My Name Is Earl: TBS in Talks for Season Five of Cancelled Sitcom

My Name Is EarlThe once popular My Name Is Earl sitcom was cancelled last month. After four seasons on NBC, the show’s executive producer, Greg Garcia, was informed early in the morning, just 30 minutes before the news was given to the press.

While being dumped by the peacock network didn’t come as a huge surprise, Garcia wasn’t ready for the show to end. He told the LA Times, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

It was largely presumed that the FOX network would take on Earl since the sitcom’s produced by a sister company, 20th Century Fox Television. Execs at the network apparently downplayed the possibility and, when the time came, decided to pass.

Would you like to see Earl saved?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Suplee, “Randy” on the show, broke the news to fans, writing, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

Now, TBS is apparently interested in keeping Earl going. The cable channel has been airing the show in syndication and expressed some interest in picking up the show at the May upfronts.

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, told Company Town that the network likes to develop original programming but that new episodes of an established show like Earl would be an asset in drawing viewers to sample them. At the time, Koonin hadn’t been approached by 20th Century Fox but said, “Tell them to give me a call. We’re in the book.”

The discussions for 13 new episodes of Earl are still in the early stages and there are a some major hurdles that would need to be overcome before they could become a reality. The actors and writers have all been released from their contracts and they’d have to be renegotiated. Also, the show is an expensive single-camera comedy and the overall budget would be an issue as well.

On the positive side however, the show is already in syndication and more episodes would mean additional rerun money for years to come. With that in mind, the studio and participating talent will likely want to make the deal work if at all possible.

While Earl’s return is still considered a longshot, the fact that there are discussions to revive the series is certainly a good sign. What do you think?

Anonymous October 19, 2014 at 7:56 am

Bring back Earl!!!! It’s a great show with a good message. I don’t know why they cancelled it in the first place. We need more shows like my name is Earl.

Rich October 18, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Bring back my name is earl dammit!!!!!!

slim September 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Its a good show Netflix should pick it up, I believe they would have the best chance at making it work

Priscilla September 21, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Fantastic show! My oldest has been in a lot of trouble and this show has shown him that you should make up for everything done bad. I think it should be brought back! I hope to see this sitcom on another network!

Big Eddy September 8, 2014 at 7:22 am

My wife and I would love to see more of My name is earl! We luv watchin TBS!!

Caralyn September 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I absolutely love the show “My Name Is Earl” I watched it in my teens and continue to rewatch the seasons as an adult. This Show is very entertaining and has always given me something to laugh about and characters to connect with. I am very disappointed that they might not continue with the show. I would love to be able to finish “My Name Is Earl” to the end and see Earl complete his list and watch the adventures that go with it!

Anonymous August 25, 2014 at 11:29 am

Have to bring Earl back. This is best show. My son and I have been watching all the seasons on Netflix. I feel it sends out a positive message instead of all this reality tv BS.

Prajol Topiwala July 28, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Seriously have to keep this show alive! I’ve been watching it forever and the cliffhanger at the end of season 4 is crazy. You can’t let Earl die. We have to find out who Earl Jr. father is.

William Robinson July 26, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I like this show alot. NetFlex should pick it up.

Anonymous August 13, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Netflix

samantha prewitt May 28, 2014 at 4:01 am

I love the show ” my name is earl”!! I just finished season 4 and am so disappointed there not a follow up season! I would be really happy to see the show continue and defiantly watch any season that would be to come

Leslie iness May 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

Bring back my name is earl this show is a great show really left us in suspense I would really like to know who Earl Jr. father is but I love the show it’s a good funny comedy tv show there’s never gonna be a show as funny as my name is earl

garet weatherford April 6, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Bring back my name is earl!!! You guys left us on a cliff!! I love this show. I’ve watched every season 3 times!! We want to know who earl jr. Father is!!

edwin hernandez December 15, 2013 at 11:32 pm

ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ITS GREAT AND AMAZING EVERYONE I KNOW SHOW “MY NAME IS EARL” ON NETFLIX AND EVERYONE ENJOYS IT! THEY SHOULD KEEP IT GOING! ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS! KEEP IT GOING!!!!

Mike Kelly December 16, 2013 at 4:20 am

Bring back earl I watched ever episode from the begening and think it a funny but down to earth show. I wAs upset the show was canceled I feel it need to play out to end. I like the small town feel the show has people need that. Bring back EARL!

Mike kelly October 17, 2013 at 11:24 am

Bring back Earl is the best TV show I’ve seen in a long time. If there were more sessions people would have more time to fall in love with the show. The way it should end is on a good note not leave us wishing or hoping for more.

Chas July 21, 2014 at 5:58 pm

My Name Is Earl is the best and funniest show since How I Met Your Mother! And says a lot! 9 seasons of HIMYM, I felt satisfied with ending. You honestly cannot end the show on a cliff like this! Fucked up too all the loving fans!!! Wtf?!?!