CSI: NY: Has the CBS TV Series Been Cancelled?

CSI NY canceled?We’ve received several emails from readers who love CSI: NY and are worried that it’s been cancelled. Will the show ever return? The simple answer is, “Yes, it’s on hiatus until March 30th.” But, while the TV series hasn’t been canned yet, Gary Sinise and company could certainly be in their final season.

It’s no secret that the ratings have declined over the years and that’s probably one of the reasons that CBS moved it to a Friday night timeslot. It still brings in a respectable 10 million viewers each week but is one of the network’s worst performer in the prized 18-49 demographic, even when you adjust for the Friday timeslot. Year-to-year, the show is also down by 7% in the demo.

At the recent TCA press tour, CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler noted that, though she loves the CSI shows, “Nothing runs forever. How you handle it, the most important thing is how you respect your audience, how you respect your cast, and being incredibly sensitive to how you wrap up any show when it ends a successful run. But we are in those talking stages now (about how to end the CSIs).”

TV show supportIt’s unlikely that CBS will end all three CSI series this year but they could certainly drop one or two of them. Based on the ratings, the New York version would be first in line to be cancelled.

What do you think? Is this the last season of CSI: NY? Should the series be cancelled or renewed for one more season?

John C. Stouffer Jr. September 15, 2014 at 9:53 am

I was surprised to hear CSI NEW YORK would be the first of the CSI shows to go! Although I have enjoyed all three series CSI NEW YORK W AS MY FAVORITE FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY THE ORIGINAL CSI. I do think the down fall of both spin offs is their straying from the basic crime themes. When they started the international plots they got away from the local crime that effects most people in large American cities. For instance when CSI MIAMI took it to Mexico and CSI NEW YORK with international gun running. This is just two examples of the writers straying from the original stories. The other problem I thought might cause ratings to fall is with the two spin offs spending more time as actual police instead of CSI,s. Once again I love all three shows and have the all the re-runs to look forward to. One they I do wish they would do though is actually end the the series instead of leaving us hanging. I would rather have them all quit the job and move Cleveland or they all get married and choose another career, anything than show is cancelled .

K. M. Klein February 7, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Very disappointed when CSI:NY was cancelled so abruptly — not a nice thing to do people who are loyal to it. One show ya coulda made disappear was CSI: Las Vegas — that show is getting old.
Hope the Powers that Be come to their senses and at least give the loyal viewers a good fairwell — something we deserve!
Realize this well fall on deaf ears — but I had to give it a shot. The reason I’m so late in getting note to you is that I was hoping CSI:NY would come back. Also, you might want to take into consideration the over 50 demographics — that group is getting larger by the minute and, we’re old and can get pretty nasty if need be.

K. M. Klein February 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Was very disappointed when CSI:NY went off the air so abrutly — not a nice thing

Doris January 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Please don’t cancel csi ny love this show, never missed it. All the characters are great
but Gary Sinise is just awesome.

Bernadette laviolette January 13, 2014 at 8:26 pm

What pisses me off about CSI NY is that CSI Miami was cancelled to CSI NY. Miami still had original actors and all of them bing very good!! They definitely were different then thr other CSIs.. The show always brought u in with Horashios, however, u spell his name, one liners which were always captivating and always made u want to watch the show!!! In my opinion, I’m do done with CSI and it’s producers, u really messed up when u cancelled Miami over NY. No excuses, I no I’m right, already looked this up when Miami disappeared!! U guys screwed up!!! No longer a fan of CSI whatsoever !!

gail hennessey January 10, 2014 at 8:03 pm

please do not cancel csi ny this is one of the few shows I love other than bluebloods the hook up is good for me but maybe for the younger crowd they would prefer Wednesday night momday people are home home the same with Tuesday qnd wed. thurs they begin to go out Friday they go out sat the sane abd subday they are in getting ready for work on Monday

Janet Wilson December 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

Love this show, of all the CSI shows if you are going to drop one, drop the CSI, but not CSI NY or CSI LA. The CSI show became so gruesome that I stopped watching. The other two CSI shows have great characters and at least don’t go all “blood and guts”.

Stephania Owumi December 14, 2013 at 1:15 am

Please bring the tv show back because that is my best tv show.