New Amsterdam: FOX Cancels Immortal Show

New AmsterdamFOX has decided to cut short the run of New Amsterdam, the dramatic TV show about an immortal cop from the Big Apple.

The series has had a rough ride at the network. Amsterdam was initially scheduled for Fall 2007 but was pushed back to mid-season. On top of that, FOX cut its episode order from 13 to eight episodes.

On the positive side, the series was scheduled for an unpopular Friday night timeslot but was ultimately given a shot on Monday nights.

Amsterdam’s season average of 8.34 million weekly viewers isn’t great but it certainly outperformed and outlasted Canterbury’s Law.

Though FOX considered continuing the story of John Amsterdam (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) for another year, the network ultimately decided his story had come to an end. Still, Amsterdam executive producer David Manson hopes that the series will live on and find a new home on another network. Will that happen? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Amelia Boos January 18, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Just a thought & curious as to why not try the show again? I never got a chance to watch the show on tv & why if the no network wants to retry the show put it on DVD even if it’s just a few short stories? Kinda hard to watch & download by computer. I loved this show!!

Clinton January 7, 2014 at 12:46 am

Awesome show I can’t believe it was canceled. It seems only crap shows stay on air.

Dawn June 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

To Fox Network, SHAME on you and the jerks who decided to cancel a great show like New Amsterdam. You left everyone dangling as to what would happen to John. You cancel great shows like this and produce SHIT reality shows like Jersey Girls, Various Housewives of all over (and who the hell cares about those fake people), Salon takeover and so on. It’s not like in the old days when they had a good television series it ran on and on. Now you supposedly save money with the crap you air. What a crime…..I would hope that someone in the Fox corporation would reconsider bringing New Amsterdam back. The characters are a little older and wiser. Please don’t be A–Holes…There’s enough of them in this world as it is. Thank you.

Dawn June 30, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Fox networks: What a shame! New Amsterdam was a great show and I really enjoyed watching it. I watched it on Hulu and in two days because it was that good…You replaced something that good with Reality Shit Shows on TV. This showed the Big Apple my home state and the various characters were great too! They brought life to it…Whom ever decides to cut these shows should have their testicles cut off and start getting rid of the reality shows and bring back shows like these. Who cares how these reality people live. We all have dreams, goals and desires. This show let people use their imaginations to see back to 1642 and the various lives that the main character lives. You cut it off to soon. Is their any chance of bringing it back?

Eileen June 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I loved this show too. Still watch it every so often on Hulu. Would love to buy the series on DVD. If any one has it or knows where I can buy it, please EMail me. It seems like all the great shows get dumped and the crap floats to the top.

Veronica July 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I loved this show, I still wonder where it went or what happened, what do we have to do to get it back? I would even pay for it if just released on dvd. There are too many badly written shows that stay on, this one was great and then cancelled?!? Get a grip Hollywood!