Friday Night Lights: TV Show Returns to NBC; Already Cancelled?

friday night lights canceledAfter more than a year away from network television, Friday Night Lights is back on NBC with season four. But, how long will it last? The acclaimed TV show’s always been ratings-challenged. Has it already been cancelled?

Friday Night Lights (FNL) revolves around a high school football team, its players and the surrounding community. The large ensemble cast boasts performers like Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, Zach Gilford, Minka Kelly, Taylor Kitsch, Adrianne Palicki, Jesse Plemons, Aimee Teegarden, Gaius Charles, Blue Deckert, Scott Porter, Derek Phillips, Brad Leland, Liz Mikel, Stacey Oristano, Nieko Mann, Kate Krause, Kevin Rankin, Louanne Stephens, Josh McVaney, Pablo D. Flores, Katherine Willis, Joey Truty, and Jeremy Sumpter.

After struggling through two seasons on NBC, it looked like FNL was doomed to become one of those “brilliant but cancelled” series that has their life cut short. Fortunately, NBC and DirecTV went into business together and agreed to share the production costs. Under the agreement, DirecTV gets to air the episodes first. This sometimes frustrates NBC viewers but it’s better than the show not being produced at all.

Should FNL get a sixth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After season three, it looked like FNL might be cancelled once again. Surprisingly, DirecTV and NBC renewed the show for two seasons, albeit with only 13 episodes apiece. There was speculation that this would translate into season five being the end for FNL.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Various sources have reported that season five will be the end for FNL. The actors and crew have also been informed that they’re free to find other work once production shuts down in June.

TV show supportBoth NBC and executive producer Jason Katims insist that nothing is official but it’s obvious that the writing’s on the wall — unless of course the episodes bring great ratings for NBC. After three seasons of disappointing numbers, nobody’s expecting that to happen.

Katims is hopeful that FNL will get a sixth season but said, “If it winds up being the final season of the show, then I will feel very, very lucky and grateful that we were able to do as many episodes of a show that is so dear to my heart.”

Fortunately for NBC viewers, they still have 26 episodes of the series ahead of them. And, since the fifth season is still being produced, the cast and crew should have no trouble coming up with a fitting way to end the series. DirecTV is expected to start airing season five in Fall 2010.

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to end Friday Night Lights or should it continue for a sixth season?

connie w. July 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm

One of the best shows on T.V. at this time. The acting is fantastic and the writers are great. I will really miss this show it was so real, the ending was the best ever. I loved how they showed us where everyone ended up and it was good for all of them. Please bring it back if possible. We need more programs like this one.

tim July 16, 2011 at 10:07 am

u guys r fuckin crazy if u cancel the show I hate tv but i watch fnl if u cancel ima be pissed yall should make ten seasons

al4472 July 16, 2011 at 3:54 am

What a great ending to a wonderful series. Sorry to see it go. Would have loved to have it on each and every Friday night.

Just goes to show you that the network is in it only for the money.

Lea S July 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Well I just watched the final episode of Friday Night Lights & am very, very sad. We have been watching since day one of the show, when it went to Direct TV & back again. We couldn’t believe they cancelled it once again. What is wrong with NBC, they have a good feel good show, one that teaches morals, & life lessons but they opt to give in for the money. It seems there are a lot of fans of FNL, but apparantely we don’t count, money wins, like in every other aspect of the American persona. Shame on you NBC. Maybe you’ll come to your senses.

marshelle britt July 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm

please bring back this show!!!

Tory Smith July 10, 2011 at 6:52 am

This is a great show, but it seems that all the good shows get cancelled and the bad shows stay on, like the adult cartoon shows.

dh July 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Best series I have ever watched.

ronnie July 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

I also love the show,they are all great actors, the story line is so real and believable. One of the best shows on TV . One more season a least. They have a good story line going!

Danny July 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This is the best show they should not cancel it it is a mistake I wish there was a way to keep it going I will really missy favorite show

Cindy July 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I love this show please don’t cancel it. Its one of the best shows on TV. I hope they can bring it back. I love all the actors on the show, Tim Riggins is my favorite.

joe July 7, 2011 at 8:15 am

please dont take it off the air i am a high school football coach and it is the best show i have ever seen

Madeline July 6, 2011 at 7:56 am

I can’t believe the show is being cancelled!!! It is the best show ever…I have learned a lot from all of the situations portrayed on the show…I cry on each and every episode, the emotions are so real, the acting is amazing!!! This show should go on for a few more years, and I really hope they bring it back!!! Love you Dillon, TX!

Charlize July 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW. I look forward to watching it every week . I am a TEXAN and this show brings back so many wonderful memories. It is so true to life in all aspects of a small Texas town. This show has so many good qualities and captures life lessons. I will be devastated if this show is cancelled. There are so many other televised series that seem like they should be cancelled because they serve no purpose. Please don’t cancel.

Debra Gray July 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Yes, end it with a storyline that will bring it back. It has absolutely been My favorite show since it’s inception. I have never writtren to a program before. I am a 58 yr. old woman and probably not the demographic for this show and I love it. The actors, the writing, the storyline are such that I am taken away and each episode I am never wanting it to end. Please don’t emd this program. Whose idea is it anyway. I have always had the ability to judge a hit from the getgo and I wasn’t wrong with this one. What are you think’in boys. If it is the actors wanting out, they are foolish, they will never get this ensemble again. I tend to think it’s the suits. You tell me………………….
t w