Real Time with Bill Maher: HBO Series Renewed for Season Eight

Real Time with Bill MaherThe political chatter will continue. HBO has renewed Real Time with Bill Maher for an eighth season.

The hour-long talk show debuted in February 2003 and has become a staple of HBO’s Friday night schedule. Like Maher’s previous series, Real Time features a panel of guests who discuss current events and politics, often with a comedic tone.

Season seven averaged about 1.2 million viewers for its initial broadcasts; 4.1 million if you add in repeats and on-demand.

Season eight of Real Time is scheduled to kick off on Friday, February 19th. It’ll be moving an hour earlier however, to 9pm, with an encore at 11pm.

What do you think? Is Real Time with Bill Maher a staple of your week? Do you care that it’ll be airing an hour earlier?

Dana June 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I look forward to Bill Maher every Friday night. The time change wouldn’t make a difference to me.

terry haigh October 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

I really enjoy Real Time! As a matter of fact, our entire family rallies around the TV set on Friday nights to watch and be “informed.” Yes, I do feel strongly Bill Maher informs all of us, especially the tards (the 20% of the population who still think Bush was a great President!). And, he makes us laugh hysterically; i.e. NEW RULES … just keeps getting better. And, he could NEVER make up “this shit.” Crap happens all over and we thank Maher for bringing the [crap]issues to the forefront, even if they are ugly and come in the form of dumb-ass republicans!!!!!

andrew March 9, 2010 at 11:48 pm

bill is amazing. cancel real time and I cancel HBO.

Lew Lorin February 26, 2010 at 9:38 pm

The best and most realistic show on television..I have taped many of his shows and or parts of others..The best show of all time was the
February 19th show which
I watched 4 times and then taped it.. Tonight’s show was good but it’s going to take one hell of a show
to beat the 2/19th show.. LL

Judith February 21, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thank you! I am counting the days from one season ends and until the next begin.
Even though I now live in Europe I still have to get my weekly shot of Bill Maher. He is very thoughtprovoking.

Lisa D February 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Bill Maher is one of the best reasons to keep HBO!! My family and I look forward to him every week.

Liz D February 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I am SOOOOO happy he is renewed! He speaks the realism that others are too afraid say. And, Yes!!!!, so glad to hear it is on a little earlier. My husband and I wont fall asleep waiting for it to come on!

anne fischer February 11, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Love bill…except when he attacks old people….i’m an old person.
as for the time….whatever.

Kathleen S February 4, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love his show!!! Do NOT cancel it, ever! His comments/views are what most people feel and think, on some issues that is, but he’s friggin funny! Don’t retire Bill! And thank you for being you.

Joe January 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Bill Maher always has something to say!

Jean January 18, 2010 at 4:56 am

My husband and I love Bill Maher and really miss him when he’s gone. Can’t wait until February 19th. Without humor, sometimes this life ain’t so grand.

ABBdoc December 3, 2009 at 1:40 am

I’m so glad that Bill has been renewed, it is without a doubt the stand out political show in the USA, all we have here in the UK is The Thick Of it, which tho’ funny isn’t real as its a situation comedy based on UK politics and Civil Servants…
Regards to all and thanks for BM

Johnny Lounge December 1, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Hey Guy’s at HBO thank you for the warning, I will make sure to get My Gilligan’s Island reruns out at 900 Friday night. Appreciate the Head’s Up! Or Bill’s head somewhere else.

Lionel Rolfe November 23, 2009 at 11:44 am

I think Bill Maher is great. He sort of occupies the role that Mort Sahl used to back in the ’60s. He might even be as talented as Sahl was.