Gravity: Starz Cancels TV Series; No Season Two

GravityPay-for-view channel Starz has announced that Gravity won’t be back for a second year. The show completed its run last week after just 10 episodes.

Gravity is a dramatic comedy that follows a group from an eccentric out-patient program for suicide survivors. Co-created by Eric Schaeffer and Jill Franklyn, the cast includes Schaeffer, Ivan Sergei, James Martinez, Krysten Ritter, Rachel Hunter, Robyn Cohen, Seth Numrich, and Ving Rhames.

Starz had high hopes for the series but it just never caught on. The season (now series) finale attracted an invisible 0.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 54,000 viewers. To no surprise, Starz has admitted that neither Gravity nor Party Down will be returning for another round.

In a statement, Stephan Shelanski, Starz’ executive VP of programming, said, “After careful consideration, we’ve decided not to continue on with subsequent seasons of Party Down and Gravity. We’re grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup.”

What do you think? Did you watch Gravity? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

222 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Miguelito Sanchez says

What a stellar achievement this was in ten short episodes. Makes you miss nearly every character like an old friend. So gut-wrenching to leave them on such a cliffhanger.

2. Dr. Richard says

As a USN Flight Surgeon and Aerospace Specialist, I found the “Cancellation” to ONCE AGAIN reflect the freshman/no-brainer attitude that, like a rampant cancerous growth, has infected/ruined our television today!
    Here’s an eye opener studio execs, hire some staff with graduate level backround for “Grown up TV” …and send the “Mario’s brother’s” kids back down to the basement along with their Red Bull machine!
    You & the Ratings counters are sending TV back to the days of “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”

3. Kelley says

I absolutely loved Gravity! I watched it on Netflix and soooooo disappointed that there is no season 2, why? Such interesting characters and laugh out loud funny, it should have been sold to Showtime, it would have been a huge hit.

4. Randomperson says

I found this on netflix after it was canceled, as well. I loved it. I’ve lived through some of the harder things in life, and have contemplated suicide. This show addressed a lot of things that people should be exposed to, and it did so beautifully, not as the main component, just like real life.

The ending was abrupt and sucked majorly. I know it wasn’t meant as an and, but.. even one show to hurriedly finish it up would have been better then *nothing*

It’s a crying shame it came on a pay-for-view channel, or it very likely would still be on, because more people would have been able to see it, or even know what they were missing (and let’s be serious.. the numerous sex scenes and nudity were completely unnecessary, and detracted from the show itself in a huge way) it certainly deserves to still be on..

Starz, you made a mistake. A big one. (although the bigger mistake is charging people for the channel and still expecting a lot of people to watch it… of course you’ll get low viewership, duhh…)

5. Mara says

This was by far, one of the best shows I’ve ever watched. I just learned about it a few days ago and was hooked! The storyline, the characters, the setting, all brilliant! What genius came up with this? I was intrigued by each of the characters and their stories. Finally!! a show that portrays how most of us really feel as a society; our needs, wants, and our fears without “sugar-coating” it all. I laughed, cried, and even took a minute to recap on my own life! They’ve gotta bring this show back. It didnt have enough ratings due to its poor publicity, but most people didn’t even know about it till after it was cancelled. I happened to stumble upon it on Netflix and watched all 10 episodes in two days. I’m not a tv person because everything on tv is so cliche and so predictable; Yet, I must say, this was different!

6. Laura says

I had no idea this show was on until I found it on Netflix. I loved it! Great storyline & I am left wondering how it would have turned out-sad Starz cancelled it.

7. Rubi says

Must have a second season !! There is no reason why there shouldnt be a second season when so many people arent satified with the ending .

8. Cindy says

I liked it. Found it intriguing and hate it ended without finishing. I so no advertising for this series, probably would have done better if there were more ads. I found it on huluplus and watched it.

9. MARCVS SOCALICVS says

Pearls before swine. The show was witty, funny, quirky and simply grand. Too bad it can’t live on. I felt the same way about Pushing Daisies. Another creatively wonderful show. Art/Money? Art/Money? Oh yeah, the answer is always $$$$$$

10. Mikila says

I love this show! I just finished the first, and stupidly, only season of it on Netflix. I caught on to this show fast and was disappointed after I realized there were only 10 episodes, especially after that ending! Grrrr.. Why did they have to make such a stupid decision to end the show.?!

11. Anonymous says

Just saw it on Netflix! Loved it. I had to watch the entire season in one night. Very disappointed with the final episode. No conclusion! How sad!

12. julie says

What a screw up… someone clearly missed the boat with this bad decision. I’d never heard of the show until it was offered up as something I’d like by Netflix (because of how much I loved British Comedies like Black Books and American ones like 6 feet under) and BOY I LOVED IT. Yea, it’s dark but not so dark as to be a downer. Several of the characters are fascinating and clearly warranted their own episodes or spin off series in the future. If you find it now, be warned, the ‘finale’ was not meant to be a finale and as such leaves you feeling grossly dissatisfied because of unresolved threads the size of power lines.

Still, Lily is such a fabulous person. I think she transformed a bit too quickly from the stunted lonely gal she was in the first episode to the confident, bubbly and confident creature she was at the end of the 10 episodes. Then again, if there were only going to be 10 episodes, I’m glad I got to see her transform.

Yep, I’d be buying the DVDs for the entire series if there was an entire series. This was definitely in a position to be adored by loads of people… it lacked marketing.

13. tokenadult says

Bring it back!
    Although I agree that I kept wondering why Miller was there, there was, I think, an unintended bonus to his presence. He was a guy that most of these people in their former lives (with the exception of Diego) would never have spoken to. I thought he kinda represented the starting over and giving new things (and sometimes really weird people) a shot that you never would have before.
    It needed a second season. It would have been a sleeper and the dvd sales and rentals would have paid it off.