Friday Night Lights: TV Show Returns to NBC; Already Cancelled?

friday night lights canceledAfter more than a year away from network television, Friday Night Lights is back on NBC with season four. But, how long will it last? The acclaimed TV show’s always been ratings-challenged. Has it already been cancelled?

Friday Night Lights (FNL) revolves around a high school football team, its players and the surrounding community. The large ensemble cast boasts performers like Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, Zach Gilford, Minka Kelly, Taylor Kitsch, Adrianne Palicki, Jesse Plemons, Aimee Teegarden, Gaius Charles, Blue Deckert, Scott Porter, Derek Phillips, Brad Leland, Liz Mikel, Stacey Oristano, Nieko Mann, Kate Krause, Kevin Rankin, Louanne Stephens, Josh McVaney, Pablo D. Flores, Katherine Willis, Joey Truty, and Jeremy Sumpter.

After struggling through two seasons on NBC, it looked like FNL was doomed to become one of those “brilliant but cancelled” series that has their life cut short. Fortunately, NBC and DirecTV went into business together and agreed to share the production costs. Under the agreement, DirecTV gets to air the episodes first. This sometimes frustrates NBC viewers but it’s better than the show not being produced at all.

Should FNL get a sixth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After season three, it looked like FNL might be cancelled once again. Surprisingly, DirecTV and NBC renewed the show for two seasons, albeit with only 13 episodes apiece. There was speculation that this would translate into season five being the end for FNL.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Various sources have reported that season five will be the end for FNL. The actors and crew have also been informed that they’re free to find other work once production shuts down in June.

TV show supportBoth NBC and executive producer Jason Katims insist that nothing is official but it’s obvious that the writing’s on the wall — unless of course the episodes bring great ratings for NBC. After three seasons of disappointing numbers, nobody’s expecting that to happen.

Katims is hopeful that FNL will get a sixth season but said, “If it winds up being the final season of the show, then I will feel very, very lucky and grateful that we were able to do as many episodes of a show that is so dear to my heart.”

Fortunately for NBC viewers, they still have 26 episodes of the series ahead of them. And, since the fifth season is still being produced, the cast and crew should have no trouble coming up with a fitting way to end the series. DirecTV is expected to start airing season five in Fall 2010.

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to end Friday Night Lights or should it continue for a sixth season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

132 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Allen Wilder says

This show was more than just football. This show taught kids how to deal with real life problems and how to deal with them. This show needs to be brought back. Most shows now are just not real T.V. Please consider putting this program back on. Thanks

2. Crystal says

Unfortunately, I never watched this show when it was on NBC, but my hubby and I stumbled upon it on Netflix and I am SO incredibly sad there are only 5 seasons :( This is such a great show, better than most the shows out there. Come back!

3. no one says

honestly, i just started watching the show on netflix and i instantly fell in love with it. It is a huge disappointment that they canceled the show, I wish they hadn’t

4. shelby says

that show has helped me raise my daughter… she’s the same age as julie (the character). I looked forward to it EVERY week.. I am sure going to miss it.. I am very very sad :(

5. LFX says

So sorry this show was canceled. It was never very well promoted though. I didn’t even know about it the entire time it was on. Just discovered it over the summer on Netflix streaming. It is easily the best show on television. I am so sorry I didn’t discover it sooner. I bet there are a lot of people like me who would have watched if we knew it was there.

6. Keith says

from a 64 year old former Marine . not much on TV to watch now days. why in the hell would thay take a show of this caliber off ! what a sad state our TV shows have become. who in the hell is running our TV shows a bunch of panty wastes. will miss FNL for sure. pretty soon be canceling monday night football and replace it with the bachelorette .

7. Audrey says

I agree with many. It is one of the best shows on. How do they get these ratings…everyone
    I know loves this show and no one has asked our opinion. It’s refreshing to have a show that doesn’t take place in a morgue or courtroom..Please how many whodunit shows can
    one watch.. FNL is different, acting is terrific…We want MORE!!!!

8. elly says

i can’t believe this is the end and i was diappointed in the ending
    closure was shown for each of the characters, but so much more could have been written
    this outstanding show was not advertised as it should have been. Football was a small part of the issues delt with each episode. Eric was fantastic with his facial expressions and he was firm on respect and discipline issues. The show had positive and negative points in each characters life and i am sure the viewers could relate. You could still bring it back~!!

9. Leanna says

I love Friday Night Lights! So sad to see it cancelled. One of the best shows around. They ended it but left it so they could write it to continue on.

10. Tom says

this is the biggest disappointment nbc could of made.best show ever.poor ratings were probably due to when it was being shown.most people who liked or would of liked this show were probably out on friday nights doing other things.probably a more mobile fan base that would watch a show as fnl than the ones who would stay at home more to watch tv like dramas and romantic shows.more advertising could have been done also.does the ratings show all the fans who werent home but dvr’d it everyweek to watch it when they could?bring the best show nbc had back!

11. BBH says

Best show I have ever seen on network television. Cant believe they cancelled it. Pissed off when i realized that was it. great ending though, the writers and actors did a great job wrapping it up. I would like it to come back though.

12. Christina says

I was sooo disappointed to see FNL end this season. I guess I didn’t realize it was the last show. I had to do a double take when I saw SERIES FINALE on the info. I thought it said SEASON FINALE. I was wrong. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!

13. J. Benckendorf says

Dumbest move by NBC ever! This was the only show I watched on NBC! Now I will stick to CBS and ABC. They have way better comedy shows! I loved FNL, and felt like I was part of the Taylor family! I have all 5 seasons on dvd. This show helped my wife like football! I was truly sad last night after the show ended. NBC executives need to rethink this one! They have retained the dumbest shows, and let their saving grace go by the wayside! Idiots!