Scandal: Season Two Ratings

ABC TV show Scandal ratingsIn its first season, Scandal drew mediocre ratings and was nearly cancelled. ABC likely brought it back because they need new dramas and are hoping that the ratings would improve in season two. Will they be glad that they took the risk? Time will tell.

The second season of Scandal typically airs Thursday nights at 10pm on the ABC network. The cast includes Kerry Washington, Bellamy Young, Columbus Short, Darby Stanchfield, Guillermo Diaz, Jeff Perry, Joshua Malina, Katie Lowes, and Tony Goldwyn.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Scandal is going to be cancelled or renewed for a second season.

Final season averages: 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.53 million total viewers. (adjusted average due to transposed number for second episode)

Episode 02-22: Thursday, 05/16/13
3.2 in the demo (0% change) with 9.12 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 2.50 in the demo with 7.48 million.

UPDATE: ABC has renewed this show for a third season for 2013-14.

Episode 02-21: Thursday, 05/09/13
3.2 in the demo (+23% change) with 8.87 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.47 in the demo with 7.40 million.

Episode 02-20: Thursday, 05/02/13
2.6 in the demo (-7% change) with 8.07 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.43 in the demo with 7.33 million.

Episode 02-19: Thursday, 04/25/13
2.8 in the demo (+8% change) with 7.90 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 2.42 in the demo with 7.29 million.

Episode 02-18: Thursday, 04/04/13
2.6 in the demo (0% change) with 8.04 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.40 in the demo with 7.25 million.

Episode 02-17: Thursday, 03/28/13
2.6 in the demo (-4% change) with 7.97 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 2.39 in the demo with 7.21 million.

Episode 02-16: Thursday, 03/21/13
2.7 in the demo (0% change) with 8.51 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.38 in the demo with 7.16 million.

Episode 02-15: Thursday, 02/21/13
2.7 in the demo (0% change) with 7.68 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 2.35 in the demo with 7.07 million.

Episode 02-14: Thursday, 02/14/13
2.7 in the demo (-4% change) with 8.02 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 2.33 in the demo with 7.03 million.

Episode 02-13: Thursday, 02/07/13
2.8 in the demo (+4% change) with 8.14 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.30 in the demo with 6.95 million.

Episode 02-12: Thursday, 01/31/13
2.7 in the demo (+4% change) with 8.09 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 6.85 million.

Episode 02-11: Thursday, 01/17/13
2.6 in the demo (-7% change) with 7.93 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 2.22 in the demo with 6.74 million.

Episode 02-10: Thursday, 01/10/13
2.8 in the demo (+17% change) with 8.37 million (+17% change).
Season averages: 2.18 in the demo with 6.62 million.

ABC TV show ratingsEpisode 02-09: Thursday, 12/13/12
2.4 in the demo (-4% change) with 7.14 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.11 in the demo with 6.43 million.

Episode 02-08: Thursday, 12/06/12
2.5 in the demo (+14% change) with 7.39 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.08 in the demo with 6.34 million.

Episode 02-07: Thursday, 11/29/12
2.2 in the demo (+10% change) with 6.64 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.01 in the demo with 6.19 million.

Episode 02-06: Thursday, 11/15/12
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 6.02 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.98 in the demo with 6.11 million.

Episode 02-05: Thursday, 11/08/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 6.06 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.98 in the demo with 6.13 million.

UPDATE: ABC has ordered a full season of 22 episodes.

Episode 02-04: Thursday, 10/25/12
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 6.11 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 6.14 million.

Episode 02-03: Thursday, 10/18/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 6.17 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 6.16 million.

Episode 02-02: Thursday, 10/04/12
2.0 in the demo (-5% change) with 5.65 million (-1.3% change).
Season averages: 2.05 in the demo with 6.15 million.

Episode 02-01: Thursday, 09/27/12
2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.
Season averages: 2.10 in the demo with 6.74 million.

Year-to-year, the season premiere of Scandal was up by 5% in the demo (vs a 2.0 rating) and down by 8% in viewers (vs 7.33 million).

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.02 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you still like the Scandal TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Amazon.com Widgets

DANIEL February 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm

My Wife and I are glued to this show. Keep it up. We can hardly wait for the next show.

Sandra Strange February 23, 2013 at 6:04 pm

My eldest (35) daughter & I are glued to the TV on Thu nights. We love Scandal, can’t wait for the next week & hope they don’t skip a week for some reason. The anticipation for every episode is overwhelming at times. We always record it so we can watch each show twice, they are so packed with detailed excitement. We’ll always catch something new we missed the first time we watched it. It’s got suspense, comedy, sex, mystery, crime, everything you can want in a shoe. But not too much or too little of one thing. It’s the perfect mix of all genres rolled all together. I’d be sick if it easy cancelled. Please ABC keep this great show, with great actors & writers going…!

Anonymous February 23, 2013 at 7:29 am

Best show ever. There is nothing like it. Shonda Rhimes and her team(s) have out done themselves.

Brittnie February 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I LOVE this show!! It is so well done and my favorite show! It would be a HUGE disappointment if it got cancelled! They ready semi-cancelled “Don’t trust the B–” and “Happy Endings” :(

Alton February 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

One of the best shows on TV! As long as the writing and acting can stay at the current level and as long as the cast can stay together, I hope this show gets renewed year after year. I was skeptical when I first started watching it one, because I hate Grey’s Anatomy and this show is created by the same person and two, I wasn’t sure how far it could go after the fast and furious short first one. But I was glad to be wrong. At least this once. Lol.

KatWms February 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Love this show

g davis February 19, 2013 at 10:00 am

Love the show. It is the best drama on tv.

Deinara February 18, 2013 at 2:54 am

This is the best drama on network TV! Every episode stays in your head, ends with you shouting at the television in disbelief, and anticipating the next episode the whole week! To tide me over, I will then the episode multiple times on Cable On Demand.

By the way this is actually the second season, at least according to show producers/cast. The first season was a short run.

ABC is crazy if they cancel this show!!

Tonya February 17, 2013 at 7:33 am

Simply the best! I cannot get enough of this show. I love all of the characters and writing is amazing. Please renew for fall 2013!

karen February 15, 2013 at 8:30 am

The only show I watch in Prime time. Who ever produced this definitely has talent, how could you even consider canceling it? Best acting of any show on television.

millie February 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

love this show

sandy February 10, 2013 at 1:41 am

Love this show. My husband Dvd it so we can discuss it later.

georgieboy February 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Every time I watch Scandal I think this must be a season finale; that’s how packed every episode is. Also, I hate and in the past have never watch any TV series more than once. With Scandal, I always end-up watching each episode twice, just because there are so many little details that one can miss, which end up being important to some story line that’s being developed. I love this show.

ccanada February 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I love this show. I have watched every show and I’m ready to start all over from the beginning, its just that good to me. I love the caste, they are perfect picks for their characters. Love it, please don’t cancel this show.

jwebb February 7, 2013 at 11:55 am

Love,love this show…Please do not cancel. Best show in years. Have watched all episodes over and over.