Flashpoint: TV Series Renewed for Season Five in Canada

Flashpoint season fiveThe future of Flashpoint on CBS is still up in the air but Canadian viewers definitely have more episodes of the cop drama in their future.

Flashpoint is produced in Canada and CBS has licensed episodes since 2008 and used the show mostly as an off-season utility player. Last summer, CBS aired most of the episodes from season three but still had six installments left on the shelf. In January, the decision was made to license seven more episodes, combine them with the leftover six and run them as season four. They began airing in early May.

That left 11 episodes of the cop drama that weren’t being licensed by CBS. They are on track to be aired in Canada this summer.

CTV has now ordered a fifth season of 18 episodes. Flashpoint is the most-watched Canadian drama and has averaged more than 1.5 million viewers (an impressive number by Canadian TV standards). The new order will bring the series’ episode total to 80 installments, making it the longest-running original scripted series currently on Canadian television.

There’s been no word on whether CBS will license any more episodes or not but the ratings certainly haven’t been impressive. Thus far this season, Flashpoint’s been averaging just a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.42 million total viewers. Per the early numbers, last night’s installment tied a repeat of Shark Tank in the demo.

On the other hand, the show doesn’t cost the network as much as producing their own scripted dramas.

Once the new episodes are filmed and completed, there will be 29 episodes that CBS hasn’t licensed. We’ll have to wait to see when or if American audiences will get a chance to see them.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Flashpoint has been renewed? Should CBS license more episodes?

Canceled and renewed TV show

429 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Holly Fredericks says

Please renew Flashpoint…It is my favorate show…The cast is awesome…I’m sick of the junk that is put on tv today…Please let it be back on soon…My DVR is filled with old episodes…I need to see NEW ones.

2. Bobbie says

YES CBS should license more episodes. Flashpoint is a very addictive show. An earlier time slot would be great. The interaction of the Flashpoint team is so amazing to watch, it’s almost like they are one. I have never enjoyed a TV show like Flashpoint & it would be very disappointing if it wasn’t renewed.

3. Lora b says

Please please renew in the US CBS. This is a great show and we love the show. I know your numbers of watchers are incorrect! I know so many people that love this show. How could you not renew!!!!! So upset!

4. says

yes Keep this program coming, one of the best on tv!!! the chemistry between the team members is great! the acting is top notch.

5. kt says

yes renew this show one of the best on tv we neeed more likt this. the chemistry between all the team is one of the best ever!!! Keep up the great work.

6. linda says

this is one of those shows that comes along and blows you away. i am so hooked. CBS please, please, please, keep this show going! there are too many people in the reviews I’ve read that love this show! yahoo for those cops in blue!

7. annie says

This show is right up their with NCIS. You should renew it. Great family show. USA needs more shows like this. Great TV

8. annie says

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RENEW! It is a great family show. I watch it 3 times a week. If its on I watch. Great stories. Please renew. keep it going in the USA thanks

9. Catherine says

Yes, I think CBS should renew more episodes of Flashpoint. Flashpoint is a great tv series and I have watched it since episode one. I would love to see more Flashpoint.

10. Ashley says

PLEASE RENEW!!!! I want a season 6 and more!!! My family and I sit and watch this TV together!! We just love it and so look forward to watching it together. We don’t like many police shows but this show is the greatest!!! PLEASE RENEW!!!!! Keep going with it in the USA!!!!