Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Grace July 4, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I have to say that I love Black Box, I think its something no one ever did before and I think it shows the world of someone with bipolar. I would hate to see it canceled.

Anonymous July 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Everyone here
We need to keep tweeting ABC not to cancel this show. Do it everyday. Let them find an appropriate time slot and day for it. Improve the writing and relationships. This show is different and can work well a Everybody , TWEET please

Kay Robinson July 4, 2014 at 2:01 pm

This show has to be saved. It is so powerful. It shows how complex and vulnerable we all are. With what has been happening in the world just this past year how can we not look at the human brain and try and figure out how violence, rage and anger are triggered.

The main charachters, are based on the doctors that I have met in real life. Tireless, dedicated, and brilliant.

Please keep this show. It is my favorite.

aliceindandyland July 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Black Box is my absolute favorite new show. Please don’t cancel it. It is engrossing, sexy, and has the best soundtrack of any TV show, which makes for this wonderful ambience. Lots of wonderful, successful shows in the past didn’t do well in their first season. Give it a chance!

Lynne July 4, 2014 at 11:14 am

This is the worst melodrama ABC has ever come up with. Unconvincing plots, bad acting, unlikely science and just plain dumb. Cancel it and burn the unaired episodes.

Anonymous July 4, 2014 at 1:58 pm

You are soooo wrong. Unconvincing plots??????? It’s very REAL. It’s much more intelligent than Mistresses or any reality show. The writing needs to improve, but give it a chance! And what’s wrong with melodrama? TV is full of shitty melodramas and boring reality shows.

Laura July 4, 2014 at 2:34 am

I’m tired of investing my time watching a new series & liking it when these days pretty much everything gets canceled. out of 12 new shows I started watching 10 were canceled, so I’ve given up TV, my time has not been respected by these networks and until they start to give new series more of a chance & quit being so quick to cancel then I refuse to start watching any new series.

kellyreillyfans on Twitter July 4, 2014 at 1:12 am

Get on twitter, and let ABC know! #RenewBlackbox ASAP!

Deede July 3, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Great Show! Why would you switch the time slot now if ratings are low. Do you really think puttting the show opposite Hell’s Kitchen willl boost its ratings now!!! Get it together ABC! Give us another season.

Lowden Renee Rosenblum July 3, 2014 at 9:59 pm

It keeps getting better and better

Paula July 3, 2014 at 9:41 pm

This is an excellent show and it deserves a chance. If you suck us in and then cancelled, I’m hesitant to start watching any series until I know it is renewed for a second year.

Jennifer Fischetto July 3, 2014 at 9:11 pm

In all fairness, I only watched the first episode, but I didn’t tune in for the second because I think it was awful. I like the niece, the brother, and the fiance, but I HATE Catherine. No sense in watching a show if you feel that strongly about the lead character. Based only on that first ep, I think her psychiatrist is completely irresponsible, and they both should be sued for malpractice–I don’t care that no one was harmed. I think writing about a bipolar character is great. I think a smart neuro-doc is also great. I think combining the two and expecting me to root for an irresponsible woman is stupid.

any body July 4, 2014 at 7:01 am

I watched two episodes and think Catherine is too over-the-top. She ditched her meds at least 3 times in first episode, this after hiding her illness for years? If it had started out more evenly I would have followed it.

Anonymous July 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Does it really matter? ABC is going to cancel it anyway. And, ditching meds 3x after hiding an illness for years is not unusual for a Bipolar I or II person who is very high functioning. I still think the show is a lot more intelligent that the other crap that ABC keeps promoting. Now, they are promoting some shit comedies for Wednesday nights in the fall. Perhaps they should reconsider this. Why doesn’t someone forward our e-mails to the director of programming and marketing for ABC?

Gerry Laster July 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm

This is a well-written quality show with a twist. Not your norm but ai just discovered it and read that it may be dropped for bad ratings. Where is ABC marketing and promotion. I understand it may have even been moved at least once and up against other established shows. Why do we lose good shows and keep the reality trash? I look forward to watching as long as you will show it.

Joanna Karner July 3, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I absolutely love Black Box! I am a retired biology teacher with MS. Please give black box some more time!

Mary V July 3, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I just discovered Black Box and am booked after two episodes. Hope it continues!

cutter July 3, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Keep it one…a really good show. Shows real thought

Barbara E July 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

This show is excellent and ABC should realize by now that people are watching ONDEMAND or recording these days. Also, they switched the time block and most people didn’t know that until they went to tune in last week. This happens a lot. Now they put it up against Hell’s Kitchen in my market which many people are already watching. Dr. Black needs to ditch the chef boy friend for the equally nutty doctor surgeon.

Lynn Lello July 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I agree with you. Keep Black Box and bring back Betrayal. It was a sopranoesque drama. ABC ditches all the good shows. The hell with the ratings. If someone would take the time to market the shows properly and really study the appropriate time slots, we wouldn’t lose these shows to such asinine shows such as all the reality shows (which suck) and some of the ridiculous ones like Mistresses. It’s time for a change. Are there no intellectuals out there? Not that I consider myself one, but this show, “Black Box” has potential. Writers, please work on it

Maureen W July 3, 2014 at 8:28 pm

This is my first time watching Black Box I think it funny and interesting .I think they should give it a chance and renew it.