Red Widow: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Red Widow to be canceled or renewed?Tonight marks the season finale of Red Widow since ABC ordered just eight episodes of the series. Is this the end? Will the drama be back for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those unfamiliar with the show, Red Widow revolves around a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her husband’s work in organized crime after his death. The large cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a second season renewal for Red Widow. The show’s ratings were poor at the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating with 7.13 million viewers — and have gotten a lot worse as the weeks have worn on.

Last week’s numbers fell to a new low — a 0.7 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 3.47 million total viewers. Red Widow is one of the lowest-rated shows on the network, ensuring that ABC won’t be bringing it back next season.

But, what do you think? Should ABC renew the drama or are they justified in cancelling it? Are you satisfied with the last episode? How would you wrap up the storylines?

Dawn September 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Very disappointed that there won’t be a season 2.

MENIA September 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I WAS SO INVOLVED WITH THIS SHOW.. PLEASE BRING IT BACK.. I THINK IT WAS JUST POOR TIMING BECAUSE THERE WERE SEVERAL OTHER POPULAR SHOWS ON AT THE TIME OF THE AIRING.. A LOT OF TIMES I WOULD ON DEMAND THE EPISODES.. I HAD BEEN BRAGGING TO SEVERAL PEOPLE ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVED THE SHOW.. AND HOW IT WAS A MUST-SEE.. VERY UNIQUE FROM THE OTHER SHOWS ON TV.. I LOVED THE ENDING & HATED THAT THERE WERE ONLY 8 EPISODES TO THE SEASON.. PLEASE RECONSIDER BRINGING IT BACK.. I AGREE WITH A PREVIOUS COMMENT, ONE SEASON WASNT ENOUGH— BRING IT BACK PLEASE

Ruthie September 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Just finished watching the last episode on my DVR. I’m glad I didn’t delete it before watching, it was an amazingly well-written show. Please bring back more episodes.

Jamie August 30, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I loved it! Exciting show!

Jamie August 30, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I think men don’t like it cause its showing how women can be just as smart and strong as a man!

lynncwms August 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I thought “Red Widow” was a great show – very entertaining. Maybe they could try it in a different “time slot” – Get rid of some of those “reality” shows -

Dawn Holleran August 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I’m very disappointed in ABC’s decision to cancel Red Widow, as well as, Body of Proof. Both of these were terrific shows. They need to start taking off the stupid reality tv shows! I’m sick of these networks cancelling shows, and never having an ending for them! This is horrible news!

Anne August 13, 2013 at 6:42 am

ABC MUST follow on with another series. Red Widow was great, intelligent, intriguing television, and a stand out over the trivia showing on Commercial channels. Come on Auntie, spend our dollars wisely and provide good programs for your loyal citizens.

Arthur August 12, 2013 at 7:44 am

Why is it that great shows are put on very late at night, and then the produces/network complain that the ratings are low.
What about getting rid of reality shows and giving us some escapism, with great acting, and great twisty plots.
Please keep this series going.

Annie August 6, 2013 at 2:45 am

Didn’t want to believe that Episode 8 was the last one. Was so looking forward to the next episode hoping for a 9th one. I suppose it ended with loose threads giving it the potential for the story line to be extended.
This series was originally a Dutch TV series. Is there more? One of the best TV drama/romances with interesting characters and excellent acting. Up there with Revenge for my choice.

Karen August 5, 2013 at 10:07 am

Please bring it back. It’s the best

Dinie July 13, 2013 at 9:21 am

I think it’s a great series and there should be a second season!

Alicia Wallace July 13, 2013 at 7:35 am

Please bring it back ABC we live In the Middle East and we been watching Red Widow on OSN . Wonderful show and we are looking to see Martha and Nicholai together .
Sad if ABC do it give Red widow ah chance .

Catherine July 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I think this is a great series. Don’t know what ABC is thinking. GIVE “RED WIDOW”
A SECOND CHANCE. PUT THIS ON A LITTLE EARLIER. I USUALLY TAPE THE ENTIRE SERIES IF I LIKE IT SO THE TIMING DOESN’T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO ME. Actors were great – Writers did an excellent job and I’m hoping for more !!

leesa June 30, 2013 at 2:24 am

I think it should stay on I love the show and at least keep it on till the end of second season

Abbey June 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm

You know, it’s stupid how there letting such good shows go. One season isn’t always going to pull people in! Give it a chance!! I know a lot of people that watch the shows that have been canceled! I think more than half of the good ones are gone now and I’m not happy!!! I think abc’s going to lose a lot more viewers by the look of how many shows they’ve canceled. I’m not happy with this network right now.:/

dana July 8, 2013 at 4:28 pm