The Killing: AMC TV Series Renewed for Season Two

The Killing on AMCThe season finale of AMC’s freshman show The Killing airs this Sunday but fans can rest easy. The AMC TV series has been renewed for a second season.

The Killing debuted to a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.72 million viewers. The ratings fell significantly over the course of the season and hit a low at the end of May, registering a 0.4 rating in the demo with 1.971 million viewers.

The series is reportedly the second-highest rated show on the channel (behind The Walking Dead) so, to no surprise, AMC has decided to give The Killing a second season of 13 episodes. There’s no word on when production will begin or when viewers can expect to see season two. The current season began in early April.

The series features the talents of Mireille Enos, Billy Campbell, Brent Sexton, Eric Ladin, Jamie Anne Allman, Joel Kinnaman, Kristin Lehman, and Michelle Forbes.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that The Killing will be back for a second season or should it have been cancelled? Why do you think more people don’t watch?

Dianna June 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

I Love this show so much …… I am already anxious for the next season to begin!!!
It is so refreshing to see a show where you can not figure out who done it ….
You just get absorbed its almost like your part of the show …. I LOVE IT!!!!

KUDOS TO “THE KILLING”

Jess June 15, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I love this show and am thrilled that they are renewing it. My only complaint is that they make Seattle appear so dank and depressing, but we do get the occasional sunny day(s) and it NEVER rains that hard here…. it just “mists”!

Joan June 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm

A great show. So glad it is being renewed. The acting is terrific and it is lots of fun
having a weekly mystery to watch. More people would watch if they knew about it.

Beth Coccaro June 15, 2011 at 7:00 am

I would love to see a ratings comparison article between Rubicon and The Killing. I like both shows, but agree that Rubicon was more engaging. The Killing is filmed so dark – sometimes I cannot see anything on my screen, I strain to view it.

Anonymous June 15, 2011 at 4:48 am

Great news! I love this show

Tha Critic June 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I’ve never seen the original series, but I definitely enjoy this one. The cast is great and I like the whole neo-noir/gritty feel that it has. Go AMC!

Elaine June 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I am not certain if I will watch 13 more episodes if they continue to advance so slowly. My husband dropped out after the second episode.

Samara June 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I am extremely happy that “The Killing” has been renewed! I like the detail that goes into each episode, it gives you things to think about and connect in your head! I love the tone of it! I hope they replay season one so people can watch and really get into season two! It’s the only show I watch on AMC!

Jan June 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’m thrilled it’s been renewed. I look forward to seeing the new twists and turns each week.

Kat June 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

It’s sad that they’ll renew this but not Rubicon. I was infinitely more intrigued by Rubicon, which kept you guessing and interested every week (it’s just a shame the ratings weren’t there). The Killing is boring by comparison — at least, that’s what I think. So some cops go around asking some questions and some family members mourn the loss of a loved one. Meh, I get that after one episode. And the latest plot twist? I won’t say it here, but let’s just say it makes me glad I didn’t care about this show all season. It looks like the killer is the one character I was rooting for the whole show, what an awful twist. I’m hoping for an eleventh hour reprieve/yet another twist, but not holding my breath for it. I gave this show a chance this season, but definitely won’t be tuning in next season.

Jim June 14, 2011 at 8:47 am

Yea! It’s nice to see a well done drama get an extended chance to succeed.

Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 7:30 am

love this show – glad it’s coming back

Mike June 14, 2011 at 6:24 am

This is an excellent show and I’m very glad to see it coming back.
A dark and gritty cop drama unlike most and worthy of another go round for sure.

raff June 14, 2011 at 4:24 am

Although the original is better, I like this version a lot. I’m glad to see they took the characters is a slightly new direction. AMC is the best TV has to offer. Breaking Bad is my favorite series ever. Beating out Twin Peaks (which The Killing is obviously inspired by).

Anonymous June 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I will not be watching the second season if they draw this drama out for another 13 episodes.