Combat Hospital: ABC’s Latest Medical Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Combat Hospital cancel or season twoLast year, ABC had some success with Rookie Blue, a cop drama that’s produced north of the border, in Canada. It’s already been renewed for a third season. This summer, the network began airing another Canadian show, Combat Hospital. Will it find the same success as Rookie Blue or be cancelled after one season like their last medical series, Off the Map?

Combat Hospital (formerly known as The Hot Zone) revolves around the life and work of a group of doctors and nurses from various countries at a military hospital in Southern Afghanistan. The cast includes Deborah Kara Unger, Michelle Borth, Elias Koteas, Terry Chen, Arnold Pinnock, and Luke Mably.

The TV series debuted on June 21st to a less-than-impressive 1.2 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.32 million viewers. It was in second place in the timeslot, being handily beaten by The Voice on NBC. The second episode of Combat Hospital dropped 8% in the demo and the following week fell another 9%. Week four then dropped 20% to a 0.8 demo rating.

The ratings have gone up and down a bit since then but the show is only averaging a 0.9 in the demographic and 4.0 million total viewers. While viewership is typically lower in the summer months, this performance is not good at all. ABC has several new shows running and Combat Hospital is currently tied with Friday’s Karaoke Battle USA for last place.

Based on the ratings, there’s simply no reason for ABC to want to renew Combat Hospital for a second season. The 13th and final episode of the season (and likely the series) is set to air on September 13th.

But, what do you think? Do you like Combat Hospital? Should it be cancelled or renewed? Is it worth watching? Cancel or keep it?

Krissy Pleszewski March 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I loved Combat Hospital it could of NOT been canceled! PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW!

anne marie March 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm

KEEP THE SHOW I LOVE IT
KEEP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

lingles March 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

Its our generation of M*A*S*H. Please Keep this show! The cast is fantastic and what a way to show vets support from around the world with another show the whole family can watch together. It shows how different countries can work together to save lives. I remember watching MASH with my parents thinking it was a funny show but I didn’t really understand but as I got older and learned about wars in school I got it. I really hope this show is back this summer! The Basic Networks don’t seem to care about their viewers in the summer either I want to be entertained I’m tired of all this “reality” crap! Its not reality! I don’t have 200 channels to choose from just 6 and I want something to watch that has actors/actresses in it you know those professionals not the guy next door with no talent that just wants to get on tv to be stupid for all to see.

eric March 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm

i think abc should rethink there the idea of cancelling combat hospital,they are wrong.this was a very interesting show.for one it did a very good job of portraying a taste of what the dr.s & medics are going through over afghanastan.the show is a real eye opener please keep it.thank you for this comment page

Pat Thompson February 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I absolutely loved this show. I can”t believe it was cancelled!

eunice February 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I LOVED THE SHOW, ONE OF THE BEST IN A LONG TIME. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL IT. I WANT TO SEE MORE

kate February 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm

PLEASE DONT CANCEL…… You finally are airing something tasteful to watch. Not stupid reality.

Penny February 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

Just like NBC, cancelled The Event. You cancell two excellent shows, Conbat Hospital & Off The Map. Where do you get your ratings?? No one ask the million people out there that enjoy these type shows that are sick & fed up with stupid reality, game shows & talent shows!!! Thank goodness for cable network or I would not watch tv!!

DEMOND January 31, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Why they cancel Combat Hospital .Why want they cancel ABC.

Warren VanHeeren January 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Keep it I like the concept of the program, I beleve it honors service men and women from around the world.

John Henderson January 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

KEEP THIS SHOW!!!!

Airman Burge January 16, 2012 at 6:09 pm

DO NOT CANCEL I LOVE THE SERIES

Airman Burge January 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm

As a Navy Veteran I loved this series. But thats the way it goes GOOD program and they replace with something STUPID

Janet January 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

really enjoy Combat Hospital have been waiting for the new season start. Cant understand while all the excellent shows get cancelled. DONT CANCEL THIS PROGRAM!!!!

Sally January 9, 2012 at 6:31 am

LOVED “Combat Hospital” well done –really want to see more episodes!!