2006 Cancelled Shows: ABC Cleans House

Commander in Chief Season One The ABC network has been announcing its new Fall 2006 schedule this week. As part of that, they’ve been telling us what won’t be returning, much to the dismay of some TV viewers. It turns out that none of the scripted series introduced on ABC last fall will be returning.

Commander in Chief – ABC will begin airing the remaining new episodes on Wednesday, May 31, 2006. Fans of the series will be able to purchase Commander in Chief on DVD in the Fall. I would expect there to be some interesting supplemental materials concerning this promising but troubled series. (Download Commander in Chief on iTunes)

Crumbs – The outrageous comedy with Jane Curtin, William Devane and Fred Savage is not on the ABC Fall 2006 schedule. Five of the existing eight episodes were aired.

The Evidence – This Rob Estes drama shot six episodes (aired four) and has been off the schedule since April.

cast of FreddieFreddie – ABC will show the unaired pilot episode of the Brian Austin Green and Freddie Prinze, Jr. series on Wednesday, May 31, 2006.

Hope & Faith – After 73 episodes and three seasons, the season finale that aired on May 2nd will be the show’s last. Repeat episodes can be seen on Friday nights beginning June 2, 2006.

In Justice – The Kyle MacLachalan drama has not been picked up for a new season and only produced 13 episodes (all of which have aired).

Invasion – There were reportedly some initial talks of the show being picked up by the new CW network. That became unlikely due to high production costs. The complete Invasion series is available on DVD and features some nice extras.

Less Than Perfect – You can see new episodes starting on Tuesday, May 30, 2006. After four seasons, the show is not on the Fall lineup.

Primetime – For the first time in over 15 years, the veteran news show is not on the fall schedule. The show may return in the form of news specials or if an entertainment show currently on the schedule fails.

Rodney – This show has been missing since February but will return on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 to air unseen episodes.

Sons & Daughters – Fans of this quirky comedy can check out co-creator and series star Fred Goss’ blog for his thoughts on the cancellation.

Other shows that had been cancelled previously include: Alias, Emily’s Reasons Why Not, Hot Properties, Jake in Progress, and Night Stalker.

Keep in mind that, though unlikely, it is possible for shows to be resurrected, especially after a new season starts and new shows don’t garner the ratings that the network hopes for.

According to Jim, What About Brian and George Lopez, which were all on the brink of cancellation, have been renewed for another season. TV Series Finale home page

joanna September 26, 2006 at 9:06 pm

BRING INVASIONS BACK! IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING SHOWS I’VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME! IF YOU’RE GOING TO CUT IT, ATLEAST GIVE US AN ENDING. DON’T JUST LEAVE US ALL HANGING! THATS WEAK!

William September 26, 2006 at 8:44 pm

ABC, you picked me up as last year with lost and invasion and promptly lost me this year by surprisingly canceling invasion. If you weren’t going to bring it back, you should have ended it last season. Doesn’t seem like a wise way to run a business to me.

-William

j goodnight September 26, 2006 at 6:24 pm

Just found out that The TV series Surface and Invasion were cancelled! My husband and I loved these shows! Even my 9 year old son loved Surface! HUGE mistake to cancel these series! (I realize these are two different networks)

Laurie Garrett September 26, 2006 at 4:26 pm

INVASION was better than LOST!!! I hope it comes back on some network. Wednesday night was even better than Sunday Night. Big Mistake.

Chris & Staci September 25, 2006 at 9:09 pm

We were devastated to hear that Invasion would not be back this season. Seems they’ve dicided to cancel all the good shows and replace them with a lot of crap. We want Invasion back!!!!!

Tim September 25, 2006 at 8:07 pm

why are you cancalling invasion??!!!?? its a great show and so is Rodney… so please bring back those two shows.
P.S. please dont get According to Jim and Goage lopez i love those shows, makes my week alot better. =)

Gina Grimsley September 25, 2006 at 6:51 am

Thank Goodness George Lopez has atleast one more season. Lost and George are the only two shows that has me hooked on ABC in the evenings anymore. When they go, I go. Lost about had me done in the first season with all the re-runs. I hope they have this problem fixed now and keep us happy. George is so funny on his show, I can’t imagine why they would have thought of having him on the chopping block this year. ABC just wants too many serious shows in the evening. This country needs to laugh some with all the stress we have to face every day. WAKE UP ABC !!

