Upstairs Downstairs: Revival Cancelled, No Season Three

revival of Upstairs Downstairs cancelledWhile British drama Downton Abbey has become a big success for PBS, the BBC’s revival of Upstairs Downstairs has been cancelled after nine episodes. There won’t be a third series of episodes according to the broadcaster.

The original version of Upstairs Downstairs ran for five seasons and 68 episodes, from 1971 until 1975. The show was revived in 2010, picking up some six years after the end of the original with co-creator Jean Marsh reprising her role as housekeeper Rose Buck.

The first episode of the revival reportedly drew 8.85 million viewers. The other two episodes of the first season attracted 8.13 million and 8.18 million.

Another six episodes began airing this past February, 14 months later, and the numbers diminished over the span of the season. The last episode drew 5.22 million, a 41% decrease when compared to the first installment.

A BBC spokesperson said, “From Call the Midwife to Bird Song and The Syndicate, 2012 has been a great year for Original British Drama on BBC1 but at this stage there are no plans for Upstairs Downstairs to return.”

The revival’s chief writer, Heidi Thomas, wrote on Twitter: “Really touched by all the love and sadness for Upstairs Downstairs.” “It was made by a tremendous team and I can’t praise them enough.” “Truly sad about Updown, but can now fully and wholeheartedly honour the massive commitments I have elsewhere, including Call The Midwife.”

Thomas also congratulated Sarah Gordy, the Downs Syndrome actress who played Pamela, who also expressed her sadness over the cancellation.

Actor Neil Jackson, who played chauffeur Harry Spargo on the series, wrote, “I have just heard that the BBC will not be making any more Upstairs Downstairs. I loved the show and will miss it greatly.”

What do you think? Will you miss the new Upstairs Downstairs? How do you think it compares to the original?

Canceled and renewed TV show

35 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jan says

I enjoyed up down and am saddened that there will not be a season 3. I hope there will be a change of mind s the characters and storyline were superb. I just recently became a BBC viewer and Lund the programs entertaining and well done.

2. Linda says

I am sad that there will be no 2013 season for Updown. The show has evolved and I did not compare it to the first seasons but rather enjoyed where it was going. Quality TV is so limited and I will miss this show. Love Calling the Midwife and Downton Abbey.

3. says

I hadn’t seen Downton Abbey or the Original Upstairs Downstaits so I watched this show with fresh open eyes and enjoyed it. Shows have been renewed with lower ratings so it can’t just be that. It’s the producers fault for allowing the show to go stale for 14 mos after airing 3 episodes. People found new shows and likely didn’t know it was on TV. I didn’t discover the show until the 2nd season and am very dissappointed it will not be renewed.

I’ve tried watching Downton Abbey but it seems dull, slow in comparison to Upstairs Downstairs. You have to start at the beginning to get into a show like that whereas Upstairs Downstairs you could jump in and be carried into the storyline at any point.

Seems network producers care nothing about viewer comments. The rating for this show is pretty high. Obviously instead of getting the word out and sticking behind the show they ineptly decided to kill it.

I will miss this show…on to the next one.

4. Molly says

please bring Upstairs Downstairs Revival back. I absolutely loved it! It had too many comparisions, it was compared to Downtain Abbey, and the origibal Upstairs Downstairs. I loved it as its own period drama, set around the war, custumes, acting, storylines, it was superb….Please bring it back…
    Molly, USA

5. Melissa says

I can’t believe there is no season 3. I just finished the end of season 2. I was already for the war.
    I almost wish I had not looked online to know there wasn’t another season. I’m depressed!!!!!
    I loved it!!!

6. Cee says

I am extremely disappointed that the new Upstairs Downstairs has been cancelled. I thought the series was entertaining, well researched with good acting, interesting stories and believable characters. I don’t consider it a ‘Downton Abbey’ rival…it’s a totally different story line, that had lots of episodes left in it. Upstairs Downstairs deserves a place in the TV line up and the BBC should decide to begin production again.

7. Lynne says

I’m sorry to hear that there won’t be a Season III. I, too, was preparing to go to war and liked the story lines. Perhaps if the series would have been renewed, the ending of the last episode would have been different. I watched the original series many years ago, but don’t remember a whole lot about it at this point.

8. DOROTHY DEAMELIO says

I will miss Upstairs Downstairs . The last two episodes were great and left a great foundation to build upon for a season three . I HOPE THAT IN THE FUTURE THIS WILL BE CONSIDERED.

9. Linda Hardy says

I am so sad that it was cancelled. I thought it was terrific and got better as it went. I saw every episode of the original. This series was darker and different but excellent in its way.

10. Why Watch says

USDS revival was ok but not of the strength of Downton Abbey. I just wasn’t grabbed by the characters. But it was better than Bird Song.

11. Beth Coccaro says

Airing in February where? Certainly not here. I only saw something that amounted to 2 or 3 episodes last year.