Outsourced, Law & Order: Los Angeles: Were They Last Minute Cancellations?

Outsourced season twoIt’s like a look into an alternate universe — or just a terrible tease for fans of Outsourced and Law & Order: Los Angeles. Both NBC series were cancelled after one season on the air and won’t be returning for the 2011-12 season. Of course, if you received press materials from the network, you might think otherwise.

The cancelled freshman series were inadvertently included in materials sent to the press and were teased as returning series.

Both Outsourced and Law & Order: Los Angeles were cancelled due to terrible ratings and it seemed like both shows’ fates were sealed for awhile — but perhaps this little goof is an indication that NBC execs were seriously considering bringing one or both back for second seasons.

While LO:LA description is fairly generic, the Outsourced page may give some insight into what might have happened in season two. The description reads:

“After surviving his first year managing the call center in India, Todd’s ready for some bigger challenges — should he try to make his relationship with Asha a bit more than work-related? Is his team ready for a trip to America for training and some good ol’ USA traditions like beer pong?”

“He’s become more than just their boss, he’s their friend and mentor, and ready to share his culture with them while he continues to learn their ways. He’s there for support when Manmeet meets an American girl online and flies her to India, only to realize she’s more interested in his country than his, well, ‘Manmeet.’ Living in the same boarding house as Gupta, will Todd be able to raise Gupta’s game or will Gupta wind up making him an outcast, too? In this foreign land, anything is possible.”

Outsourced season two

Law and Order Los Angeles season two

What do you think? Do you think either show was close to being renewed? Did either deserve a second chance?

Viknesh August 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Outsourced deserve a second chance definitely. That is the only Series where one can LOL!

Galbinifrons August 1, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hi,
I saw outsourced in 2012, when one of the Polish Tv shows first (and the last ) season — in my opinion it its one of the best sitcoms. Today people want to see only “criminal sitcoms”, and there is no opportunity to find a good – intercultural- series. I live in Poland and I watching many american productions – but it is difficult to find something interesting – I know that the decision isn;t depend on me – but NBC has more “haggard” sitcoms than Outsourced (yes, soory !). And finally menagers which are responsible for Popularity rankings – search on the Web – all over the world – what viewers thinking about cancelled this great sitcom.

pozdrawiam Bartek

Scat Benson 470-422-8878 April 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

I like men

Shelley February 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

Again with the execs cancelling shows – I don’t know who is doing the ratings but obviously they don’t represent the people I know.

Guy October 1, 2011 at 1:05 am

I love Outsourced! The characters were great and extremely likeable, the plots were interesting and the show was very funny. The one about the Indian head shake, more of a bobble really, comes to mind. I’m stationed in Iraq with the Army right now. Many of our contract co-workers come from India. I went to turn in laundry and asked the Gokul, the Indian gentleman behind the counter a question. He gave me that Indian head shake! I laughed my butt off! First time I’ve seen it in person!

I think America and India do and will continue to have a very close relationship in the coming years. Characters and stories involving Indian culture like Outsourced and Rajesh Koothrappali in The Big Bang Theory are valuable for Americans and our understanding of the Indian culture and other cultures. I never get the feeling that these shows are talking down to or insulting India, it’s people or culture. They are funny, endearing, and interesting!

mbw August 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Both shows deserve another chance. Usually the networks flip lower rating shows to different days and/or timeslots but not with Outsourced. Everyone I talk to says they love Outsourced, and I can’t understand why it didn’t get ratings. Bad time slot? It is such a show current with the working world. And the US lags behind creating shows that interact with the rest of the world–which is reality.
Are there any email campaigns to keeping either show? I haven’t found any.

Saphira July 19, 2011 at 5:28 am

Outsourced totally deserved a second chance! Did you see that incredible, beautiful wedding in the finale? It was amazing! The characters were so good, the series was able to revolve completely around them and their hilarious interaction. It was a very interesting plot- and a unique setting for a show. So many shows are set in NY or LA or DC, this one was able to focus on India, and it was very accurate.

I know it was accurate- I’m Indian, and my parents kept complimenting the show on how well it explored various cultural elements. I think it would’ve gotten much more positive attention if it just had a different show title. I’m so sad it was canceled- I really hope some other network picks it up, and let it show its potential to shine as the awesome comedy that it is.

Candace July 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I think the revamped LO LA should be renewed. I liked the changes and think they helped the show.

Lory July 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I really liked L&O LA…they needed to keep Skeet from the beginning.Too bad they keep getting rid of such good shows!