Parenthood: NBC TV Show Renewed for Season Two

ParenthoodNBC has decided to bring their freshman drama, Parenthood, back for a second season.

Parenthood follows the joys and challenges of the Braverman family from Northern California. The large cast includes Lauren Graham, Peter Krause, Craig T. Nelson, Bonnie Bedelia, Mae Whitman, Miles Heizer, Erika Christensen, Sam Jaeger, Dax Shepard, Joy Bryant, Monica Potter, Sarah Ramos, and Max Burkholder.

The show got off to a positive start in early March with a 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demo and 8.1 million viewers. The numbers fell to a 2.6 and 6.1 million viewers the following week and dropped even further in week three.

These past few weeks though, Parenthood seems to have settled in to a 2.5 rating and about 6.3 million viewers. That typically translates into Parenthood either sitting in second place or tying for first with CBS’ The Good Wife in the demo.

NBC says that the drama appeals to a high percentage of households with incomes over $100,000 in the key demo and adds about 30% more audience when the time-shifted viewing is figured in. Considering the rest of NBC’s schedule, it’s no surprise that they’ve renewed Parenthood for another season.

The peacock network will announce its 2010-11 schedule on May 17th. Its expected that the Parenthood will return in the fall (rather than mid-season) and keep its current timeslot.

What do you think? Are you glad that Parenthood has been renewed for a second season?

wallace shell April 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Man we were sick when they cancelled the show.(MAX) and the rest of family is like real life.I dont know if the network didnt promote the show right,because we just turned it on there one Tuesday night and we have been ther ever since.I would never fell give the network if they pull that again about taking them off the air.That the best damn show they have to me.So EVERYBODY I MEAN EVERYBODY keep watching.Now on tuesday we have to find something else to do until they come back .If they dont come back we reelly appreciated having seen a show like this.Thanks for producing a wholesome show as PARENTHOOD!

Shauna March 31, 2011 at 8:10 am

HI I LOVE Parenthood!!! It’s an awesome show which I think everyone can relate to…
We just found out our daughter is Autistic and I love that they spread Autism awareness and show what their worlds are like day to day. I love Sarah from Gilmore Girls and Adam is sooo hot I loved him in 6 Feet Under too! I look forward to watching it every week!!! I’m dissapointed its not on again until the fall …but i can’t wait to watch it !!!!!!!!!!!

sharon rogers March 24, 2011 at 11:06 pm

this is my very favorite television show. i look forward to watching it every week and can’t wait to see the next episode. i don’t have a favorite actor/actress as they all perform so remarkably well. please keep parenthood going. i would feel lost without it. thank you.

lora March 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm

the second season didn’t seem to last through many episodes Love this show it’s very disappointing when there is a rerun every week.

Kris C March 22, 2011 at 5:46 am

I love Parenthood. Been watching from pilot. I got worried because I couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t on for past few weeks. Definitely a breath of fresh air amongst the silly and ridiculous.

Casey March 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm

We watch parenthood religiously! The writing and acting in parenthood is more believable than anything on tv today. We are so excited that it made it for a second season. I hope more people discover and get to enjoy the power of story displayed in parenthood.

Christine Y March 18, 2011 at 6:11 am

Today’s Walton’s, its a great family drama with lots of comedy thrown in. Love it!!!!!!

Linda March 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm

We look forward to watching Parenthood each week. We hope it is NOT cancelled!!

Sandra March 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I love this show! I look forward to it every week. I can relate to so many issues the writers have addressed. Please keep this one around!

jason morris March 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Best show on tv. I love the ensemble. Perfect period. If nbc ever cancels it I won’t watch their station. The only other real decent shows they have are harrys law and their thursday lineup (office,outsourced,etc) peter krause and dax sheppard has blessed this show and the rest of the actors are equal blessings. I got a family that looks forward to it every week and we’re a little concerned cause we haven’t seen it on in a while (irs march 15 2011). So please nbc just give them an 8 year contract and try and land helen hunt somehow. (Make her an aunt)

Mary Stokesbary March 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I absolutely love this series and have been so concerned that it’s been cancelled, as I haven’t seen it shown for the last two Tuesday nights. What’s up with that?

Susan Blanchard March 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

Parenthood is my very favorite television show!! I so look forward to watching every week. Please, please renew again!!

John George March 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

This show is one of the best family oriented TV shows…ever! The best part is how “real” this family is. I think they model old fashioned values by prioritizing family and when things are not ideal… the attitude is let’s work it out and not give up. There is a beautiful tie between the 4 main kids in the Braberman family. Season 2 is almost over and I hope the show makes it in to season 3 and beyond.

Melissa March 9, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I have been hooked from day one! I record this show every week and look forward to finding time to watch it. I have many friends with children going through similar problems as they show on Parenthood. I find the dialogue witty and entertaining. I hope to buy these box sets when they come out.

Becca R March 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Parenthood is smart, relevant, funny, and intelligent. This is truly a show that stands out in the wasteland of reality and violence that, apparently, many viewers are demanding.
This is this the exactly the kind of show that will prevent many people from switching to full time Netflix!