Psych: Renewed for Season Seven by USA

Psych season sevenThe longest-running TV show on the USA Network, Psych, has been renewed for a seventh episode of 16 episodes. They’ll start airing later this year.

The renewal news was broken by series stars James Roday and Dule Hill in a video posted on the Psych Facebook page and linked through the Twitter feed.

The first nine episodes of season six, which aired in the latter part of 2011, have averaged a 1.0 in the 18-49 demographic and 2.85 million viewers. Psych returns on February 29th and season six will conclude on April 11th.

Here’s the press release about the season seven renewal:

MUCH ANTICIPATED NEWS OF USA’S “PSYCH” SEASON 7 PICK UP DELIVERED TO FANS FIRST!

STARS JAMES RODAY AND DULÉ HILL ANNOUNCE PICK UP OF SERIES THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA

Pineapple Puzzle Presents Fun Mystery for PSYCH-Os to Decipher on Facebook and Twitter

http://www.facebook.com/psych and http://twitter.com/psych_usa

NEW YORK – January 10, 2012 – USA Network’s favorite faux psychic and his best friend, along with Santa Barbara’s finest, are back in business as PSYCH, starring James Roday and Dulé Hill, has been renewed for a seventh season. Currently USA’s longest running series on air, PSYCH will be back with 16 all-new episodes with fun-filled storylines and A-list guest stars later this year. The announcement was made today by USA Co-Presidents Chris McCumber and Jeff Wachtel.

Actually, it was the series stars who made the announcement though as PSYCH fans first heard the good news from Roday and Hill personally through USA’s popular PSYCH Facebook page and Twitter feed. To build intrigue and momentum of the special news throughout the day, the network shared multiple pieces of a pineapple puzzle and alluded that when complete the puzzle may reveal a special message. The final fourth piece and most delicious slice of pineapple unlocked a special video message from Roday and Hill about the pickup. Roday first told fans in his character Shawn Spencer’s typical nonchalant fashion, that he’s decided to get a new brown belt and needed their help. He then goes on to casually mention, “Oh, and also, PSYCH is officially coming back for a seventh season, which is very cool, but I’m kinda working on this belt situation right now.” Hill, who plays Shawn’s best friend Gus, followed with a shout out to fans thanking them for their support for the show.

“We are always trying to find ways to reward our PSYCH brand ambassadors for their loyalty and passion and social media plays a critical role in how we connect with the people who matter most — the fans,” said McCumber and Wachtel. “It was exciting to deliver this historical news to them first and before traditional media.”

In 2011, PSYCH delivered more P18-49 (2.31 million) and P18-34 (1.22 million) Live+7 viewers than ever before in its five year run. The show returns to complete its sixth season on Leap Day, Wednesday, February 29 at 10/9c.

With 2.1 million Facebook fans, this cult favorite stars Roday as a police consultant who solves crimes with powers of observation so acute the precinct detectives think he’s psychic. With help from his best friend and reluctant sidekick (Hill), he continues to solve the mysterious and often bizarre crimes of the Santa Barbara Police Department. PSYCH also stars Corbin Bernsen, Timothy Omundson, Maggie Lawson and Kirsten Nelson.

PSYCH is executive produced by Steve Franks, Kelly Kulchak and Chris Henze, from Universal Cable Productions in association with Tagline Pictures. Mel Damski serves as executive producer/director. Bill Callahan is executive producer. Saladin K. Patterson and Andy Berman are co-executive producers/writers.

To view the announcement by James Roday and Dule Hill: http://www.facebook.com/psych or http://twitter.com/psych_usa

Universal Cable Productions creates quality content across multiple media platforms for USA, Syfy and other networks. A leader in innovative and critically acclaimed programming, UCP is the studio behind USA’s “Suits,” “Royal Pains,” “Psych,” “In Plain Sight,” “Covert Affairs,” and “Fairly Legal,” along with Syfy’s “Alphas,” “Eureka,” and “Warehouse 13.” The studio is also producing “I Just Want My Pants Back” for MTV. UCP is a division of NBCUniversal.

USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in over 102 million U.S. homes. A division of NBCUniversal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television series and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.

