October Road: TV Show Costar Says Series Finale Date Set

October RoadAfter an all-too-brief two season run on ABC, the network cancelled October Road. Viewers were left hanging with lots of unanswered questions. Will Hannah end up with “Big Cat” or Nick? Who is young Sam’s father?

October Road follows Nick Garrett (Bryan Greenberg), an acclaimed writer who hits it big after writing a novel about his small town. When he develops writers block, he returns to face the family and friends he’d left behind. The ABC show also stars Laura Prepon, Brad William Henke, Geoff Stults, Tom Berenger, Jay Paulson, Evan Jones, Warren Christie, Slade Pearce, Odette Yustman, Rebecca Field, Jonathan Murphy, Lindy Booth, Elizabeth Bogush, and Penny Johnson.

Immediately after hearing of the show’s cancellation, the show’s creators – Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg – sat down and wrote a brief ending for Road. Appelbaum said, “It’s sort of like therapy for us, but the most important thing is that it means closure for the fans.” Soonafter, the cast of the show signed on to do the mini-episode that would wrap up the show and answer most of viewers’ long-running questions. Appelbaum continued, “Whether the show went two years or seven years, there’s always been a particular moment and piece of closure that we wanted and we’re going to be able to get to that intended end.”

Who should Hannah end up with?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the piece was written, the team of writers had already committed to Life on Mars and many in the cast were booked on other projects. As time went on, though all continued to express a commitment to the project, fans couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy that the finale might not ever be shot.

Well, it seems that “Don’t Look Back: An Epilogue for an Epic Love” is finally being made. According to a post from Murphy (Ronnie Garrett on Road), the tentative plan is to film the finale next weekend, on January 24th in Los Angeles. The actor doesn’t offer any story details but promises that fans’ questions will finally be answered.

Murphy notes that the finale is still planned to be released as part of the Road season two DVD set. There’s no word about when that actually will be made available but it seems almost certain that it will happen eventually.

A division of Disney-ABC released Road’s first season set and it sold well. In August 2008, Lionsgate announced that it had made a deal to release a number of DVD sets of Disney-ABC series. Road was mentioned specifically as being part of that deal. We haven’t seen it yet but Lionsgate has likely been waiting for this finale to be shot so that it could be included.

Hopefully “roadies” won’t have to wait too much longer to see how their favorite story end. Any thoughts on how the tale will end?

Jennifer May 30, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Love October Road. Why is it not on? It was one of the best shows on tv. The network killed this show…..not anyone else. Writer’s strike and poor show time and advertisement. I found it regardless of when it was on. Please, please bring it back.

amy May 20, 2009 at 11:18 am

Wow we are in May of 2009 and people are still upset. I thought I was alone. These networks are so out of it. They continue to start a series, get people hooked on a storyline and characters, then drop it for no good reason. I can just imagine them running through the libraries and bookstores tearing out the last few pages or chapter of all the books and going oooooohhhh yeah!!!! While they laugh maniacially. Really, really, really frustrating. They have done this to so many shows and they should be forced to at least give us a finale of those story lines. Right???

Cala May 19, 2009 at 7:59 am

My husband and I loved to watch this show together. This was the only show that we would watch together. I think it was ridiculous for ABC to cancel this show. I work in the legal field and if there was some way to make you put the show back on the air, I would do it. Ten minutes to answer all of our unanswered questions, come on, you call yourself writers……….give us a full episode 1 hour to tell us what the truth is and what will happen in the future. If it has to be canceled, leave the devoted viewers with closure and everything being okay. ABC, get it together and when you start a show at least give it more than 2 seasons for it to catch the attention of viewers, and don’t air it on the same night as Idol. That was an ABC mess up and they should have fixed it.

Jennifer May 18, 2009 at 6:47 am

PLEASE BRING BACK OCTOBER ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

admin May 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm

@Lisa: It’s about 10 minutes long and it is included on the season two set.

Lisa May 15, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I know the session 2 DVD was released but the feathers don’t say anything about having the “end” on it. does anyone know if the ending is on the DVD?

Thanks Lisa

Teresa May 9, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Loved October Road! TV is really missing a specific target audience lately. Too bad!

Jill May 7, 2009 at 10:11 pm

I am too very disappointed that this show was canceled, it was a great show, I’m not a big “tv fan” but this one got me hooked from day one…will definitely miss it!!

leon May 4, 2009 at 6:00 pm

this show was great i loved the music, people and plot was great… i stoped watching new shows shortly after because i got so into this one…and boom its gone… you kinda feel like the chair you were sitting on was pulled….. very disapointed

Ed April 30, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I’m still crushed that this show was cancelled – give it another chance! We’ll watch it every week….

Amber April 27, 2009 at 12:17 pm

My husband and I always watched this show. Since we weren’t home on the night it aired, we always remembered to tape it so we could sit down together to watch it later. This was the one show we were so looking forward to come back on the air.

Edwad (Oman) April 27, 2009 at 5:16 am

I love the show. I agree October Road is really a great show. And why they canceled it?
I felt really bad. Love Aubrey:-( and the cute smart kid Sam
I hope they still continue for closure of the story. Whats with you guys on ABC?
Common….

Carolyn April 22, 2009 at 9:31 pm

My hubby and I really loved this show, it had such a great story line, and the characters were believable, quirky and interesting. It’s sad that a good show gets canceled and all the dumb (but sex filled) reality shows are kept on the air….I guess from now on I’ll stick with all the good shows on HBO & Showtime…thanks for nothing ABC

MICHELLE April 20, 2009 at 1:35 pm

iM THINKING OF BOYCOTTING ANYMORE NEW SHOWS ON ABC, WHATS THE POINT, YA GET HOOKED AND THEY TAKE THEM OFF ANYWAY !

michelle April 20, 2009 at 1:33 pm

i just now found out this show is gone ! Im more then a bit disapointed. too many stupid shows on the air, take those off and leave the good ones, oct road being one of the best Ive seen since juding amy which was also taken off the air. Fans wait with bated breath for their shows to return season after season just to learn its not coming back? I couldnt understand why I hadnt seen it back on yet so did a internet search to find out this crap- Im so mad ! Bring it back , it was a great show with a real story line which is so rare now a days.
Michelle W in DE