My Name Is Earl: TBS in Talks for Season Five of Cancelled Sitcom

My Name Is EarlThe once popular My Name Is Earl sitcom was cancelled last month. After four seasons on NBC, the show’s executive producer, Greg Garcia, was informed early in the morning, just 30 minutes before the news was given to the press.

While being dumped by the peacock network didn’t come as a huge surprise, Garcia wasn’t ready for the show to end. He told the LA Times, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

It was largely presumed that the FOX network would take on Earl since the sitcom’s produced by a sister company, 20th Century Fox Television. Execs at the network apparently downplayed the possibility and, when the time came, decided to pass.

Would you like to see Earl saved?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Suplee, “Randy” on the show, broke the news to fans, writing, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

Now, TBS is apparently interested in keeping Earl going. The cable channel has been airing the show in syndication and expressed some interest in picking up the show at the May upfronts.

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, told Company Town that the network likes to develop original programming but that new episodes of an established show like Earl would be an asset in drawing viewers to sample them. At the time, Koonin hadn’t been approached by 20th Century Fox but said, “Tell them to give me a call. We’re in the book.”

The discussions for 13 new episodes of Earl are still in the early stages and there are a some major hurdles that would need to be overcome before they could become a reality. The actors and writers have all been released from their contracts and they’d have to be renegotiated. Also, the show is an expensive single-camera comedy and the overall budget would be an issue as well.

On the positive side however, the show is already in syndication and more episodes would mean additional rerun money for years to come. With that in mind, the studio and participating talent will likely want to make the deal work if at all possible.

While Earl’s return is still considered a longshot, the fact that there are discussions to revive the series is certainly a good sign. What do you think?

Andre Silvestri February 26, 2015 at 11:52 pm

This is why i don’t watch tv i been watching shows on Netflix and I’ve found out either they go on too long or they don’t get finished so don’t invest your time in somethin that can’t be finished or interacts on too long breaking bad was my favorite but it even went a season too many after Gus died it should have been the end but went on another season my name is earl probably could of went 7 8 seasons but got canceled there are many i seen them change cast not good or not give the show a chance that’s all i got to say about that my name forest forest gump lol

Anonymous March 4, 2015 at 10:55 am

I love that show bring it back

Anonymous March 4, 2015 at 10:57 am

I loved that show bring it back

Anonymous February 18, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I cant believe this show is over. If they can’t do the show Id like to read the screen play.

EARLSBIGFAN February 18, 2015 at 4:37 pm

You keep trying i loved that show just finished it and i flipped out cuz it was over and then i heard the news and wanted to cry ps funny shit every

F u February 17, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I loved the movie fuck u fuck u

brad thacker February 17, 2015 at 12:07 am

That is ridiculous how they ended it I cannot believe it im going to go nuts this show is an inspiration we can’t just have it taken away like that this show made me want to be a better person.

Cody bryant February 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I wish they would bring it back we didn’t even get to find out who earl juniors dad was.

Ryder February 9, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Bring it back already, loved it.

Chelsea February 5, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Please can someone bring this show back. It should be illegal to just end a show like that. This show is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. The cast is amazing and the story lines are great. Come on TBS continue My Name is Earl! PLEASE!

kyle williams January 27, 2015 at 8:34 pm

i hated that we didnt get to find out Dodge’s dad was, AND EARL DIDNT EVEN FINISH THE LIST

kyle williams January 27, 2015 at 8:33 pm

chad January 18, 2015 at 3:12 am

Bring this show back. If only another company would take it on. It really is a great show and has been a bonding experience to my brother who passed away. This show always makes me smile and laugh. Life feels a little better after I watch an episode.

Barton January 13, 2015 at 4:49 am

This show has not only been bringing me joy and laughter, but it has also opened up my eyes to “Karma”. Since I began watching the show I’ve been looking over the things I’ve done in my life and it kind of makes sense that I haven’t been getting good outcomes. I’ve really been living on the rule “Do good things and good things will happen” I would love to see My Name Is Earl come back on the air even though it’s been six years.