Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,631 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Ginny says

I have really enjoyed the show. especially once I got into it. I would like to see it continue. I think people have to find it and then they will like it.

2. Ginny says

3. Henry says

It is not up to me whether the show should be cancelled or not. However, because it was shown for a few episodes I really think that the remaining shows should be broadcast so the few viewers that did watch the show can have closure.
    NBC cancelled ‘CROSSBONES’ and showed the remaining shows on a Saturday. That seems like a good idea. (Just do not put it up against ‘HELL ON WHEELS’.

4. Olivia says

Please don’t cancel black box sure the first episode was not so good but if you think deeper you will love it that has what I have learned but I love the actors please bring it back.

5. Sandy says

Please do not cancel this show!!!!People need to be made aware of Mental Illness and this show does this!

• Norton says

THe show is Great. Acting is great. It is not a simple show –very intense. The subject matter is real and the acting surfaces reality! Perhaps the show “embarrasses ” too many people. Saying I’ve got Bi=polar and SEEING live how this metal illness affect all the people in the circle of illness is sooooo different! Let’s get people to think! Please do not cancel the show! too good to go!

6. Jessica says

I really enjoyed the entire season! Although I have work at that time so I always watched it on Hulu. Would love to see another season in the future!

7. Argelia Campos says

I don’t think is fair, it should not be cancelled. It helps people with bipolary believie that we can be something in life, that we are not sick. It gives us motivation, but I guess like everybody says “a show is show, it Will never be reality “. Next time don’t do those kinds of shows, it hurts My feelings.

8. Roz says

I can’t believe the ratings! This show is great!
    I love the storyline and the characters. I am HOOKED!!
    PLEASE DON’T cancel the show. :(

9. Amber says

PLEASE SAVE THIS SHOW ABC!!! I adore this show and don’t know what I’ll do without it!! It’s a GREAT show!!!

10. Sewadoll says

We love the show and look forward to the superb acting and storyline each week. Please we have enough violence, vampires, and zombies, please The cube is where it’s at!

11. Pamela says

Some of the best shows had a rough first year. This show is very, very good if the network will give it some time to grow.