Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition: New Reality TV Series Debuts in May

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss EditionABC has decided to try their own weight-loss reality show, giving fans of NBC’s popular The Biggest Loser something to watch once that show wraps for the season on May 21st. Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition will follow episodes of The Bachelorette and is being tying it into the Extreme Makeover franchise. Many are familiar with the Home Edition version (which returns April 17th) but that was actually preceded by Extreme Makeover; a more traditional makeover show which ran from 2003 until 2007.

Because the goal is for morbidly-obese participants to lose half their body weight, it takes as much as a year to shoot each makeover. With that in mind, ABC renewed the TV series for a second season of six episodes back in September.

Here’s the press release about the premiere from ABC:

EIGHT MEN AND WOMEN UNDERGO THE GREATEST TRANSFORMATION OF THEIR LIVES ON “EXTREME MAKEOVER: WEIGHT LOSS EDITION,” DEBUTING MONDAY, MAY 30 ON ABC

The Series Will Air Mondays at 10:00 p.m., Following “The Bachelorette”

In a unique, non-competitive show about weight loss — unlike anything seen on television — “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” will document the amazing makeover of eight courageous, “super obese” people who, in an unprecedented 365 days, set out to safely lose half of their body weight, ultimately revealing an amazing metamorphosis. In each of the eight one-hour episodes, the participants undergo a transformation not only of their bodies, but of who they are as individuals. “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” will premiere MONDAY, MAY 30 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Please note: “The Bachelorette” will premiere on Monday, May 23 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET), following “Dancing with the Stars,” and move to its regularly scheduled timeslot on Monday, May 30 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET).

The term “super obese” is used to define those who exceed their estimated ideal weight by approximately 225 percent and who are roughly 200 pounds or more overweight. “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” will present each participant’s journey in a stand-alone episode. Trainer and transformation specialist Chris Powell (“The 650-Pound Virgin”) will guide each of the eight participants through their transformation process by moving into their homes with their families or loved ones. By assuring that they have the proper nourishment and exercise movement, Chris will provide a fresh perspective to individuals whose lives have become unmanageable because of their weight.

From the producers of “The Biggest Loser” and “MasterChef,” “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” is executive-produced by JD Roth, Todd A. Nelson and Matt Assmus. The series is produced by 3 Ball Productions/Eyeworks USA.

What do you think? Are you interested in this new reality series?

joe October 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm

i enjoyed watching Chris transform some of the contestants. Especially the detective. i believe he weighed 419. After a couple of workouts he blew knee out, but kept going. at his final weigh in he lost the most percentage body weight.58% weighed 195 At final weigh in. I AM WAITING FOR NEW SEASON

haley October 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm

i wanna loose wieght email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im in despret times i may die!!

Catrina July 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I haven’t seen this show, but i have been looking for a show like the swan to help me since i have lost weight, at my biggest i was 240lb and now i average 160lb. I have been struggling with the excessive skin that has caused lots of health issues and needless to say i am one of the millions with out health coverage. I find myself wondering if the weight loss was worth the effort because of what i am left to face with,it still feel like i haven’t achieved anything. So if anything come up like this show( the swan) i wouldn’t mind telling my story in return for help. I’am a 40 yr old, married with 4 children plus a grandchild that i can’t hold because of the strain it put on me. I hope for someone to answer my plea. Thanks

Mer July 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I LOVE this show….keep em coming….these are definately a positive note for ANYBODY who needs to lose weight…

If you don’t like it…TURN THE CHANNEL…

yahaira diaz June 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm

hiii my name is Yahaira , im 29 years old mother of 3 , married, and i have a lot weight gain , im 5 feet tall 240 lbs and i feel bad all the time ,people sometimes make fun of me and its sad. i hav been triyng different kind of diets , no results at all , and i just keep my self in the same weel..and its not good for me ,for my health , and my personal life… my son , one day came to me and said mommy i love u , but you are a pretty chubby mom, and i want you to be thin… i just want to have the opportunity to be in front of my kids and my husband and said this is my new me… and feel good about my self and not to be scare of people making fun of my weight… iwant to achieve and by gorgeous and glamorous… thank for your time … sincerely Yahaira Diaz

Susie May 26, 2011 at 9:37 am

I for one will be watching…it is so easy for people to be so critical of others..unless if one has walked a mile in their shoes–you should not be judging. Food is like any other addiction. it is people that are closed minded that make it difficult for larger people to ASK for help–you should be ashamed of yourself and your thoughts.
I would love to become a participant for this reality series. I need help. I have lost myself in this weight in which I am at. It has been so long–I have forgotten the right things to do and how to acheive it. I would so love to hear from the network.
Sincerely, Susie

Mer July 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm

AMEN SUSIE….I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!

shelia May 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm

i am 53 years old, i have tried so many diets, i even got the bean, and the tapes sweating with the oldies, but no matter how much i tried i keep getting fat, i am right now about 325, i want to lose the weight but just not sure how, i even eat less portions, so i would really love to know what to do.

