Common Law

Episodes: 12 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: May 11, 2012 — August 10, 2012
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Warren Kole, Michael Ealy, Jack McGee, Sonya Walger

TV show description:
This TV series revolves around two incredible — and incredibly different — police detectives. When things come to a head during their “seven-year itch” as partners, their captain forces them into couples therapy to save their “work marriage.”

Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) has a laidback demeanor and can seem nonchalant but is fiercely intelligent, has natural instincts and a maverick style that works. A product of street living and the foster system, Travis has the uncanny ability to read people. He’s also a ladies man who’s always got a date but has a hard time admitting his mistakes and making a commitment.

His partner, Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole), is intelligent, observant, obsessively methodical, and a man who keeps emotions bottled up inside. His perfectionist behavior sometimes rubs others on the LAPD the wrong way. Formerly an ace lawyer, Wes left that world after a client committed suicide. Now, he tries to keep his free-spirited partner in line and uses his legal acumen and affinity for facts to track down the bad guys. It’s good for the department but his marriage to his wife Alex didn’t survive because of his job.

Captain Sutton (Jack McGee) used to be the fire-breathing dragon of the LAPD homicide division, but years of therapy have made him a more understanding, open leader -– much to the chagrin of anyone who’s around when he feels like sharing.

Travis and Wes have a seven-year track record as the Los Angeles Police Department’s best detectives in the Robbery-Homicide Division. Because their constant bickering is interfering with their work and lands them on probation, Captain Sutton sends them to couples therapy with his own counselor.

A tough-as-nails therapist, Dr. Emma Ryan (Sonya Walger) tries to help Travis and Wes understand and resolve their conflicts and confront their demons in order to enhance their ability to work together solving crimes.

Series Finale:
Episode #12 — Gun!
After being kicked out of Dr. Ryan’s group, Wes and Travis make a deal with their eccentric new therapist to get them out of counseling for good. But when a run-in with the members of the Special Investigations Section leads Travis to blow his top, the detectives realize that they don’t just need to go back to therapy — they need Dr. Ryan. Chastened, the duo offers to tell Dr. Ryan the story of how they ended up in counseling in the first place if she’ll take them back.

Flashback a few years. Officer Davis Paek, aka Pac-Man, introduces two detectives who would go on to distinguished careers in the Robbery Homicide Division: Wes Mitchell and Travis Marks. Hoping to return the favor, the detectives throw a couple of arrests their friend’s way and before long Pac-Man is being drafted by the SIS, a step up the ladder that would make any officer envious. But everything is not as it seems in the SIS, and when Pac-Man winds up dead, Wes and Travis start down the path that eventually leads to their meltdown.

Now, on the eve of Pac-Man’s birthday, Wes and Travis have a chance to bring his killers to justice — if they can first repair the damage from their own falling out. With a true breakthrough so close, Wes and Travis must confront the feelings that split them apart.
First aired: August 10, 2012

What do you think? Did you like Common Law? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled? How would you have ended the show?

Canceled and renewed TV show

168 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Big Bill says

I just can’t believe this. Who’s decision was this?
    I love the show..great story with the 2 detectives having to go to couples therapy.
    The show has a little of this and that….it’s mixed and flexible.
    I have no need for my DVR now..thanks to the decision to cancel.

2. boo718 says

MAAAAANNN!!! This show is SO GOOD!! Why would they even think of cancelling it?! I live all the way in South Africa and the show is such a HIT! It’s the breath of fresh air that tv needs!! SERIOUSLY?!

3. Patricia Harris says

I was so looking forward to the next season. I am really hurt and angry at the canceling of this show after one season. Really?

4. T Calloway says

I hate this! This is one of the few shows that I liked and waited to see. What are they thinking? Sorry to see it go – hope another network picks it up.

5. says

I can’t believe they cancelled this show. I was so enjoying it. It had a lot of humour, touching moments and detective work, without any really horrible visual violence like most of the shows on TV now. I am extremely disappointed and so are a lot of my friends.

6. THE ROGERS says

SORRY TO SEE THIS ONE CANCELLED TOO. DOESN’T SEEM LIKE THEY GAVE THE SHOW ENOUGH TIME. IT HAD THE PERFECT MIX. HOPE OTHER NETWORKS MIGHT CONCIDER PICKING UP THE SERIES.

7. Good one says

I can’t believe this show has been cancelled. I guess I should have expected it. With all the crap that is on T.V. and then a show that is worth watching is pulled. I hope a network that has enough guts to give this show another chance, will pick it up.

8. TVfan says

Have been watching this show in Canada and have loved it. I think if it had been shown on a major network it would have been a winner and definitely have gone on for 5 years. Too bad it was cancelled.

• Dave says

I’m from Canada too and have been watching it on Showcase…I absolutely LOVE this show…it’s really funny and lots of drama too…soooo much better than a lot of the CRAP that continues year after year.

9. silly says

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEAAASSSE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!! I JUST NOW FOUND OUT AND I AM SO DISTRAUGHT OVER THIS!! I HAVE SAVED ALL OF THE 1ST SEASON EPISODES SO THAT I CAN GO BACK TO VIEW DURING THE OFF SEASON.

I STRONGLY IMPLORE UPON YOU TO RECONSIDER THE CANCELATION OF THIS HIIGHLY REGARDED SHOW!!

10. Postman says

I thought the show was very interesting and felt it was different and depicted what happens in partnerships. Sorry to see it was cancelled and truly believe it should have gotten more time to find it’s audience.

11. kellybelly says

I AM SO UPSET THAT THIS SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED!!!!! THERE IS SO MUCH TRASH ON TV AND THIS WAS ACTUALLY FUNNY WITH DRAMA AND ACTION! PLEASE RECONSIDER!