Happy Town: Cancelled by ABC, No Season Two

Happy TownLast week, ABC pulled Happy Town from the schedule for the remainder of May sweeps period. Though things didn’t look good for the mystery TV show, the network didn’t officially cancel it. Now they have.

Happy Town follows the residents of a small town in Minnesota who are terrorized by a killing spree from the mysterious “Magic Man”. The cast includes Sam Neill, M.C. Gainey, Geoff Stults, Lauren German, Amy Acker, Steven Weber, Ben Schnetzer, Sarah Gadon, Jay Paulson, and Robert Wisdom.

On April 28th, the show got off to a bad start with a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 5.25 million viewers. For episode two, viewership took a nosedive to a 1.2 in the demo and 3.79 million viewers. ABC announced they were putting the TV series on hiatus and the third episode’s numbers dropped further still, to a 1.1 rating and 3.04 million viewers.

This week, ABC announced the new 2010-11 schedule and, not surprisingly, Happy Town wasn’t on it. The show has now been cancelled though the network still plans to run the remaining five episodes. They’ll start airing on June 2nd.

What do you think? Are you surprised that Happy Town has been cancelled? Will you still tune in to see the remaining episodes?

P-momma-J May 20, 2012 at 6:34 am

BRING IT BACK…….. i want to see season 2 BRING IT BACK.

messi February 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I discovered this show via hulu.com. Great show! ABC pls step up the quality and bring it back. You owe us season 2.

Preplexed February 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

The reason the ratings were so low was becuase they did not spend the money properly to advertise the show through the proper channels to reach the correct audience. I did not even know this show existed until I came across it on Hulu. Now that it has taken off on unofficial websites, it just as great as the other Stephen King series, Haven. I would rather watch this show (even though its in my favorits list) than any of those anoying game shows. I agree with the pp, on giving the show more time to take. Cheers,Frasior, Roseanne, Simpsons, Family Guy.. All of these shows had Mulitpule season with different generations watching. And the comonality was it took different eppisodes to get hooked. Maybe a different network could take up season 2. I vote CBS! Whose with me?

Mario November 28, 2011 at 11:45 am

Happy Town is a great series, I’m sorry to hear it was cancelled.

Lou September 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

Please make series 2.
I’m demented wondering who, why what where?

Allan August 11, 2011 at 7:55 am

Happytown was an intelligent series and very well made, however most shows of this type have mid to low ratings with the demographics that TV uses to rate viewer response. Which IMHO is unfair to this genre or TV. V barely made a “good rating” standard as TV networks define ratings, but it is coming back? Too bad I think a second season of Happytown would have brought in more vieweres.

Pissed August 8, 2011 at 8:06 am

Fuck you ABC! This was a great show. I hope YOU get cancelled.

Trish August 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

First “The Gates” now “Happy Town”… that sux! I really enjoyed both shows.

mitlarc June 23, 2011 at 10:52 am

ABC you suck, an awesome show like happy town you discontinue, but season after season you bring back silly programing, teeny bopper bullshit.
The executives in charge at ABC should be made to sit through the horseshit they do air……oh and pay for it like we have to.

ABC = A cow pissing on a flat rock….. makes a lot of noise but not pleasant to look at.

messi February 13, 2012 at 8:04 pm

One of the best shows I have seen in a long time and ABC mucks it up. You are right on mitlarc! I am peeved at ABC.

laura June 15, 2011 at 12:26 am

yo that is some serious shit I want to know who the fuck the magic man is and what happened to the 5 missing episodes bastards

Brooke June 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Both my husband loved the T.V. show. I’m upset they canceled it!

Michelle Pinney June 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm

BRING IT BACK !!!

emma May 15, 2011 at 4:10 am

Great tv show!!!!!!!

Anonymous May 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm

It was a great Tv show..!

Jadedvixen May 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

Bring it back!!! How could a show as good as this be rated so badly?!? I’m shocked. I really don’t think the network gave it enough time to take off. I am hoping for a second season, but man it doesn’t look good. The show was mysterious, the actors were good, the plot was incredible, and I am furious. Thanks a lot…