! Rest of cast Captain, Lt. Disher were also just great. Not sure how to get them all back together tho’, not with Randy leaving with Sharona… but heck, they got the x-file’s folks together again, so somebody’s probably got a good idea… hoping.

-phred

Sam December 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I miss monk soo much if the show came back it would b the best day of my life :D

Kenton November 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm

One of my favorite shows ever. My girlfriend and I would look forward to every friday, not because we were done with classes for the week and to go out, but to watch Monk. Even though I would love to see a comback, I think this was one of those shows that ended perfectly and had closure. I don’t want them to ruin a perfect finish.

Sophia November 6, 2010 at 11:33 am

YES! If monk came back it would be the best day of my life, I mean it. I lve you Monk! so much!

Bill King February 14, 2012 at 10:07 am

We loved Monk. My wife and I discovered its genius format in re-run land. We have watched every episode. WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE MONK in a FEATURE TV MOVIE VENUE……just as they did with Perry Mason. The condition of the characters at close can be reprived…..even if MONK is a little less compulsive but always aware of his inner self being fearsome of the same things or even if the Captain is in a different role or retireed…..easy to write….. Bring us a MONK reprise even if just TWO TV MOVIES A YEAR for a while. Thank you.