Prison Break: FOX Cancels TV Show, No Season Five!

prison breakIt doesn’t come as a big surprise considering the ratings of late but FOX has announced that they’re cancelling Prison Break after four seasons. Will there be a conclusion to this high-suspense series?

Prison Break follows Michael Scofield (Wentworth Miller), a young structural engineer whose brother (Dominic Purcell) has been framed and incarcerated for murder. To save his brother’s life, Michael concocts a detailed plan to have himself sent to prison and then to free both of them. Along the way, they realize they’re involved in a far-reaching conspiracy with dire consequences for all around them. The rest of the show’s large cast has also included Amaury Nolasco, Robert Knepper, Wade Williams, Sarah Wayne Callies, William Fichtner, Paul Adelstein, Marshall Allman, Rockmond Dunbar, Jodi Lyn O’Keefe, Robin Tunney, Stacy Keach, Leon Russom, Phillip Edward Van Lear, Peter Stormare, Muse Watson, and Patricia Wettig.

The FOX drama debuted on August 29, 2005 to solid ratings of over 10.5 million viewers and a healthy number of 18-49 viewers. Prison’s first season finished with an average audience of 12.1 million. The second season declined a bit with an average of 10.1 million viewers. Season three dropped further to 8.2 million and the current season has averaged just 6.1 million viewers.

Based on the year four numbers to date, many have suspected that this season would be the drama’s last. Prison was missing from the midseason schedule and the network said it wouldn’t return until at least Spring. A spin-off had been in the works in 2007 but, with Prison’s declining numbers, those plans were put on hold.

Do you think Prison Break should be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Today, FOX announced that Prison would be ending after four seasons. FOX president Kevin Reilly said, “Prison Break had a hell of a run, but the run has ended. This will be the last year of the show.” Reilly claims that the decision wasn’t mandated by ratings but rather by the show’s storyline. He said, “The show has just played out. You get to a point creatively where you feel all the stories have been told, and you want to end strong and not gimp out in the end of the season.”

As longtime fans are well aware, Prison has plenty of ongoing and unresolved storylines. In November, the show’s writers pitched the network with the possibility of extending the season by two episodes. The idea was originally envisioned as a way to make up for the abbreviated season three (because of the writers strike). Now, they may be used to wrap things up.

The final six of Prison’s season four episodes are scheduled to kick off on Friday, April 17th. It’ll be taking over the timeslot of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles when that’s finished completing its sophomore year.

Reilly says that the network is contemplating ordering a couple more installments to finish out the show. Of the producers’ story ideas to wrap the series, Reilly said, “They have a really cool ending, actually. I know where they end, and it’s a hell of an idea.”

Apparently, those additional episodes aren’t a done deal yet. Hopefully the network will decide to pay a little extra so that we can actually see the ending that the producers want to do. After four years of watching Linc and Michael run, will viewers be satisfied with how the story ends?

Jonny August 15, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love Prison Break but I do not really like it the end of the series …should be more action like the beginning and not end with the death of Michael..I think producers were out of mind when they produced the last season because it drop in everything including action. I am a producer and in my opinion should be back a short season to finish up Prison Break Saga Strong !!!!

Jake August 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I agree, I really thought they should have had a way better ending.

b July 24, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Most ppl watch shows/movies via internet/netflix etc…..thats still supportn the show….could the officials please say if there would b a season 5????

b July 24, 2014 at 3:05 pm

On you tube there are short clippings of season 5….so i cant understand the cancelation!!

admin July 24, 2014 at 3:13 pm

They must be clips from previous seasons because a fifth season was never shot. It’s not like they’re hiding it away in a vault somewhere.

Clare July 19, 2014 at 5:03 am

Please make a season 5 of prison break its absolutly brilliant many ppl watch it on netflix and internet so thats y ratings dwn but were all craving a another season

Christina Thompson July 19, 2014 at 1:23 am

Prison break needs to come back because they spent all this time running and never had a good ending I love the idea of him coming back out of hiding! That would be awesome!

C-buu July 7, 2014 at 2:39 am

Guys Please bring us SEASON 5 its been years and I thought I was going to be over the craving but I’m still craving for SEASON 5………….please consider these Comments. This is serious hey…

Stella Driftwood July 5, 2014 at 3:31 am

This show was awesome and there couldn’t have been a better story with such a fantastic cast, a storyline so good from beginning to end – always keeping the viewers on the edge,craving for a little more of the story. Kudos for the show.

shirley June 28, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Please. Please bring Michael back. I need season 5

Bob June 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Prison break season 5 should come out. This is because i love and i want to carry on watching. Also, at the end Scofield dies but i don’t want to leave it like that. Season 5 should come out as its very good and alot of people will watch it. I LOVED everyone single episode as it was too good. The best movie i have every watched and will.

Doug calcutt June 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

All seasons are awsome. It should be more seasons.i love the whole crew.all ways on the edge of my seat.sad that its over the best show ever.watching it over and over.please consider it for more seasons don’t matter what channel it comes on.

Anonymous June 11, 2014 at 12:54 am

I really think there should be more seasons. There is so much more potential in this story it just need to be written, I’m sure it will be a bigger hit then anyone thinks especially if you bring Michael back in the picture. Hope to see many more seasons to come.

Jason funk June 4, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I can’t say I followed the series when it first ran I just now watched all 4 seasons on DVD and the movie as well I know everyone out there think I am nuts but I disagree there can be more to this story a lot of back spin from the original including Michael jr. And LJ not saying it has to be called prison break but if the genetics run in the family gene then JR should have his father’s genes . Yes I know the people that read this need more insight on how to make this possible. A story is never complete I think JR needs to relive who his father was and the reason why his father did what he did by breaking his uncle out of prison and the company never dies it has been halted. Please reconsider write me back.

Sophie June 4, 2014 at 7:57 am

Is there gonna be a season 5 on prision break I love every single one of them and think there should be more why ain’t any more came out there is thousand of fans watching theses

Anonymous June 2, 2014 at 12:19 am

This is f**k… We need the season 5 and need to be show the good end. Ok..

marc w May 31, 2014 at 7:14 pm

This show was absolutely fantastic their isn’t any point in trying to get them to make another season because its was all about keeping people on the edge of their chair which they couldn’t have did any better to make another episode would make then finale break look stupid hat off to this show never make another one and keep the fans wanting another when I watched final episode I knew their wouldn’t be another and because Michael died in the end that’s what made the hole thing realy emotional ending all good storiesld have beginning middle & end which this did and couldn’t have been done better the cast also made show what it was and Wentworth hope you remember who i am;)