Whitechapel: BBC Series Cancelled After Four Seasons

Whitechapel TV show canceledIt sounds like the Whitechapel TV show won’t be back for a fifth season. Lead actor Rupert Penry-Jones, who plays DI Joseph Chandler, broke the news via his Twitter account: “Sorry to be the bearer of bad news everyone but ITV don’t want any more Whitechapel. That’s all folks x.”

A detective drama, Whitechapel airs on BBC America here in the states but the cable channel has yet to announce when or if they will air the fourth season of six episodes. That batch finished airing in the UK on October 9th.

What do you think? Have you watched the Whitechapel TV series? Should BBC America run the final season?

Sonia russo April 21, 2015 at 11:02 am

I loved whitechapel it was a very good drama, wish that they reconsider and bring it back

Sharon April 19, 2015 at 1:47 pm

I have missed episode 6 of series 4 anyone know how you can catch up. Can’t do it on sky

Kim Short March 13, 2015 at 5:41 am

I missed out on Whitechapel the first time round and have become seriously hooked watching on ITV Encore. OMG what brilliant drama, acting and gripping story lines. It’s just BRILLIANT. Taking all that into account,why the hell have they axed it. It can’t be they ran out of ideas or even thought it had run its course. Please, please, I’m begging you. Don’t do this! Chandler, Miles, Buchan, Kent, Riley, Finley – they need closure. Oh ok; I need closure.

C. Leckington February 16, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Where can I find re-runs?

Kim Short March 13, 2015 at 5:43 am

ITV Encore or you could try Catch up on Sky if you have it. I-Player worth a try too. Good luck.

Frank January 28, 2015 at 3:31 am

‘Whitechapel’ is no more. I was so looking forward to Series 5. Is there some sort of entity haunting the corridors of the Whitechapel police station?
An absolute tragedy to discontinue such a superb show.

Kim Short March 13, 2015 at 5:44 am

Hear hear!

The baker January 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I was just checking to see if some of my most like shows would be back. Sorry to hear about Whitecastle! I enjoyed the series. Not sure who makes these decisions, but I am not happy with their decision. Now off to see if my series the “Intruders” will be back for a season two. fingers x’d .

mike dobey December 28, 2014 at 6:58 pm

they never aired season four. I think they aired season 3 back in 2013. does anyone know? they probably never will air whitechapel season four. as it is now almost two years from it’s uk showing.

Kim Short March 13, 2015 at 5:46 am

I watched it on Catch up TV on Sky or you could try ITV Encore or IPlayer.

C December 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm

That is terrible news! I really hope they air the fourth season in the US. I really enjoy this show.

Jim Sackett November 25, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Yes, yes, yes…air the final season!!!

Anonymous October 19, 2014 at 10:33 am

Sorry to see it go. Great cast and story. So much garbage on tv and cancel a good show. Who makes these decisions.

elaine bitton October 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm

excellent enjoyed every moment. waiting for season 5, do not disappoint!!!!!!!!!

Ilia Teems September 15, 2014 at 10:22 am

Loved Whitechapel. Sorry to see it go. Tired of watching dumbed-down shows. One of the few show I watched on BBC. A real shame.

Anonymous August 20, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I love this show…..why can’t they cancel something else like Dr Who…seems like BBC America doesn’t care what they show..

linda hayes August 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I have been wondering if and when it was coming back, first they were on the fence, then it was a go….then nothing…Ahh BBCA you screwed the avid watchers again…Copper now White Chapel….I am sure there are others I missing….Soon you won’t need a net work….No one will watch your “new shows”….knowing they will be cancelled in a blink…

Georgia August 18, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Hope BBC America televises the rest of the series. Really like Whitechapel and LOVE Rupert Penry-Jones. I could just watch him read the phone book — he’d make it interesting. ( I know…phone books aren’t seen much these days.) Rupert is a great actor. Wish he’d be cast in a series in the US.