The Game: Is BET Reviving the Cancelled Sitcom for Real This Time?

The GameSee the 4-14-10 update here.

We’ve had plenty of rumors over the past year about The Game and now we have another one. Has BET made a deal to pick up the cancelled sitcom for real this time?

The Game began as a spin-off of the long-running comedy, Girlfriends. The series centers around a first year medical student (Tia Mowry) who chooses to follow her pro-football boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. Others in the cast include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Wendy Raquel Robinson, Hosea Chanchez, and Barry Floyd.

The series was cancelled by The CW after three seasons on the air. Even before the cancellation was announced, there were rumors that BET might pick it up and produce new episodes.

In September, news surfaced but nothing happened. In October, there were more rumors but nothing happened. Then, in November, the cast reunited on The Mo’Nique Show. Promos showed the host asking the cast if The Game was coming back but that portion was edited out of the actual show.

Can we believe it this time?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Now, BVBuzz is reporting that BET has made a deal with Paramount to produce new episodes. Their source said, “The deal is done between the two networks. Now it’s a matter of getting the actors under contract again.” When the show was cancelled last Spring, the actors’ contracts expired.

The contracts are reportedly expected to be finalized in the next couple weeks. The only snag might be Bell, who recently signed on to join the cast of USA’s Burn Notice. It sounds like he’ll still return to The Game but won’t be a series regular.

Series creator Mara Brock Akil is expected to return as well. Once the deal is finalized, production is supposedly scheduled to begin in May in Atlanta.

While the new details sound very promising, we’ve all been fooled before. The difference is that, this time, the actors seem to be talking about it as well. Hall, tweeted a message that said, “Hey @hoseachanchez have u heard? I know I didn’t hear what I think I heard? Hey girl @TiaMowry did you hear? I’ll say THASSWASSUP! Finally!”

Mohry responded to him by writing, “ummmm yes sir!!! Uh oh… That’s wassup aka Derwin Davis. Let’s go!!!” Later, she thanked her readers for their continued devotion to The Game and encouraged them to tell BET how much they love it.

So, it seems like it’s really happening this time, though the actors haven’t signed contracts yet. Hopefully that will go smoothly and we’ll hear an official announcement soon.

What do you think? Are you still skeptical? Do you think it’ll really happen this time?

Erica J August 5, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I hope BET bring The Game back. Everybody I know love this show and we were so mad we didn’t find out what was gone happen. They left us hanging. Come on BET make it happen.

MONIQUE PARKER August 3, 2010 at 4:49 pm

PLEASE BET BRING BACK “THE GAME” SOON I WAS DISSAPPOINTED WHEN THE SHOW WENT OFF THE AIR BUT WHEN I HEARD ON THE MO’NIQUE SHOW THAT IT WOULD BE RETURNING I WAS EXCITED. I LOVE DERWIN AND MELANIE PLEASE I AM WAITING TO SEE HOW THEY LIVE LIFE WITH MARRIAGE AND THE BABY WITH JANAY.

Rissa July 17, 2010 at 8:24 am

This is the best news. Please BET don’t let us down, The Game is the best show ever. I’ve got re-runs on my DVR. I never missed an episode. I’m eagerly awaiting a new season to find out what happened.

kelly July 9, 2010 at 8:38 am

Bet please don’t follow in the cw footsteps and cancell the game, I don’t even watch cw anymore. As much as I love jugde mathis I will not support a show that cancel two of it’s best shows THE GAME which is my abosolute favorite, I mean I wouldn’t even go out on Friday night’s until THE GAME went off, lol, and a lot of my friends felt the same way. Please don’t let go of this show save it save it save it please the folks here in WASHINGTON DC love it!

Anonymous July 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am so disappointed with the way the writers took the characters lack of character to a all new low shame on you

Tricia June 28, 2010 at 6:39 am

I can’t wait! I absolutely love this show.

lorraine street hernandez June 26, 2010 at 6:55 pm

omg! i can’t wait to start watching my favour actors on bet, please tell me i won’t wait in vain this time, bet i love u, i do hope jason and kelly gets back together and as for med school and rookie love u, the rest is the best.

Gina June 25, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I would love to see the show, “The Game” come back, and for Jason and Kelley to get back together. I love this show.

queen June 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

ABSOULUTY LOVE THIS SHOW! BET PLEASE DONT LET GO OF THIS ONE!!

hazel gonzalez June 24, 2010 at 8:48 am

omg if i don’t see a new episode of the game real soon im gonna freak i love love love that show so they better put yhe game back on

melanie leibrand June 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm

please bet bring this t.v.ser. back in the begining i didnt think i would like it,man was i wrong,ya this program brings the char.to life for me ,my father played semi pro football and sence his death i couldnt even say football with out cring.but because of this show i have life with the game i look back in the yrs,past and remember get water for the players i was the water girl .and the love for real football.is enjoyable again.so thank you so very much.and i love you dad he was the quarter back,i can still see his hands how big and what a grip

one.son June 16, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I KNOW that the Game was the best show on tv and I feel that no show that has blacks in positions of power and being sexy and articulate will not survive because the demographics are not measured in certain markets. I am a MAN and I watched this show religiously. It was well written, snappy, and quite honestly, engrossing and it was 10 times better than “Friends”–and I loved “Friends”!, Joey? come on. We have to do more to support these shows that bring us pleasure because we have known for 10-15 years now (the time since they really let us on t.v.) that getting cancelled and not being allowed to have even a last show (unless you’re Cosby–Cos?come on) is how the networks see Black sitcoms, period.

Christ June 16, 2010 at 8:56 am

I want them to be serious because i have been waiting endlessly to see what is going to happen. Especially after Melanie’s wedding, i want to know how life has been for the two of them. so please continue the show, i really love it.

Tamara June 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I sure hope they are serious too. Please advertise to inform when. I am anxiously awaiting the new season to see what will happen next.

Evelyn June 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

I hope they are serious this time. I love the Game so much I watch the re-runs over and over again. Bring it Together BET, we are counting on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!