USA Network is a program service of NBCUniversal Cable a division of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Psych will be back for another season? How long do you think it should realistically continue?

Kat October 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I love Psych. Watch it every Saturday on ION. Now, it’s gone! We can’t afford cable, so I have no other way to watch it. How do we get it back???

ter October 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Its on Netflix and hulu!!!! Or shady free websites. Don’t pay for cable!! Not worth it. Just get a netflix account.

sue September 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Please keep Psych on the air. It is my favorite show.Thanks!!Sue

shirley baer September 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I love this show… this is september 23 2012 and i havent seen it advertised to come back on for a season 8…. has anyone else heard?

Georgia Brandon September 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Like the show. Its a nice change for a detective show. The two main carracters are hilarious together, but don’t make it to silly.

Jim Mead August 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Psych is such a great quality comedy-drama that I could see it go on for many more years. In the tradition of the best comedic partners, these guys have a natural rapport that needs to stick around.

Michael A. Mohr August 19, 2012 at 12:16 am

My wife and i watch this show faithfully every saturday all day. I thank you for another season. Im a retired cancer victim and look forward to watch this everyday or night that it is on. I went to school at Santa Barbara City College, so i look forward to seeing the old stomping grounds. era 1976. Thank you again

Anonymous August 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Never Never Never cancel Psych. It’s the BEST show EVER…

Rose ZagarOakenrose July 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I love this show. The characters work well together. Have all the seasons and never get tired of watching.

Cantrell. Dustin81@yahoo June 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Psych is the best show on tv I will be more than willing to help financially to keep another season on the air please don’t take the best show of all time off the air and does anyone know the season 7 when it begins

Sophie Dime June 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm

The first time I watched Psych was in Greece 6 years ago and I instantly fell in love with the scenes, the characters and the plot. This series made me laugh continually and often Psych scenes would pop in my head after watching it and I’d laugh even more!

When I moved from Greece, I completely lost all other seasons that aired and years went by. One day, I remembered the plot and googled it up to find what it was called. Can you imagine that I watched all 5 seasons that I had missed, including the 1 season that I had already seen in just two weeks? Episodes back to back… I could not stop!

This saying, I am so glad there’s a season 7!

Lisa Brannon May 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This is my favorite show in tv. Please, please, never take this show away from me. This is the only comedy that actually makes me laugh out loud.

Shawn W January 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

PSYCH is the best show to come along in years! It is refreshing and interesting and FUN. It is our whole family’s favorite show by far. PSYCH is a joy to watch and we look forward every week to a new one and when that is over, we watch on Netflix — sometimes for hours on end. My husband and two daughters even got me Shawn’s green PSYCH iPhone case for Christmas!! Please, don’t ever take it off the air!!!
Shawn Wheeler

Chuck January 12, 2012 at 10:49 am

Ditto Bethany. Well said! Psych is definitely must see TV!!

Bethany January 12, 2012 at 5:50 am

Psych is by far the best show that has ever aired on USA, and I have loved many of them. This show has the potential to run longer than any other show on the network, as it has so much room to keep us laughing and guessing. The cast is such a wonderful fit with some of the most inovative writers in the business today. Honestly, they should go ahead and just renew the show for a few seasons at a time if possible, as the fan base is nowhere near ready to let this show go silently anytime soon.

Kudos to the amazingly intelligent powers that be at USA for making this decision so wisely. Maybe they could pick up a few of the other shows that people on this website (among others) are complaining have gone away.

Anonymous February 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I SOOO agree!BEST SHOW ON T.V. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Phych, I don’t want it to ever go off the air. My family and I all love it, I think that the writers on this show are the BEST ever!!

Jeremy Rynek January 11, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Monk was 8 seasons long, so I don’t think Psych could be the longest running show on the network if it was just renewed for season 7.

Bethany January 12, 2012 at 5:52 am

Didn’t Monk start out on Showtime or somewhere? I am not sure, but I think its long run was due to running on a different network before being picked up by the geniuses at USA.

Jeremy Rynek January 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

No, it had 8 seasons just on USA. It says it right here on this website if you just click on Monk on the big list of shows.

Kat January 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I’m pretty sure the article meant it’s the longest running show that’s STILL on the network… as in, not cancelled.

admin January 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm