My Name Is Earl: TBS in Talks for Season Five of Cancelled Sitcom

My Name Is EarlThe once popular My Name Is Earl sitcom was cancelled last month. After four seasons on NBC, the show’s executive producer, Greg Garcia, was informed early in the morning, just 30 minutes before the news was given to the press.

While being dumped by the peacock network didn’t come as a huge surprise, Garcia wasn’t ready for the show to end. He told the LA Times, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

It was largely presumed that the FOX network would take on Earl since the sitcom’s produced by a sister company, 20th Century Fox Television. Execs at the network apparently downplayed the possibility and, when the time came, decided to pass.

Would you like to see Earl saved?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Suplee, “Randy” on the show, broke the news to fans, writing, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

Now, TBS is apparently interested in keeping Earl going. The cable channel has been airing the show in syndication and expressed some interest in picking up the show at the May upfronts.

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, told Company Town that the network likes to develop original programming but that new episodes of an established show like Earl would be an asset in drawing viewers to sample them. At the time, Koonin hadn’t been approached by 20th Century Fox but said, “Tell them to give me a call. We’re in the book.”

The discussions for 13 new episodes of Earl are still in the early stages and there are a some major hurdles that would need to be overcome before they could become a reality. The actors and writers have all been released from their contracts and they’d have to be renegotiated. Also, the show is an expensive single-camera comedy and the overall budget would be an issue as well.

On the positive side however, the show is already in syndication and more episodes would mean additional rerun money for years to come. With that in mind, the studio and participating talent will likely want to make the deal work if at all possible.

While Earl’s return is still considered a longshot, the fact that there are discussions to revive the series is certainly a good sign. What do you think?

james April 17, 2015 at 9:22 am

Need to put the show back on

james April 17, 2015 at 9:20 am

Hello

I loved the show it was the show i could relate to lol.. It made my day

Portia April 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I really hope they continue the series with a final season! I forgot how much I loved this show until I just rewatched all four seasons on netflix. They can’t just leave us hanging like that, we have to know how it all ends!!

Earlfanatic April 16, 2015 at 11:35 am

Please please bring my name is earl back!

Jaydon April 13, 2015 at 8:09 pm

I’m begging, bring it back, this show is amazing, better than a lot ive seen, it just leave us fans hanging and its annoying, i watch this show with my brother every night, its funny, and amazingg! Bring it back ASAP! (:

Josh April 12, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Bring it back i want to know what happened. On episode 27 of season 4 it said to be continued but it wasnt so what the hell garcia!

Anonymous April 12, 2015 at 1:46 am

Please put the show back on I’m feeling out I need to no what happens

shane April 9, 2015 at 7:31 pm

I love you this tv show everytime I go to sleep in watch this I miss it sooooo much bring it back :(

VENISHAAH LEE April 9, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I JUST WATCHED ALL FOUR SEASONS OF MY NAME IS EARL AND I AM SO DISAPPOINTED THAT THE NETWORK WOULDNT DO A FINAL SEASON.I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A SEASON FIVE?WHO IS EARL JRS DAD?AND DOES DODGE GET TO FIND OUT EARL IS HIS REAL DAD?WHAT HAPPENS TO CRABMAN AND JOY? SO MANY QUESTIONS/?????????????????

Sabrina April 8, 2015 at 2:06 am

Plz make new episodes it said to be continud I want to know what happens its a great show plz just plz put it back on I watched all 4seasons on Netflix so how about Garcia and Netflix make a deal plz plz bring earl back

Earl Shortridge April 4, 2015 at 10:41 am

This is one if the funniest shows of all time bring it back….

Peter hernsndez March 29, 2015 at 12:20 am

You have to be kidding me. A show like this deserves a final seasons. This reminds me of married with children. One of those classic shows that never gets a ending please someone get this show its final season or more no I might be late please someone make this happen. I think this show will flourish on HBO or showtime so if anyone out there please least one more season please lol sincerely years too late