Kelley June 27, 2012 at 6:10 am

Hey Shelia, I was touched by your comment and would like to let you know that there are people who care. I represent Beach Body .com. I am not sure if you have heard of us but we are all about losing weight THE HEALTHY WAY. I personally use alot of our products and would love to talk to you about it. pls message me.

Lisa May 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I am 44 years old and I weigh about 440 pounds. I have sucessfuly diet my way up to this weight. I work about 60 hours a week and I spend my evening eating everything in sight. I would like to loose weight, but I am not sure how to eat right. There are so many diets out there and I think I have tried them all. There is not one that allows you to eat normal food, but still loose weight. Might you have the answer. I ordered the STAX lunch box, but now I am not sure what to put in it. Yes, I can put raw vegetables and fruit in it, but what else do I eat? Also, I would like for you to know that I would be very interested in being on the show. I think that if someone could just teach me the proper way to do things, it would help. If I can’t be on the show, can you just have the guy write me back and tell me what I should be eating and how much. I don’t like to ask for help, but I feel that my life might be coming to it’s end, and that saddens me because it is preventable. I have a 26 yr. old daughter and a 19 yr old son and I would really like to meet my grandchildren when they get to this beautiful planet. I don’t want them to just know me through pictures. Please help me if you can. Dont let this be just another e-mail that you read and then delete. If it even gets read. I hope so.

Lisa

emma April 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

i am a fat girl and i need hepl from you to loss weight ,i have take many ways to loss weight ,but :(

Cheryl April 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I have met and seen these people and met Chris this is a very dedicated group of people. you know sometimes obese people just need that person to help them and give them the courage and the push to do what they have to do. It’s not that they can’t see a doctor also, they can but the companonship of that trainer, and the self esteem they give you can give you all the things you need to keep going cause sometimes you don’t get it from family and friends

Mer July 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

WAY TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS….

You’re so lucky to have met all of them….i admire what you had to say!!!!

Christina March 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

I for one will not be watching this show. This is disgusting! Losing weight is one thing, but if you are that obese, you need to see a doctor, not a reality tv show.

wendy March 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Well Christina,you have the right to your opinion,but did you think that some people are desperate to lose the weight and would give anthing to be just as thin as i think you are.Oh by the way,turn your television off if you don’t want to watch.I will support them all the way because at least they are trying to make a change in there lives so people like you that have nothing else to do but try to bring a person down by doing what they are doing .Help them by your support and cheer them on.There are so many things that you can shred like paper other than peolpe,Thankyou!!!!

Christina March 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Wendy,

I completely agree that it is important to support people with weight loss, but that is not something that should be done on a reality show. I am not thin either, I am almost 200 lbs and only 5 ft tall.

I will have my television off during that show as I said, I will not watch that show. I don’t watch the Biggest Loser either. It has been proven too many times that even after doing shows like that majority of the people put the weight back on. I had lyposculpture done a few years ago and put all the weight back on that I lost. There is more that needs to happen besides working out to change the behavior with weight. I have struggled with my weight for years.

I am not trying to bring anyone down. I just don’t feel that in situations like this, it should be on national television. People who are severely obese need to be handled with care by a doctor.

tiffany June 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

hello, i’m a 31 year old female who’s 100 lbs over weight an i would like to healthy for myself and my kids , i feel as though i can do it with the right help. Please help me ! I don’t want to take any pills or have any surgerys, i’m not knocking anyone whop does these things but i want to be able to maintain my healhty lifestyle and i want to look in the mirrow an know that i did it! So please e-mail me or anything with some kind of advice. I thank you in advance. Tiffany!

LYNETTE FRANKLIN March 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I WOULD LOVE TO BE ON A REALITY SHOW TO LOSE WEIGHT .IF U NEED SOMEONE PLEASE FILL FREE TO CALL LYNETTE @ 216-271-0
545 ALS0 MY WEIGHT IS 300 POUNDS