Monk: Series Finale Brings Record Number of Viewers

MonkMr. Adrian Monk has left television on a high note. The last episode of the quirky Monk series drew a record number of viewers to USA.

The last episode of Monk, which aired Friday night, attracted some 9.4 million viewers with a little less than a third of them in the 18-49 demographic. According to THR, that marks the show’s largest audience for not only the show but for a commercial cable channel as well. The previous record-holder was an episode of TNT’s The Closer with 9.2 million viewers.

That high performance helped bring a season-high audience to White Collar as well. The fall finale of the freshman series attracted 5.5 million viewers, marking USA’s best Friday night performance at 10pm in more than three years.

Of the performance, USA’s president of original programming Jeff Wachtel, said, “What a perfect way for Monk, our first tentpole success, to finish its run — going out even stronger than it came in, and helping to launch another great show, White Collar.”

Jacob April 9, 2010 at 5:09 am

I miss you monk :|

“its touching” “no its touching” seperates food

I think monk would be good if we got to see him hang out with his daughter and solve crimes whatever.

It brought my family together we would all wait for monk to come on since i was like 7 or around there im 13 now and it was fun seeing charectors on monk grow up ille miss it :)

MGBelle January 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Still can’t believe it is over. I am broken hearted. My family used to look forward to friday nights Monk and Psych combo. But now we don’t get together anymore. Age’s ranged from a ten year old to sixty five. Together we would watch and all week we would share jokes such as lobby, lobby, lobby. I have nature on me, Its a gift and a curse,the monk says….ect… Now with Monk gone and Psych moved to Wed. nights. That’s gone. We still love Psych but with the move to Wen. and no 2009 xmas show we are waiting for the other shoe to drop on Psych. I am now afraid to commit to anymore usa shows. USA cancelled a top rated show. I and my family no longer watches burn notice, royal pains, in plain sight, and no one likes white collar. And we really tried. Please bring Monk back. And bring families and trust back together.

gerry December 16, 2009 at 11:51 am

I hope another network would offer to make more seasons the show.

Eric December 10, 2009 at 10:06 pm

I seriously don’t understand how people still don’t know why Monk is going off the air. It wasn’t canceled. The crew ended the show because they felt it was time to move on and they didn’t want to keep drawing it out like some overrun shows become. Monk is one of the most successful shows ever. So I really don’t understand how people still think it was canceled.

On a side note, everyone should definitely watch Burn Notice when it comes back in a few weeks. It is the best show on TV :) Well, that and Psych.

Avenger December 11, 2009 at 11:52 am

I know it wasn’t canceled. It’s just hard to see a successfully run show die out.
I prefer Psych over Burn Notice. Just could never get into Burn Notice.

Now, you may remember or not, the show “Traveler” that was great. But, it was taken off the air as well as “Flash Point” Enjoyed them both.

admin December 11, 2009 at 12:40 pm

@Avenger: Flashpoint hasn’t been cancelled. It’ll return to CBS sometime in 2010.

Avenger December 11, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I had been watching but didn’t see any details about it. That’s great!!

Thank you!!!

Avenger December 10, 2009 at 11:30 am

“Monk” come back!!!!!!!!!!

Renita December 10, 2009 at 7:58 am

Loved this show. It’s sad that it’s leaving and the only thing left on TV is CRAP.

I don’t understand how they end shows like this one and leave crappy shows on for years.

Avenger December 10, 2009 at 11:29 am

I agree there is nothing on but CRAP! Although, I do enjoy the shows “Chuck” “Psych” “NCIS” “Ghost Whisperer” I truly liked Flash Point but they canceled that show as well. “Monk” was my all time favorite!!

Avenger December 7, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I will sadly miss MONK My entire family enjoyed watching the show every Friday night and when we were not at home, we would record the show. I am hoping that Tony will consider coming back. Since he played in Wings, I truly feel that MONK was his best t.v. series. The writers were superb! “Coming from a fellow writer herself!” I hope Tony and the cast read all of the viewers comments and know that we would love to see MONK back and soon!!!!

Best regards~

Joe Doc December 7, 2009 at 12:23 pm

A great show that ended at the right time. Well done to USA.