Zero Hour: New ABC Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Zero Hour cancel or keep?Last week, ABC unveiled Zero Hour, their newest Thursday night TV show. Will this one be quickly cancelled like Last Resort or will it become a long-running hit like Grey’s Anatomy? Cancel or keep it?

On Zero Hour, the publisher of a myth/conspiracy magazine searches for his missing wife and becomes pulled into a compelling mystery that has world-wide implications and goes back centuries. The series features the talents of Anthony Edwards, Addison Timlin, Carmen Ejogo, Dylan Baker, Jacinda Barrett, Michael Nyqvist, and Scott Michael Foster.

The debut of Zero Hour drew a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.38 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot and was the worst regular season premiere that ABC has ever had. Ouch.

Of course, trouble in this timeslot is nothing new for ABC.

In 2010, they tried My Generation. This ensemble drama debuted to just a 1.6 demo rating and was pulled off the air in two weeks.

In 2011, the new Charlie’s Angels debuted in the same timeslot to a 2.1 demo rating. It was cancelled within weeks and production was shut down. ABC aired seven of eight produced episodes.

This past September, Last Resort premiered to a 2.2 in the demo and the numbers quickly tumbled in the ensuing weeks. The show was cancelled but the cast and crew were able to wrap things up by episode 13.

So, unless the ratings for Zero Hour quickly climb, it seems this show is doomed to be quickly canned as well. A second season seems out of the question but hopefully the alphabet network will at least release all 13 installments.

But, what do you think? Do you like Zero Hour? Should ABC stick with it or pull it off the air already? Cancel or keep it?

kcw8 May 2, 2013 at 5:12 pm

ABC….wake up, this show was interesting and had a great plot line….I looked forward to the show. All these reality shows – are terrible. The people that watch them need to get lives of their own and stop being voyeurs. If you don’t renew this show – you’re nutz!!!!

kevin April 29, 2013 at 12:36 am

zero hour was one of the best shows on tv why cancel it to put all this reality crap on i do not watch reality shows i think they are stupid and actually very over the top fake drama i like suspense shows like zero hour. they need to bring it back.

Teresa Griffith April 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

could we please bring it back or give it to a network that has some smarts to keep it on.

Andrew Delio April 19, 2013 at 12:09 am

Fantastic Show, great story, suspenseful… I can’t believe they would pull this great show and leave series like Supernatural on the air. Don’t get me wrong, I think Supernatural is also very good. But, they quickly can shows like 666 park avenue… What is it ? Do they have a predudice for this genre. It’s ridiculous, I hope another network sees the potential in this show and picks it back up.

JanR April 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm

My daughter, friends and I loved this show and were looking forward to watching it. It is a great disappointment to find out it was canceled!

Crystal April 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I love how after three episodes they cancel such a great show! I think it’s funny how 6 million or so people is not enough for ABC to keep a show on the network. Who comes up with that amount? It stinks that good television.. interesting shows go to the wayside when the stupid reality shows which provide no substance continue to thrive. If ABC changed the time that Zero Hour was aired I bet it would do so much better. Maybe there’s a chance they will bring it back, if nothing else can they release the episodes that were finished at least?!

Kim March 28, 2013 at 9:35 am

With all the “nonscripted” reality TV shows and competition shows, it is very refreshing to find a drama with twists, turns, relics, God, conspiracy…. I love this show. Get rid of American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor etc. I am sick to death of all the contestant melodrama.

BRING BACK ZERO HOUR!!!

Becky March 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I love the show. You guys keep all the crappy ones. I hope you bring it during the summer then. I’m sure you’ll get all the ratings you like if that’s what you’re so concerned about. Ask
the people before you cancel it. This is why I don’t care to watch ABC. They show stupid stuff like wife swap or shark tank. When they finally get a good show airing, they cancel it. Have something for everyone.

Jeanette March 23, 2013 at 12:03 am

I’ve been looking for Zero Hour the past few weeks, My friend told me tonight, (Friday March 22nd,) that it was cancelled. How could they do that, the show was great, it kept me up and interested, I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next, Please, try to get it back on the air, I’m very dissappointed, they leave crap on and take off good shows.

Jenn van Dam March 22, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I was so upset to hear that this series was being deleted cancelled just as it was starting to unveil and pull me in always wanted to watch more reminded me of the movie national treasure I feel they should put it back on and get rid of stupid ass shows like wife swap at least Zero Hour talks about our past and future not the next dysfunctional celebrity family and their need to fit in with normal families.

Anonymous March 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

I really was enjoying Zero Hour and I certainly Will Not be watching Wife swap, what garbage!

martha slowik March 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm

they should bring back zero hour who the h!!! wants to watch wife swap i don’t care ,you had a good show like last resort and too that off the air and now zero hour how stupid can you be . i have never watches greys antomy now on thursday at 8:00 there is nothing good on.

Sharon March 21, 2013 at 12:21 am

I cannot believe you cancelled zero hour! The show is interesting, suspenseful, and well acted. There is so much trash on tv, why would abc cancell a good show like zero hour. Wife swap, REALLY? Whatever!,, please bring it back or sell the rights to a good channel like fox network.

fawn March 20, 2013 at 12:06 am

Finally when there is a show put on that actually requires you to use your brain unlike sitcoms an reality tv shows its canceled. Maybe it wasnt the show that was bad but the time slot it was put in please air the rest of the season. ending shows just as you are getting invested is why people rather go to redbox.

Cathy March 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Please bring the show back. We need shows like this that keeps you guessing…..like Lost. We do not need another mindless show like Wife Swife.