Monday Mornings: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Monday Mornings cancel or renew?TNT recently wrapped the first season of Monday Mornings, their latest medical drama. Should it return for a second season or be cancelled instead?

Monday Mornings follows the lives of the talented yet flawed doctors at the Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Oregon. The title refers to the tough peer review meetings that are run by the hospital’s sarcastic Chief of Staff. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber, Jennifer Finnigan, Bill Irwin, Keong Sim, Sarayu Rao, Emily Swallow, and Alfred Molina.

The show started off the season with just 1.36 million viewers and a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was less than half of what the Dallas premiere lead-in drew with 2.98 million and a 0.8 demo rating.

The numbers for Monday Mornings didn’t get much better as the weeks wore on. The season ended up averaging just 1.39 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo.

Given these numbers, it seems highly unlikely that Monday Mornings will be back for a second season.

But what do you think? Would you like to see the show return for a second season or do you think it should be cancelled? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience? Was the title a problem? What would you have called it?

Patricia April 17, 2013 at 11:24 pm

We love the show! It’s intense and well written. Please do not cancel it! It’s a show that my family can all watch together.

Jennie Reece April 17, 2013 at 10:46 pm

This show was such a great lesson in the moral and ethical dilemnas faced by doctors and nurses every day. Please bring it back!

Suan April 17, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Please please do not cancel this excellent show!

Sarah and Ron Sykes April 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm

This show is the BEST please don’t cancell it!!!!

josh morton April 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm

bring it back. my 8 year old will be devastated if it is cancelled

anna April 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm

i love this show. i hope they bring it back! it’s nice to have another medical show on the air that is well written like grey’s anatomy. there are too many bad ones that have come and gone. this is a good one!

Anonymous April 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm

It’s one of the best shows on TV! Please don’t cancel.
Writing, acting, storylines are fantastic!

Melissa April 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm

This is one of the few shows on TV that my whole family enjoys watching together and that includes a 13 year old boy. We find it well written and it often leads to meaningful discussions in our house. I have been a David E. Kelley fan for years and hope this show will be picked up for next year.

amanda williams April 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm

They definitely need to bring this show back for another few seasons. Unlike other medical shows on tv today, it is real. It is not grossly fake. Of course there are some exaggerated parts but thats what makes it interesting. If it was absolutely real people would not watch it. Hospitals overall are not the exciting.

deb April 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Absolutely love this show! It’s the most interesting, fastest paced hour on tv. PLEASE RENEW IT

Shannon Nichole April 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm

It took me awhile to get into the show because of the time slot, but I really have grown to love the show. Please bring it back!!!

lynn April 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

This show is oustanding. A renowned doctor and producer/director created this show, and it would be a travesty if it is cancelled for good. With all the junk on television, this show is a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous April 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm

this is a wonderful show and needs to be renewed

Annonymous April 17, 2013 at 11:49 am

I have totally enjoed this program. I do hope that you will give it a second chance. The script is well done and the plot moves well. It is one of the only doctor/hospital show that seems to be realistic. I encourage you to bring it back for a second season.

Grandizer April 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

I didn’t want to like the sow as I grew up on ER and on a few other really good hospital shows, but I did like it.
A few tweaks are needed and something to bring in the audience.
For a show that is mainly based in the hospital and had very little ex work scenes, it was not tiring.
A little predictable in places, like of course Jaime was going to be caught and the hospital sued. Of course Dr. “no operation, Dead” was going to follow his instincts and be true to his nature. Of course Rhames was going to have a family member severely injured. Of course when out at dinner something will happen to someone and a Doctor will ride the stretcher in on top of the patient. And so forth, these things happen in EVERY hospital show I have ever watched.

What I have rarely seen is the Monday Morning aspect of the show, and when I did see it, it was NOT NEARLY as powerful as Molina makes. I seriously wait for the glass of water pour. The timing he has is PERFECT. The arguments, the buildup and then the crash as he congratulates a doctor for a job well done and then reams them on why it was not done as it should have, could have been done. How so many times it is luck that saved a patient not the skills of the doctor.

I think if it returns next year, I want to see the tables reversed on him. I never saw him do anything “Surgical” on the show, but he is a cutter, he could do something. I would then love to see Rhames reverse the situation and call him out as well. Of course Rhames would need something other then the pitcher of water and such to do it justice.