Mad Love: CBS Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Mad Love canceled season twoThere was an instant attraction between Ben Parr and Kate Swanson on the new CBS sitcom, Mad Love. Unfortunately, not enough viewers fell in love with the show and it’s now been cancelled after one season.

Mad Love revolves around four young New Yorkers. Two are falling in love with one another while the other two can’t stand each other — at least in the beginning. Ben (Jason Biggs) is a hopeless romantic and an attorney who’s trying to build a relationship with Kate (Sarah Chalke), the girl of his dreams. Larry (Tyler Labine) is Ben’s best friend and co-worker. He and Kate’s roommate, Connie (Judy Greer), don’t like each other but they have a lot more in common that either will admit.

The sitcom debuted on Valentines Day appropriately enough to a 3.0 rating in the ever-important 18-49 demographic and 8.74 million viewers. That was a positive start and seemed to be very compatible with its lead-in, How I Met Your Mother.

Should Mad Love have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, the show’s ratings started declining immediately. Last week’s episode fell to a series low with a 1.9 rating in the demographic and 5.11 million viewers. That was a loss of 27% from the lead-in demo and viewership levels are naturally higher at 8:30 than they are at 8:00.

The 12 episodes of Mad Love that have aired so far have averaged a 2.3 in the demo and 6.49 million viewers. CBS obviously feels that a sitcom in that timeslot should perform better so they’ve cancelled Mad Love.

TV show supportTwo other freshman shows, $#*! My Dad Says and The Defenders were also cancelled today.

The de facto series finale of Mad Love will air tomorrow night at 8:30pm. Sadly it doesn’t look like we’ll find out how the love story would have finished.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Mad Love isn’t being renewed for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our CBS cancel/renew page.

Tony Donovan January 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Just finished Season 1 and I can’t believe there is no Season 2 in the pipeline !!!
The show just got better and better with every episode and the way it finished is just cruel to the viewer and left us all wanting more…

Come on CBS ! Pull your fingers out of your a** and get Season 2 sorted

Anonymous September 9, 2013 at 5:18 pm

the show was for clever viewers

Andon Mironov May 29, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I just found out about the show. I watched it and loved it. It is so awesome, so fresh and funny.
I will never understand americans for not supporting Mad Love and The War At Home! I miss those shows so much and I just finished the last Mad Love episode.

noooo! April 4, 2013 at 6:05 am

please get it back for another season !!!!

victor March 23, 2013 at 5:46 am

i love this show =(

Jonas January 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Mad Love, first season was awesome.. ive waited for the second and just found out they cancelled the show. Cant understand why, it was so funny etc.. I loved the first season and cant understand why people are so stupid…

Trsa January 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm

It’s really really bad idea. I hope that they think about it.

cawia July 31, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This was the silliest idea they could ever had.

Molly June 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Aaaargh

BeauSprite June 1, 2012 at 11:52 am

I think it’s a shame a nice show like this was cancelled

ffuck May 2, 2012 at 7:09 am

that was one of the greatest shows ever !!!

JJ February 16, 2012 at 11:24 pm

O man what a way to cancel a show, I mean this was worse when My Wife and Kids was cancelled with a 40 something year old women pregnant. Such a shame, hope they don’t cancel How I Met Your Mother, Two and a half Man, and Rules of Engagement like this.

Belle January 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am really sad to hear that it is not coming back… I was hooked from the first episode. Thought it was a great show and wish they would give it another try!

Mikel December 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I loved the love-hate relationship between Judy Greer
(one of my favorite character actors) and Tyler Labines
characters!

I truly thought that this show was going to be a huge hit.
Sadly though, some of the humor required too much intellect,
and that just doesn’t go over very well on American TV.

Maybe once you’ve fixed your “edumacation” system,
and 60 % of your population has an IQ higher than 100
instead of lower, this show can come back. For now we’ll
just have to except that the dumbed down shows are the
ones that will flourish, and anything requiring the rubbing
of more than 2 brain cells together will fail. Ever watch
the Big Band Theory? This is a representation of the most
intelligent youth of America? God help you!!!!

Candace November 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Damn, c’mon CBS! You guys have cancelled so many good shows. Moonlight, New Adventures of Old Christine, now Mad Love? What are you guys… Stupid? Who the hell is running that place? Keep picking the crappy shows and get rid of the good ones and see how far y’all fall behind, you stupid asses.

Anonymous June 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm

you are so right!it’s like they do it on purpose! such a great show…