The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I want it back. I thought it was good!

Jeannie October 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

River should not be canceled. Its an awesome show. Please don’t leave us fans hanging.

Robert Stevens October 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I don’t think the show should end there, it’s a opened ending that leaves a lot of unanswered questions. This is the problem with tv today. If you look at some of the longest lasting tv shows from the past u can see where the problem is. Take stargate SG1 for example, that show lasted for 10 seasins and had 2 other searies that branched off from it. the networks keep giving up on all these shows like, the river, as well as terra nova, and so many others like it. You barely get the show started, when you cancel it. At least with stargate SG1 they ended it with movies to close out the show. They didn’t leave many unanswered questions. This is just part of the reason why alot of the networks are having problems with keeping there customers interested, and why so many people like me have started to find other ways to be entertained.

jeff October 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Shows how TV has gone to waste, they cancel this awsome show and Do stupid shows like jersey shore and the list goes on. Sad sad sad! They did it to jericho, life on mars ect …. I could have watched lost for years n years so many angles they could have gone still love the ending just feel it was rushed, yet csi, ncis and shows like them go on for 10+ years?? I never feel a connection to the characters in those shows and easily figure out who did what, when n how way before the agents. I want real stories with depth, twist, drama, love, hardships and fantasy/imagination that the river brought and once apon a time is another great show Please dont cancel that after season two I will be mad. anyway to get to my point My favorite shows of all time end too soon or get cancelled and rubish reality ext tv shows never end!!!!!

Mendy October 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Totally agree!!!

Robert Stevens October 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

We r probably wasting our time trying to get them to understand. They are to stupid to understand. I agree with what u are saying and I understand.

JBotting October 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I think that “The River” should have a good ending. They should bring it back for at least one more season. I mean, it was a BIG clift-hanger, and I was saying ” I hope there will be another season of the River” then, I hear its canceled?!? If ABC is canceling a TV Show, atleast have it end with a Decent series Finale. I’m correct!

I see that it wasnt that popular with results but some people like The River. I know that it cant be forever. It was one for the people who like horror (Even though it wasnt scary AT ALL), and now we cant have another season?!?

SUE G October 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

IF THEY ARE GOING TO CANCEL AT LEAST BRING IT BACK AND WRITE A DECENT ENDING. I KINDA LIKED THE SHOW. I WAS WONDERING HOW FAR YOU CAN GO WITH STORIES ABOUT THE AMAZON. I THINK IT DESERVES ONE MORE SEASON AND GET A GOOD STORY LINE.

Elise September 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I really hate to start some of the shows because they will cancel them for sure. I am so sick of reality tv I think I will go crazy. Step up and do the right thing. Give us season two of the river. With the river cancelled and the killing cancelled I will forget tv and read books. This is the fifth time I stuck with a show and have it cancelled. Reality tv is no tv. Come on and do the right thing. Lead the way or I will walk away from tv

valerie October 1, 2012 at 9:37 am

Amen to that!

holly September 29, 2012 at 7:12 am

I loved this show an will be very sad if its canceled …one of my all time favorite shows!!

Anonymous September 26, 2012 at 8:02 am

There are so few shows I enjoy anymore. Too many reality shows and night time soap opera type shows. This was different with supernatural elements, adventure, and always kept me guessing with the great mystery. I hope they don’t cancel!

Edward September 25, 2012 at 1:03 pm

his was an AWESOME show. I wish some will make the season 2 to be even better and grander. I got to know about this show pretty late. But this was a cool thought out plan to intermingle reality TV show with horror and exploration and nature. I cannot understand how a network could discontinue such a show……

sj September 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm

DO NOT CANCEL!!! GREAT SHOW!!!!

Anonymous September 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm

It was great show I hope it comes back for season 2 and let you hanging at the end for wanting more

Celeste September 22, 2012 at 8:59 am

BRING THE RIVER BACK!!!!!!!! MAKE A SEASON TWO PLEASE, you will be fucking insane to even consider the River being cancelled!!!!! Just bring it back please!!! MY GOD

K.C. September 19, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Please do not cancel The River. I have been addicted to the show from the very first episode. I have been anxiously waiting for the second season to begin. When I hadn’t seen any previews of the second season coming up I learned the show may be cancelled. I too, am tired of getting bombarded with Reality Shows, Singing and Dancing, and Talk shows, and other shows of same nature. I don’t understand why the T.V. stations can’t seem to understand why their so called ratings, show a drop in their programs. The stations don’t seem to understand that when they have good shows and they pit them against each other that people will flip back and forth between the channels to at least catch a glimpse of their favorite shows so that they are not missing the entire show .They don’t seem to understand that if they would stop trying to see who can be the top dog for ratings and play their programs where folks can watch their favorite shows without having to choose between them or having to flip back and forth between channels just to get to see at least part of them , their ratings would be just fine.And they would stop making folks angry because another good show has been dropped yet again. I have been waiting for years for a sign that they have figured this out. Guess they haven’t if they cancel The River. So many good shows have been dropped from all of the stations (local stations for those of us who do not have cable or satellite) and replaced with reality, cooking , talk , singing, and other shows of same nature. Of which there is entirely too much of.

net September 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

yes i was the same me and my bf got hooked and were waiting for season 2. im not into movies shows or anything scarey or fiction but i can say we loved that show! (:

DIANNA September 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK!!! SOME OF US ARE SICK OF REALITY TV, DANCING SHOWS, AND SINGING SHOWS!! I LOVE THIS SHOW – IT WAS NEW AND BROUGHT SOMETHING UNEXPECTED AND SURPRISING EVERY WEEK!!!

DIANNA September 17, 2012 at 10:58 am