Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition: Season Two or Cancelled?

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition canceled season twoLast week, ABC aired the final season one episode of a new reality show, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. How do the ratings measure up and will the TV series be back for season two or be cancelled?

If you haven’t seen it, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition documents the makeover of “super obese” people, those who are approximately 200 pounds overweight. Trainer Chris Powell moves into their homes to help them change their attitude, nutrition, and exercise routine. When Powell leaves, he’s set them on the right course and keeps watching their progress via updates. At the end of one year, the transformation is unveiled at a party with friends and family members.

The reality series debuted on May 30th, at the end of the regular season, to a 2.4 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 7.11 million viewers. It built out of its Bachelorette lead-in and easily won its timeslot, airing opposite a Hawaii Five-0 repeat and an original episode of already-cancelled Law & Order: LA.

The second episode of Weight Loss Edition dropped about eight percent in the demo (still respectable) and dropped nine percent the following week. Throughout the course of the eight episode run, the ratings fell as low as a 1.9 demo rating and a 5.48 million viewers. Season one ended up averaging a 2.1 in the demo and 6.02 million. Considering that its a summer series, these are respectable numbers. It’s the second-most watched ABC TV show of the summer, bested only by The Bachelorette.

ABC hasn’t announced a second season yet but, back in September, the network ordered six more installments. They ordered them before the show even premiered because each episode takes a year to shoot. With that in mind, the network will likely have six new episodes ready by late fall or early winter. ABC hasn’t indicated when they’ll air them but waiting until next spring/summer seems likely.

But, what do you think? When we first reported about Weight Loss Edition, many people reacted negatively. Do you want to see season two or would you rather see it cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

35 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Patty Wetherell says

Please keep it on…..so helpful and encouraging and the love/compassion that Chris and Heidi show to their peeps is amazing!

2. April says

It’s a major inspiration for me, I think this is the greatest show, it’s not about plastic surgery or lypo it’s about showing people that they can make a decision to change their life. Please bring more episodes.

3. Sherrie Leonard says

I love this show !! It showed me that people can do anything when they put their minds to it. Please bring it back. I like it better than the Biggest Loser.

4. Sam says

I so wanted to try out for this show, but it appears this is no longer an option. Such a great show! Wish there were a season 3! Please bring this back!!!

5. con says

please bring the show back i really enjoyed the show and the way he shows them a new way of life. it was inspiring and it gives people hope. its nice that he takes the time to work with just one individual so they feel important and that he took the interest in just him/her. again please give us a season 3!!!!!

6. Janice says

I really want to see Chris Powell back for another season. I am so inspiried by his dedication and gives me drive to exercise and weight loss.
    Please bring him back

7. says

Please bring the show back. I’m patiently waiting for the new session. Chris, his wife and people on the show are so inspiring. Chris gave a tip of exercising during commercials…it works folks. Now I don’t fast forward. This show has so much heart and health.

8. Arnetta Carter-Pinkney says

I personally enjoy the show because I too am overweight and it inspires me to exercise.

9. Lillian Lee says

I love this show! I’ve been waiting for the new season to start, what he does is so amazing, and watching people take control and change their lives is inspiring. It would be such a waste to replace it with brain rotting shows.

10. says

I just got done watching all of the episodes available on HULU.com. I’m interested in watching the next season so I do hope the show has not been cancelled. It’s quite inspirational and moving.

11. Steven Reel says

I really enjoyed this show. Very inspirational and provacative in the fight of the lost to weight americans out there. Please don’t cancel this show, many people can gain inspiration and hope from such a show as this. Season 2 will tell you the true story when the ratings come in. thanks for the great show and for your times and considerations.

12. Eva says

Please, please don’t cancel this show!!!!!!
    Even though I was on vacation during the time it aired, I recorded it and watched it when I retured. I am looking forward to season 2!!!!!!!!