Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Angelica July 26, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Don’t understand why such low ratings? Do they count when a person watches it on demand cause they’re not able to watch on viewing day for personal reasons. Vacations

Angelica July 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm

This is a really great show. I enjoy it cause I know ppl that are bipolar & this show shows the good areas & the bad affects of this mental illness. Cliffhanger? Please we need to see this show. Please do not cancel.

linda July 26, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I cannot believe the garbage that’s aired on TV every week to rave reviews and this perfectly wonderful show is being cancelled. Why not cancel the drivel that dominates TV like the incessant crime shows and ridiculously manipulated “reality” shows? There truly must be mindless robots making the decisions at these networks!

R Hankinson July 26, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I loved the show. Great acting and human chemistry I really believe it needs another season

Anonymous July 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I made a comment back on May 31st regarding the episode dealing with confabulation and have been following every comment made in this thread. I have to say many of the comments surprise me. Especially some of those made by people who suffer from Bi polar. I am not be polar but I do have mental illnesses as well as a severe traumatic brain injury and other neurological brain disorders. I very much enjoy Black Box from an ENTERTAINING perspective which is what it is meant to be. It is a DRAMA and not a DOCUMENTARY. It is neither REALISTIC nor EDUCATIONAL and based on the majority of the comments here I hate to say it but I think the show does more harm than good. It has on more that one occasion put me in a position to have to defend my medical conditions to friends and family. Over a TV show which I find completely ridiculous. Are we so wrapped up in what is presented by Hollywood that we take it as truth? Dr Black supposedly works with the top neurologists and psychologists in the country and none of them have picked up on her illness or medications. As I said the show is very entertaining and I will even say well acted in parts but I will not give it a realistic a!d for anyone to believe that this could occur in real life is just mind boggling to me. The fact that the rabies patient was cured by her… Happened before.. Google it. Confabulation was not accurately portrayed. I know because I have it. I see 2 neurologists and while I myself suffer from mental illness I would certainly like to know if they were bi polar. I had a PCP that had Parkinsons disease and he was required by law to disclose that information to his patients. I have friends that are bi polar and control it with medication and function quite well but they don’t/can’t hide it from regular everyday people close to them let alone working side by side with experts trained to recognize the signs. The medications taken for many of these illnesses have extreme side effects that are very visible and the show doesn’t even touch on that. Not every brain problem, in fact most brain problems, are not immediately diagnosed and cured as the show would have you believe. Those of us with TBI and neurological disorders often have lifelong problems just like those with mental illness and medications are not always a simple fix. The only good I see this show doing is bringing it into public awareness. I could go on with a lot more but most of you will likely stop reading after my first 2 sentences anyway. BTW I am 42 and would have loved to continued watching this show, but on principle after reading so many comments about it being educational and realistic I just can’t. If you want to be educated on mental illness or brain injuries or neurological disorders you can certainly do better than a TV drama. There are many good medical websites and books you can read. This show does not depict what doctors or patients truly go through…

mike and gwen July 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm

good job, another booby trap for us to fall in and lead us to cable. not only do we seldom tune to abc BB leads us to news and weather and reminds us of a couple other shows we like. there are shows on cable channels as intense and enjoyable. thanks for the help to give us no choice but to completely eliminate ABC from all our viewing oh btw hopefully another network will pick-up mixology.

m&g

Sylvia N July 26, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Renew Renew Renew … I LoveThisShow

marilyn July 26, 2014 at 4:49 pm

love Black Box!!! Don’t cancel!

Cathy July 26, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Like most shows I enjoy and really get into, this one is on the chopping block. I really enjoy this show. It gives me a ray of hope for my granddaughter. Instead, we will get more mind numbing / dumbing-down shows. We’ll get more reality shows which aren’t reality at all. This show was a breath of fresh air. Original, and not regurgitated or re-made. I guess the line in the country song is right…”315 channels of nothing but bad news on”.

Anonymous July 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm

should not have changed timeslot

Misty July 26, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Love the show, please,renew for a 2nd season!!!

Jo July 26, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I think this is an amazing show and helps people understand what it is to be bipolar and the struggle it is for the person who has it and for the family members that have to witness it. Kelly Reily is amazing on portraying a person with the disease. Even though it can be depressing to watch at times it is better than some of the cop shows on that are always killing people. Maybe people aren’t watching it because it hits so close to home for many.

Anonymous July 26, 2014 at 3:32 pm

great show I love it

Mary Ellen July 26, 2014 at 3:14 pm

This is a great show. I am shocked the ratings were so low. I hope it is not cancelled.

Mary M. July 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm

like most shows that I actually like it seems I don’t get to enjoy it any longer. Instead the airwaves are filled with junk shows that you couldn’t pay me to watch. I guess that is what I get for not complying to majority demographics. No tv shows or movies for people like me.