How I Met Your Mother: CBS Sitcom to End After Eight Seasons?

How I Met Your MotherNot since Friends has there been a more tightly-knit group of sitcom characters than those on How I Met Your Mother. It’s hard to imagine what the show would be without Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Jason Segel, Josh Radnor, or Neil Patrick Harris.

Well, we might find out in a few years. In a recent interview with GQ, Segel noted that he has three years left on his How I Met Your Mother contract. The actor/director/writer intends to leave the sitcom when that time comes.

He said, “It’s an amazing place to be. But when you become an actor, part of it, the secret part of it, is that you don’t want to work a regular nine-to-five job. And the secret part of a TV show is that it’s a nine-to-five job. And eight years is longer than any relationship I’ve ever been in, it’s longer than any school I went to. I think after eight years, I’ll feel like I honorably did my commitment.”

Should Mother continue without the whole cast?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Segel continued, “It’s funny — it’s the greatest problem in the world to have. Jeez — I’m the luckiest guy in the world. But when your idol is Peter Sellers, playing one character for eight years isn’t what you’re trying to do. I don’t really feel like I have that much more to offer with this character. Maybe if we got divorced or something — but that’s not gonna happen. It’s gonna be some iteration of, like, my TV wife opens the fridge, and she’s like, ‘What happened to the birthday cake?’ And I walk in with a little frosting here [points to corner of mouth] like, ‘What birthday cake?’”

CBS, 20th Century Fox TV, and the show’s producers haven’t commented on Segel’s intention to leave but he’s probably not the only one. The other actors’ contracts also expire at the end of season eight. The fivesome signed a new contract in 2009 that brought their per-episode salaries to $90,000-$120,000 retroactively and extended their commitment to eight seasons.

The higher-ups could be planning on ending How I Met Your Mother after eight seasons or they could opt to continue on with as many original castmembers as they can get and/or afford.

What do you think? Should the sitcom continue without the core cast intact? Does season eight sound like a good place to end it?

klj69 June 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm

i think that how i met your mother is an amazing show! but as much as i love it i think that letting it end at the end of the eight season is a good idea because its been going for so long and everyone just wants to know who the mother is but i also think it should tell u what happend with everyone else no matther what i know itll end as awesomely as it started and it will be LEGENDARY. oh and by the way i LOVE marshal erikson he is by far my all time favorite charachter

Anonymous June 25, 2011 at 12:52 am

I think the show should go on till the ninth season with the original cast, i love this show my sister thinks this too

Vincent gerrard June 23, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yeah himym has been one hell of a show, probably the best of all times but everything that has a beginning has an end(as barney says- new is always better). Yes we are going to miss every single moment of himym – because its not just a tv show – its a part of who we are or who we want to be or how we spent our twenties and thirties. Maybe this is the perfect life that everybody wants to feel – friends, love, careers, experiences that teach you whole new things and much more. Maybe this is why the show was a huge success. Well if they want to end the show after season 8, then let it be. But we will never forget himym. We love you ted, robin, barney, lily and marshall. No matter happens you’ll always be a part of our life :)

DDitlevsen June 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I could totally see the series taking a different turn after season 8. Yes the cast, Segel and maybe the others. Will quit the show and see towards new things… But! With Bob Saget as the FUTURE Ted ! What if they made a show about that.. Future Ted acted by Saget! Could be EPIC, to say the least… But in all fairness, it would be wierd and seem pointless to continue on. Although i love the show, best ive seen in a LOOONG time! Its probably about time to end it.

jonathan gilsdorf June 19, 2011 at 12:32 am

tell us and show us who the mother is but don’t tie it up just yet put her in the story talk about ted and her life together make some twists act like they break up they see different people and then love will bring them back together also what happens to some of the other people tie up some of the loose everyone loves a good twist.

Nils aka Denmark June 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Marshall Eriksen (Jason Segel). For the love of “How I Met Your Mother” and all of us fans all a round the world, I belive, think and hope/ dare you to make another season :)

You all are born for this show! And all of you have done an amazing job – Which by the way ROCKS so much more, that even Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc can’t catch up!

And please don’t come up in a few years, if you decide to make a movie based on “HIMYM”.

I’m sorry to say it bro – But all of you who’s part of the “HIMYM” show truly rocking the boat right now!

Friendliest advice

Nils Pedersen
Denmark

Felicia June 16, 2011 at 7:10 am

I think it’s about time to wrap it up. It’s been hell of a show, but I don’t think that the characters have much more to give.

Smily May 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

As long as Neil Patrick Harris in on the show, I actually don’t care about anything else (okay, maybe i would) but he is my very favorite character. They should make a spin-off with him :-)

dims92 May 17, 2011 at 6:56 am

I think season 8 is a great place to end, after all these episodes of how i met your mother and after probaly 48 more i think its time to end and see the end of the story. To bring a new cast to the series would only pull away the viewers and no one will ever find out what has happend to ted and his story. Season 8 is the place to end it, its a great show and definatly my favourit, but its always good when something ends

Dave May 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I have to say that there are not many shows that I follow in such a way that I do this. The characters feel so real to me as if I was to live out their lives. Every twist and turn and funny moment are legen…….wait for it……dary! I only found this show a short while ago but I can say its one of my favorites. Without a doubt I can’t say season 7 or season 8, it doesn’t matter when it ends to me. I have enjoyed the stories and the experiences that I had with this show. Somehow I look upon this as if it should be my life (two kids at a young age looking at a group of friends living out their lives in a big city) should have been. Not many people in this generation would know what the show “friends” is but its like a leap forward to my generation. To connect with such characters in an emotional level is great. To go through the happiness and the hardships is just what I look for in a show. No matter which way this show comes to an end I will be happy to know I had a chance the experience great writing and great actin on everyone’s part. Long live “himym”!

Sabine April 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

i totally love that show, but i think everything has to end at some point. we don’t want it to get all lame, do we? there are always new shows coming up, and i’m sure, himym won’t be the last good one. (even though i really fell in love with all of the characters, but this is what dvd’s are for :D)

Anonymous April 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm

they should just end it now… like it’s been going on too long as it is… if Ted’s wife is dead that is the saddest twist I’ve ever heard of… what about if they were test-tube babies?

Pedro Reyes April 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

It should not cancel! We are near going dry on good sitcoms and they cant just call it a quits! Its not fair and they still have so many good things to offer! Come on Segel!

LadyRoci March 30, 2011 at 3:34 am

I think they should finish it in season 8, it’s starting to get tiring so much talking about the mother without never ever see her and it would not be the same without the whole cast.

TheBlitz March 16, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I know exactly how it ends. Teds wife is dead and that’s why he’s telling the kids the story. I bet we never even get to see her!

Theodor May 10, 2011 at 4:09 am

Dude Get a Life……
How Can u possibly imagine the show to end in such an awkward way…….

Dave May 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Why would you tell this person to get a life simply cause u don’t like his view on what may happen. I, honestly, think that it would be an amazing twist to the storyline. But to shoot someone’s idea down is just selfish and just askward as you claim……don’t be an ass and open your mind to different possibilities!

Ross May 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm