The River: Cancelled; No Season Two on ABC

River on ABC cancelled, no season twoThe search is truly over for the Magus crew. ABC has cancelled The River, their mid-season thriller series, after just one season of eight episodes.

The River follows the search for Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood), an adventurer, TV host, father and husband who disappeared while on an expedition deep in the uncharted waters of the Amazon River. Others in the cast include Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

The TV series had an okay premiere, registering a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million viewers. Unfortunately later episodes didn’t do nearly as well and towards the end of its short season it went as low as a 1.3 in the demo with 4.09 million.

Will Netflix save The River?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows on the network, The River has a “D” grade and is one of the lowest-rated shows on ABC this season. It’s no surprise that the network has cancelled it.

While you won’t see a second season ABC, there’s still a glimmer of hope that Netflix could pick it up. The movie rental/streaming service had preliminary discussions with ABC Studios about possibly picking up the show if ABC ended up canning it.

There’s been no word since the initial story but, now that the show’s been cancelled, perhaps we will. ABC holds their upfront presentation on Tuesday so we may learn some more information at that time.

What do you think? Are you surprised that The River has been cancelled? Do you think Netflix should pick it up for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

107 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Joe says

I have just watched the full season again for the second time and loved it even more than the first time.I cannot believe there are so many multi-season TV shows out there that are supposedly more popular than something like this. It’s a tense, nerve racking, mystical adventure with enough creepiness to keep asking for more and enough answers to keep saying “that was cool. Give me another”.

Are audiences today so wrapped up in their own personal inabilities that over dramatic political dramas like The Fixer are found to be entertaining? Why is walking dead so popular and this wasn’t?

2. Tereza says

I’ve just finished watching this on Netflix. I absolutely loved it. A fantastic and well thought out storyline, far better than the predictable rubbish we are usually fed on TV. Anyone that’s into anything mystical will love this. I am devastated that there is not going to be a second series, I really hope Netflix changes their minds, please! If you can read between the lines this series was more than just a mystery/horror. My hat off to the scriptwriter/s, this should have been far more popular.

The problem with ABC they are only interested in high ratings and not pleasing people like us who like to watch something that’s not mainstream, that’s not been done before and is not the usual mindless rubbish.

• donald willingham says

iam truly up set that just be cause it had a low ratting the 2nd season of the rive want go on thairs so much junk on now. want to see the next season the river changed on the way home please do the 2nd season the river not letting get home

3. Aitor Jiménez says

Netfix should consider get the rights on the show and show it on their platform. It’s a pitty such a nice series got cancelled.

4. says

please show season 2 on netflix ive just got netflix and i was very dissapointed that i was not able to watch the carry on from season 1 as ‘The river’ has now drawn me in to find out what happens in the end thank you. p.s ive also told all my friends to watch this

5. sam and preston says

Please give us season2 it should be illegal to show an entire season and then cancel the second. So we that enjoyed and watched it are not worth abc’s time of day maybe. We will reconsider watching abc now. Poo poo to you.

6. Dave Shane says

When I first started watching the river me and my wife were hooked.never really watched any TV shows until the river, it was the only show we never missed an episode to and was something thatwe actually couldn’t wait to watch the next episode.so please bring back the river it was and is still the best show we’ve ever watched.rather a movie it is still the only TV show to scare the **** out of me.so please bring out second episode.TV shows are boreing again

7. Wendy says

Please Netflix, get “The River” going again! I had ritual every episode gettin’ together with friends to watch show- I miss the show, & just seems like there could be so much more to the story.