Rick September 25, 2006 at 4:05 am

No more football and now you cancel Rodney. ABC is starting to go down hill pretty fast in my book!

Cheyenne September 24, 2006 at 12:36 pm

Are you serious?!!!! Invasion and Surface cancelled? No closure or anything? What the hell is wrong with the network execs? Do they pay attention to anything? Well the only thing I will watch on ABC now is Grey’s Anatomy and Lost…thats it….I will now transfer my time to FX, SciFI and NBC. Check out “Smith” on CBS Tuesday nights…it’s worth the watch if you like Ray Liota!

Bell September 21, 2006 at 5:20 pm

I just learned that Invasion and Surface were both cancelled! THIS SUCKS!!! SUCKS!!!!! SUCKS!!!!!

I don’t normally watch TV, but my kids were hooked and I got hooked as well. I enjoyed and looked forward to watching Invasion, Lost, Surface and Nip/Tuck this season.

How you top executive IDIOTS who make lots and lots of money don’t know that people LOVE the beggining of every epsiode, the cliffhanger for the season finale and the final, final episode of the series.
PLEAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BRING INVASION & SURFACE back! I beg you and my kids beg you.

I will not watch anything on ABC from now on!

LOSERS!!!!!

Leanna M. Thorne September 20, 2006 at 11:19 pm

I am late to the party here. I have been looking forward to seeing the premiere of Invasion and it’s been cancelled? I cannot believe that!! I watched it faithfully and looked forward to seeing it on Wednesdays!! Bring it back! It really is NOT fair to end it like that! I am very disappointed and will be changing to another station. ABC, you really upset a lot of people here. Why can’t we have an ending? I’ve heard you can get the show on DVD but some people would rather watch it on T.V. instead of having to buy it. Reconsider here and be fair. Invasion IS not WAS a great show! It seems that whenever I get into a show, it gets cancelled! I am really sick of it! Do the smart thing and bring it back! You will be losing a lot of people here if you don’t. Me included. Please reconsider!!

Barbra Arres September 20, 2006 at 11:33 am

I am very disappointed that Invasion will not be returning. Through the years, without realizing it, I have stopped watching CBS and ABC. It was not intentional, it just happened that all the television shows I enjoyed were on NBC. With my interest in the new and innovative show Invasion, I ended up watching several ABC shows, by starting to watch Lost and Invasion,and before you knew it I was watching Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy on Sunday and Boston Legal on Tuesday. Please rethink your decision on Invasion.

George September 18, 2006 at 5:22 pm

I just realized that invasion was not coming back. What is with the networks with not keeping good shows. Making room for more reality shows? or more lame sticoms? THANKS ALOT

DAMON RUNION September 18, 2006 at 9:25 am

ALTHOUGH SONS AND DAUGHTERS HAVE BEEN CANCELED I DO BELIEVE THIS WAS THE FUNNIEST NEW SHOW AIRED IN A LONG TIME. PERHAPS AUDIENCES DIDNT REALLY GET ENOUGH TIME TO SIT AND CATCH THIS SHOW. I THOUGHT RIGHT AWAY THAT THIS WAS THE HIT OF ABC’S NEW SITCOMS. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE THIS SHOW AIRED AGAIN AND COMPARE THE RATINGS NOW TO THE FIRST AIRINGS OF SONS AND DAUGHTERS. I WOULD HATE TO SEE ABC LOSE OUT ON A WINNER. IF ANOTHER NETWORK PICKS THIS UP PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

DAMON

Sharon September 18, 2006 at 6:48 am

ABC needs their heads examined. You NEED to bring Rodney back. It is one of the funniest shows I ever saw. I looked forward every week to watching it. I love According to Jim, but yes Rodney was funnier. I would love to see both shows air back to back again. Does ABC not think that with all the sadness going on in the world, that people could use some gut hurting laughter in their lives. Instead of all the police dramas and reality shows that are always popping up year after year, starting keeping the great comedy shows on. I am starting to give up watcing TV because there is no laughter on it anymore. People like to laugh. Don’t you ABC, so BRING BACK RODNEY