Numb3rs: TV Show Cancelled by CBS; No Season Seven

Numb3rsAs expected, CBS has pulled the plug on their long-running drama, Numb3rs. A mainstay of the Friday night schedule, brothers Charlie and Don Eppes won’t be back next fall with a seventh season.

Numb3rs revolves around an FBI agent (Rob Morrow) and his genius brother (David Krumholtz) who helps solve cases with mathematics. The cast also features Judd Hirsch (as their father), Alimi Ballard, Dylan Bruno, Navi Rawat, Aya Sumika, and Peter MacNicol.

The cancellation doesn’t come as much of a surprise, especially when you look at the figures.

The ratings have dropped quite a bit in recent years. Last season fell to an average of a 2.2 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 10.2 million total viewers. This season, the ratings dropped further still, to a 1.8 rating and 8.26 million viewers. CBS cut the show’s episode order from 22 to 16 installments last fall. While the official word was that CBS had an overflow of original programming, networks don’t usually cut the orders of successful shows.

Should Numb3rs have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The cast and crew filmed what could serve as a series finale and Morrow and Krumholtz signed on for new TV show pilots. While the actors would be contractually obligated to return to Numb3rs if CBS decided to renew it, ABC and FOX were confident that they wouldn’t.

Last week, it was confirmed that the show’s sets were being dismantled, another sign that Numb3rs was finished. CBS has now made the cancellation official.

On the positive side, Morrow will return next fall in a new series for ABC called The Whole Truth. He’ll play an attorney opposite Joely Richardson. Unfortunately, Krumholtz’s comedy pilot, Tax Man, was not picked up by FOX for the 2010-11 season.

What do you think? Are you satisfied with the way that Numb3rs ended? What will you miss about the show? Will you give The Whole Truth a try?

Tiffany August 2, 2013 at 8:11 am

I am so sad that this tv show got cancelled it was the only one i was interested in and it had no disgusting sexual scenes in it, so i liked it and it was interesting to watch and learn things. i think they should make a 7th series because i know quite a few people who would watch it.

ive watched the 6 seasons quite a few times now so yea you can call me a fan of the show.

JR July 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm

It certainly is/was a good show. Our schools are failing us. Shows like this help create interest in math and science. Parents should make their kids watch shows like this!

FalconFlyer June 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm

well im several years late on this but even though I was sad that CBS cancelled this show, personally I really enjoyed it and definitely think it had a few more seasons in it, on the flip side i’m glad that at least the show got to have a complete ending, and CBS didn’t just milk the show until it was a broken shadow of its former self (like they’re doing with Two and a Half Men) It started strong, had a successful run and ended on a high note, Charlie would tell you the odds of that happening to a TV show these days are pretty slim.

Kathy Kolar June 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm

We cannot believe CBS and their decision making personnel. You finally get a top shelf show, we watch it every week, and you want to cancel it. Truthfully you don’t have many good shows, perhaps you should rethink your decision to cancel this great television show before it’s too late. There are a huge numb3r of fans. Yes, there are many police shows but, there is nothing like this anywhere. Well writen, directed, a great cast and it’s so interesting to find out how all these crimes are solved using numb3rs. Best thing since sliced bread.

bianca June 14, 2013 at 1:44 am

I just finished watching all the seasons on netflix and i didn’t want it to be over . I’m shocked and mad that such a good show was cancled. i know it’s been 4 years since the show was canceled but you guys should really consider re airing the show . Numb3rs is such an amazing show in so many ways that most don’t see . Please bring Numb3rs back

bianca June 10, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Please bring the show backk

Holly Nadeau March 31, 2013 at 9:13 am

Finally an intelligent yet captivating show and its gone…. but they keep things that take no thought and keep them going? BRING BACK NUM3RRS!!!!

patricia israel March 30, 2013 at 12:26 am

Why did they ever cancel num3ers tv show. I know it was canceled 3years ago but it wasthe best show ever i love this show. They should bring it back and put it on saturday night when there ain’t crap on the tv even though there are a million cable channels out there i would still watch this.i am watching it now on netflex..i will keep watching even though you canceled it. Bad choice!!!!.

Mariah December 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’m really going to miss the show I wanted 2 find out if don n robin were goin to get married and if Charlie n Amita were goin 2 have kids and if Megan was ever comin back nw I have 2 find somethin else 2 watch hope nobody cancels criminal minds geeez!!

Alan December 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

Never liked the show anyway because it’s trying to be clever like a lot of TV shows do now but the way they use maths to solve everything is just ridiculous and wildly unbelievable, and I just find it incredibly formulaic and predictable.

davey papey December 5, 2012 at 1:27 am

that bitch canceldd a great sho. now what. wel. email me to fin out biatches….

KAREN BIRD November 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Why this show was cancelled I would like to know. This was the best show there was. The reaction between the members of the cast was evident to see they were like a family. Please let us have it back again its like losing an old friend. The least they could have done was to bring it back say after Charlie returns back from England, it has left us not knowing if Don gets married or if Larry ever finds true love. Its left us with so many question that needs to be answered.

nick August 11, 2012 at 7:27 am

please bring this series back it was fantastic. its impossible to find a series now where they dont have an annoying chrachter or 2 but they were all very likable in this one. makes me wonder why they are still airing crap like burn notice where you get pissed off with each episode with either micheal or mostly fiona..(geez i wish she died instead of nate)anyways yes most series always have those bad apples . even a proclaimed series like walking dead gave me so many mad moments i wanted to give up alot of times but with numb3rs it always ended on a good note and 9 times out of 10 i was smiling for the final scenes of each episode.

SUSAN BARNES July 23, 2012 at 8:46 am

I REALLY LIKE THE SHOW. HATE TO SEE IT CANCELLED

Dee May 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Let me start by saying I did watch Numb3rs on CBS when it aired. I am a huge fan of Rob Morrow and basically if he’s in it I’m watching. Anyway, like many other fans I thought the shows time slot was not always the best and I love that Net Flix has it now so I can catch up on the episodes I missed. CBS needs to seriously consider bringing this show back. The math aspect is a great example of showing people….kids especially….how it is used everyday without even thinking about it. As for the storyline if it were brought back…..they are endless.

They could go off the premise that Charlie and Amita have been in England (they stayed a year more than they planned) and now they are returning and thus the show begins again. However, just as in real life, their lives have changed over time. Don and Robin would surely be married by now, perhaps embarking on parenthood? Don would have a new job at the FBI, having moved up the ranks at the end of season 6. They could keep the characters from the office that worked (Liz and Colby) ditch Nikki (she never fit in right) and go after cases in a new manner of some sort. Oh, and bring back David or Megan! As for Charlie and Amita, I could see their jobs abroad having changed them significantly. They might be more research motivated towards finding a cure for something …..? I just felt that by the end of season 6 all they did was FBI stuff and that became unrealistic. Leave those investigative skills to Don and the gang and go back to the Season 1-2-3 aspect of assisting in theories but not so heavy handed on solving the crime. To me thats when the ratings started to go down hill.

I just can’t believe the stuff they renew vs cancelling a show with so much potential still out there. Get your thinking caps back on tv land and bring back Numb3rs !!!