Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

otter February 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm

great show, unique characters, good medical show, while dramatic characters feel real..
Hope gets renewed

r gregoire February 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS SHOW WOULD BE CANCELLED?????

Trish February 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Why was Emily Owens MD cancelled? I loved this show!! :(

Michaela January 16, 2014 at 4:06 am

Should not have been cancelled. Loved it!

Cathy January 13, 2014 at 3:26 am

Loved the show. So many shows should be cancelled , but not ths one!

Nan December 31, 2013 at 2:01 am

I too can’t believe that the show was cancelled . I also found it on netflix.. Perhaps the net work didn’t promote it well. I really hope the net work will reconsider and bring it back. It’s hard to find good clean show to watch as a family . We love, love it

Anonymous January 7, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I agree with 100% Nan, this was a show I could enjoy with my kids, which is a rare find.

Emma December 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I love the show, I want it back! I got attached to the characters and the show left me at such a cliff hanger, to find that it was cancelled was devastating. I need another TV show since all of my old ones ended, so BRING IT BACK.

Susan Renner December 24, 2013 at 12:15 am

Bring it back, please!

Marie December 20, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I wish they would bring this show back….. the ending had me on the edge of my seat….. and in total dispense…. and I can only hope that one day it will come back

Linda December 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm

We have watched the whole season on Netflix, and love the show. Why does a quality show like this (with a talented cast) get cancelled, with all of the other cr*p on television that gets renewed year after year? If CW won’t reconsider, maybe Netflix could consider picking it up as their own…

Vi January 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

I am hoping for teh same thing Linda! I just finsihed the series last night and I really got sucked into it (I think the first half of the series sets you up and the second half pulls you in). When I learned there will be no Season 2, I was praying Netflix would pick it up and turn it into anotehr “semi-original” series!!!!! I REALLY want this show running again!!!

michael December 13, 2013 at 7:10 pm

really enjoy show please don’t cancel

SM December 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

BRING THIS SHOW BACK!

This was a fantastic show! We watch it on Netflix with our daughter, who wants to become a doctor, and like Emily Owens, is having a unique time in high school. We have great discussions after watching about how Emily handles different scenarios, and of course, about “mean girls” being jealous of Emily’s smarts, etc.

This show makes our daughter’s desired future profession seem real to her: seeing how Emily Owens thinks and acts, learning medical terminology, watching the surgeries and various procedures, the constant “learning” and thinking that is involved with being a doctor.

Most importantly, “Emily Owens MD” shows our daughter and other teens like ours that being a “late bloomer” in life pays off, and while things are tough in high school, life as a doctor (with all the joys and sorrows that come from saving lives and making a real difference in someone’s life) is worth all it takes to achieve that goal.

PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK!

Berkeley Steve December 5, 2013 at 2:48 am

Yes, it’s a smart show, intellectually and emotionally. It didn’t stoop to sleazy like Grey’s Anatomy. Hope someone picks this up.

PenPen December 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

I can’t believe they are not renewing this show! I discovered it on Netflix and fell in love with Emily’s character! I work in a hospital, these characters are closer to the real deal than most hospital shows. Come on CW, the main actress Mamie is amazing! Renew Please! Don’t leave us hanging!!

Michele December 1, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I watched the whole season this week on Netflix I can’t believe it got cancelled! There’s never a dull moment watching it & it makes you want to watch more! Who the heck make thees decisions!! Cause this is so much better then the the stuff on tv thees days!!