Rules of Engagement: CBS Sitcom Renewed for Season Six [report]

Rules of Engagement season sixSomewhere, David Spade is wearing a big smirk. Though it’s not nearly as popular as other CBS sitcoms, the network has reportedly decided to renew Rules of Engagement for a sixth season.

Rules of Engagement revolves around two couples and their single friend as they navigate the challenges of dating, commitment and marriage. Adam (Oliver Hudson) and Jennifer Morgan (Bianca Kajlich) are newly engaged sweethearts and Jeff (Patrick Warburton) and Audrey Bingham (Megyn Price) are the long-married couple. Russell Dunbar (Spade) is their shallow and womanizing friend. While he can’t keep a mate, Russell has an assistant from India, Timmy (Adhir Kalyan), who reluctantly helps solves many of his boss’ problems.

The sitcom started out this season on Monday nights, bridging the gap between How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men. CBS then moved it to Thursdays following The Big Bang Theory. Though it had much stronger lead-in support on Thursdays, the ratings have dropped and last week it hit a new series low with a 2.2 demo rating and 7.72 million viewers.

Should Rules have been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Still, Rules of Engagement has held up well. CBS ordered 24 episodes this season — nearly double the usual number — and the show has averaged a 2.9 rating in the demo and 8.58 million viewers. That’s just slightly below last season’s 13 episode average.

The show has been on the bubble for renewal and some expected it to be cancelled but it’s now safe for another year. It likely didn’t hurt that CBS is a co-owner of the TV series and another season will help Rules of Engagement’s sales in syndication. There are currently 72 installments and another 13-24 episode season will bring the sitcom closer to the optimum 100 episode mark.

Also, though Two and a Half Men will surely return in some form, CBS doesn’t know how things will work out and it never hurts to have a utility player like Rules as a back-up.

What do you think? Are you glad that Rules of Engagement is coming back for a sixth season? How long should it continue?

james hamby November 27, 2011 at 5:12 am

i love this show david spade is funny as hell in it and patrick is great ever since seinfeld i though he should so something keep the show going !

Linda September 28, 2011 at 11:48 pm

yes! I’m so glad it is returning! I love this show!

skat September 7, 2011 at 7:33 am

So many problems in the world today to worry about today I think we need more shows like Rules of Engagement to help us smile.

TJ May 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Probably CBS third best comedy, behind Big Bang and Two and a half Men, in that order. Others are mediocre at best. Adams character is acting dumber, but it is still funny. Maybe cool it a little with Russel, as it is too unbelievable that Timmy would stay around with the treatment he gets.

sth360 May 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm

sth360 May 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I agree with ginz, Adam should be hit by a crosstown bus. He’s been reduced to a complete moron. Completely unbelievable considering his position at Russels family’s firm!

sth360 May 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Love the show! Should stay for at least 9 seasons.

ginz May 13, 2011 at 8:02 am

I am glad to see rules staying on TV. I would however like to see a drastic change. Jeff and Audrey are excellent characters and Timmy has really been an awesome addition. However I have had enough of Adam and Jennifer. His character has gotten so stupid it is an annoyance now. Maybe it is time to jettison him.

CJRobinson May 13, 2011 at 8:00 am

I think it should be renewed. It was doing strong on Mondays before CBS moved it to Thursdays. I never thought Thursdays would help the show. It’s not a good match to The Big Bang Theory. Hopefully they put it back in its Monday timeslot next season. I mean, look how Mad Love turned out. Rules was getting over a 1 point 18-49 demo higher in the same slot. CBS made a big mistake when they moved it.

Nunya May 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I was a fan of this show since its first season but i think its lost its touch. Maybe if adam and jen were married by now…

Ross May 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Argh! I want this show to get canceled!

David May 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

It’s the “According to Jim” of CBS – a mediocre show that seems to somehow survive.

Craig May 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I am pleasantly surprised. I really enjoy the show, but I never thought it would catch on as well as it has. If FOX could only figure out how to keep its comedies on the air.

Bandit 71 May 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love this show. Patrick Warburton is awesome!

Jeremy Rynek May 12, 2011 at 9:47 am

Yes it should have been renewed. I’ve been waiting for Patrick to come back to TV since he was David Putty. And he’s even funnier in this show. It should got on for at least 8 seasons.