Eureka: Series Finale Ordered; Why Was the Show Cancelled?

Eureka canceled season sixThough Eureka remains one of Syfy’s most popular TV series, the cable channel cancelled it earlier this week. What’s even more perplexing is that Syfy announced that Eureka had been renewed for an abbreviated sixth season last week. They even issued a statement to assure viewers that they hoped to continue the show beyond that. Why was it cancelled?

Eureka executive producer Amy Berg shed some light on the move via Twitter, indicating that Syfy didn’t want to cancel the show but financially, Comcast mandated it. She said, “We are the network’s golden child in every way, except profit margins. Fact is, #Eureka is an expensive show to make. And we could not maintain the quality of our show with the cuts it would take to make us profitable for Syfy’s new parent company. Our creative execs at Syfy fought hard to keep us. Trust me, they LOVE us. We just couldn’t make the numbers work.”

The cast and crew were in the midst of filming the end of season five when the cancellation news came down. With such short notice, it seemed unlikely that they would be able to bring the show to a satisfying conclusion with such short notice.

Thankfully, Syfy has now ordered one additional episode so that, as Berg puts it, “we can end the series on our terms.” She indicated that she’s working on the series finale and it will be shot the week of the 21st.

For those keeping count, this means that there are 19 episodes of Eureka left; five more for this season and 14 for season five.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear there will be a true series finale? How would you like to see the show end?

RAY July 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Having Universal NBC being bought out by a CABLE CO does not bode well for quality programing. Get use to reality TV shows , MMA and fake wrestling .

12-21-12 cant get here soon enough!!!!!!

Marcie Gonzalez July 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

SciFi Channel has gone to the dogs with their new “programming” and axing this show is just the icing on the cake. I have no reason to watch SciFi anylong. This is just poop!

Anonymous July 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Very disappointed to here this show is being cancelled! Cut the reality crap and keep this show running.

Jim July 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Comcast is well known for killing “good television” in the in order to make a fast buck. As for EUREKA, it’s a breath of FRESH AIR to see the SyFi network having it’s best and brightest at work. Comcast execs should relize that Demand drives the industry and not stock profits. But you you really can’t expect true intelegence from a bunch of bean counters…

Please wake up before it’s too late….

George Mason July 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

This was one of the better programs that SciFi has carried. In fact, it’s the only one that I watch. Too bad for SciFi.

Tygr July 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Well – I will say this. Si-Fi is going to save me some $ now. I’m going to drop my satelite package down a notch or two since there’s no reason to watch that channel anymore. This was one show that I as a parent and my 17 year old son could watch together and both of us enjoy it. Enjoy your more ‘profitable’ shows Si-Fi.

Gen July 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Wow now that is definitely a pathetic reason to cancel this show. I will miss this show so very much. And I have been very worried that it would be ended with so many loose ends still untied. Or something else stupid like killing off another major character, or no happy ending for Carter and Allison (which I still believe is going to happen). Comcast is making more than enough money to carry this show. Its just good old Corporate greed at work. I wish another network not controlled by those goons had picked it up.

Carycomic July 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

When the series finale’ does air, I hope the writers are continuity-minded enough to remember the scene in the series premier, where Carter’s daughter saw her double (possibly future self) waving good-bye, and thereby give us the flipside!

Bill July 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

Once again the greed and ignorance of tv execs rules. Eureka is full of excellent writing and has assembled a cohesive, intellegent and viewer friendly cast that is enjoyable to all spectrums. It may not have been the big money maker but it added to make the Sci-Fi channel an enjoyable line-up to watch. Maybe they need to change thier name to Com Cast-ration. Can’t wait to see who goes next!

Kathleen July 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Comcast executives are foolish. Eureka is the absolute best T.V. show. The writers are imaginative, the stories are never boring and the cast interacts well with each other. I looked forward to watching this show. Not everyone watches reality T.V. I do hope another network picks up Eureka. I thank the writers, the producers, the cast, everyone who worked on this show. Every episode was perfect.

PMH July 9, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Another Farscape.

Gen July 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I totally agree PMH. Farscape was another great show that just got dumped. I don’t like or watch Sanctuary, Wharehouse or the more recent addition Lost Girl. I remember Strange World also which only lasted a season. It was so well written, thought provoking and well acted. Then – poof – gone!

duane July 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

I all ready miss it.

Janet July 6, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’m so disapoined. Eureka was the one show my entire family came together to watch and talk about. We have loved it thru every episode. Comcast is very narrow minded. there’s plenty of ways they could raise profits from the show. Its definately the best show on tv. Comcast acts like theyre having to carrying the show because of costs when actually Eureka is the reason people still tune in to Si-Fi. Eureka carries the network. Comcast didnt just hurt a few feelings with this decision, they have actually pissed off America. Every person I know is hating thier choice to cancel Eureka. I think they’ll quickly realize what a poor choice they made when we all stop subscribing to Comcast and Si-Fi after the last episode airs.

Kay July 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

If the TV series shows any intelligence it is cancelled. TV is only interested in playing to the base of gross, mean or shock.

Daisy July 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I agree with Pachino, they should just take the scrip/show it to another company that can see its true valuable potential, Screw Comcast, all they are good for is just to ruin good shows for us viewers. Once Eureka is gone, sci-fi is gone from my package. no more sci-fi, and all those crappy reality shows, wrestling too. Thank gawd for Netflix. Oh and comcast can go to hell. Waiting for Eureka to end soon, so i can end my subscription soon to the sci-fi lala land whatever planet they are from.

Pachino June 28, 2012 at 5:45 am

This really is a crappy reason for cancelling this show. Why not take the script/show to another company that can actually see it’s true and valuable potential? Then once Comcast what they’ve lost, they can acknowledge how seriously stupid they were for their decision.