Bent: NBC Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

NBC canceled Bent , no season twoNBC’s new sitcom Bent came and went very quickly. We now know that it’s been cancelled so it certainly won’t be back.

A romantic comedy, Bent revolves around the relationship of a divorced no-nonsense lawyer (Amanda Peet) and the irresponsible womanizing contractor (David Walton) that she reluctantly hires to renovate her kitchen. Others in the cast include Joey King, Margo Harshman, Jeffrey Tambor, J.B. Smoove, Jesse Plemons, and Pasha D. Lychnikoff.

NBC held Bent until late in the season (never a good sign) and ran the six episodes in hour blocks over the course of three weeks.

The belief was that, by airing two episodes together, they would have a better chance of hooking an audience.

It’s hard to know if that strategy worked to any degree but the ratings were terrible. The show aired opposite other popular shows on Wednesday nights and debuted to a 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.75 million total viewers. It was fourth place in its timeslot. The second installment dropped 20% to a 0.8 rating with 2.38 million.

The next two weeks saw a low of 0.7 in the demo with 1.93 million. With those numbers, there was just no way that NBC was going to bring it back for a second season.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, Bent has an “D-” grade. It’s the lowest-rated sitcom that the NBC aired this season.

What do you think? Do you think Bent is a better show than what the ratings seem to indicate? Would you like to have seen it return for a second season?

Kyle September 7, 2012 at 7:19 pm

just discovered this hilarious show! wish it was staying.

Frank September 5, 2012 at 8:03 am

I miss this show!!! It was so good, Please….any other network…..pick up this show!!!

Skip September 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Who in their right mind canceles a show this good after only 6 episodes? Are you kidding me!?!? Who in God’s name is in charge of what shows NBC keeps or scraps because he/she/it(most likely) is an old, dust filled, spiteful little goblin( for the sake of lazyness I’ll call him/her/it Kreacher) who’s been so traumatised by the fact that kids made fun of him from kindergarden through middleschool (where he probably quit public education), that whenever someone uses the slightest hint of sarcasm arround him, he starts reliving the past traumatic experiences of kids laughing, atomic wedgies and embarassing awkward social interactions , and reminds himself of the plege he made years ago while hanging like a flag up the schoolyard tree, on his major wedgie, that he would rid the World of mean jokes (or who knows, maybe jokes alltogether), pranks and bullying. What Kreacher however failed to realise, is that sarcasm, humour, subltety and the “in controll” attitude (wich the protagonist of the show in quiestion posesses) is different from the “I am bigger, therefore I will make fun of you and beat you up whenever I please” attitude of the schoolyard bully (wich they most likely have due to some lack of love/education – therefore even they are not evil or to be hated, but I digress). Therefore, the spitefull little Kreacher that made this annoying, not to mention stupid, decision to cancel “Bent” should ondoubtedly be fired, on account of being an either severly incompetent or incredibly uninterested in their, or just plain not fun, and not last incredibly costly to NBC, by not realising the great untapped potential of the show and the millions of fans worldwide it could have. So with my closing statement, I would like to send a message to NBC, and the rest of the TV companys:
There is a growing audience out there, that loves shows filled with sarcasm, tension, an an unpredictable turn of events….it’s called INTELLIGENT peope. So please, major companys, stop bombarding us with stupid/boring/predictable/lame soaps and shows, and canceling the cool, intelligent, funny and unpredictable shows, and bring us quality television filled with clever remarks and charismatic characters, and in turn, we, the viewers will reward you with the oportunity of making millions. All this however, starts with one step: Bring back “Bent”! The second step would be to fire whoever it was that cancelled it in the first place. The thirs step: hire someone intelligent and funny and confident in a better world, who would love to sit arround all day and wach TV shows AND be paid to do so, someone like me for instance :D.

EllieR September 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Just found it on Hulu and loved it. I thought it was a well rounded show. How disappointing to find it’s cancelled.

Anthony August 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Bring it back! Just watched on hulu had no idea it was a show until today. NBC should of promoted better.

Troy August 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I really really enjoyed this show it was fantastic. Whoever decided to cancel this show was off their rocker! Show is great PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!

meg August 28, 2012 at 7:59 pm

i really hope they change their minds and bring back this show it’s so cute!

Gudrun August 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Yes BENT is the best so sad to find out it was cancelled – I WISH THEY WOULD BRING IT BACK :D !!!

Kimberly L August 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I just discovered Bent and loved it! Can’t believe they didn’t do a better job with PR on this to really give it a chance.

Chris Stevens August 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oh, it was so clever. Blame your
P.R. department, NBC. No one knew it was on. And, it was a winner.

Lisa August 12, 2012 at 7:30 am

This show was extremely good me and my sister loved it!!!!! NBC should NO HAS to bring it back!! From a long day at school it’s all I look forward to at the end of the day it always made me laugh and cheered me up no matter how bad my mood was.

tony August 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

I wished the show would have went on it was so funny

jackie August 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

Bent was a great show! It was funny, offbeat and fast. I loved it and would love to see it renewed. I can’t believe you chose to cancel this show.

Jamie July 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm

NBC has other sitcoms?

andrea July 23, 2012 at 3:27 am

the show was really good! bring it back!!!