Smash: Cancelled? NBC Drama Sent to Saturdays

Smash canceledSmash has been sent packing. The musical drama will finish its season on Saturday nights. While the peacock network hasn’t said that the show’s been cancelled, there’s no way they’re bringing it back for a third season.

Smash follows a cast and production team in New York as they try to mount a new Broadway musical. This season, the ensemble cast includes Debra Messing, Christian Borle, Katharine McPhee, Jack Davenport, Megan Hilty, Anjelica Huston, Leslie Odom Jr., Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez, and Andy Mientus.

Last season, Smash was a moderate success for NBC, thanks in part to the strong lead-in support from The Voice. It averaged a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.

This season, Smash has really suffered without the reality competition’s support. The six episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a mere 1.0 in the demo with 3.48 million.

Other than Fashion Star on Friday nights, Smash is currently NBC’s lowest-rated series.

While there’s no way NBC will be making a third season, there is positivenews. NBC appears to be commited to letting the remaining 11 episodes air. Smash will start running on Saturday nights on April 6th, at 9pm.

What do you think? Are you sad about Smash’s fate? Do you like the show this season?

Riley May 7, 2013 at 1:52 am

My favorite show on TV… Please don’t cancel!!!!

Sherry Hayes May 6, 2013 at 10:50 pm

PLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE don’t cancel Smash!!!! It is a great show! PLEASE give it
another season!!!

Vee May 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I love SMASH! I look forward to it every week! Totally bummed when it went to Saturdays, but made my choice to stay home so I wouldn’t miss it! Please don’t cancel it.
There is so much talent on this show. I go to New York at least once a year to catch a Broadway show… SMASH has brought Broadway into my living room.

Anonymous May 6, 2013 at 7:51 pm

A very well crafted piece of entertainment each week.

Kindall Bryant May 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

I LOVE Smash, I look forward to it every week

Ted May 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I agree with all of the comments prior to mine. As a fledgling actor and former NYC resident, nothing captures the thrill of the City and Broadway as this show does. It really is sad, that when there is as interesting and captivating a show as this (one that appeals to adults), it is promptly cancelled. If only some none commercial network could pick it up and run with it. Too, too bad.

IRENE May 5, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Pleeeeeeeese don’t cancel this show. I look forward every week for the singing & dancing. I so love Katherine. Hopefully the ratings will be better on saturday.

Sheila May 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Ok.. I think it’s my fault! Seems like whatever I like they seem to cancel!! I love this show.. I love the singing. It seems the only thing that can survive is some reality crap where folks are fighting and acting a fool! I loved Last Resort and they cancelled that… I loved BOSS on Showtime.. They cancelled that…..I’m starting to get paranoid…..

Pamela Stapleton May 5, 2013 at 8:23 am

I am sick of reality shows. I enjoy Smash because it has a little bit of everything; the singing is fantastic and the drama behind the scenes gets better and better. Don’t cancel it and DON’T keep moving it. I wouldn’t have been able to find it, but DVR did and recorded the show.

Tiffany May 5, 2013 at 2:18 am

So sad to hear it might be canceled. I love this show and wish they would stop changing the days it is on. I am currently refreshing the website page just so I can watch the newest episode from tonight as soon as it is available! Still hoping they reconsider… this is one of my can’t miss shows!

Stacie B May 5, 2013 at 12:27 am

How can NBC do this!!! Why do all the REALLY entertaining shows have to be cancelled!
The music is awesome, the singing is fabulous, the stories are great and interesting, like real people, without the annoying “reality TV” crap in there. Please, Please don’t cancel this show.

Jennifer May 5, 2013 at 12:23 am

My family LOVES Smash. We look forward to each new site and have enjoyed listening to all the wonderful music and pay three CD’ s frequently. It’s a shame that good show are canceled while trashy reality shows are thriving.

Lynn May 4, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I love Smash! It’s got all the fun of Broadway without having to go there – the music and the artists are all so good – and the network didn’t give it a break moving it to Saturday night. Please give it another year!!

sam May 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

The one show worth watching and your going to cancel it. What is NBC thinking? Real life, real situations, and great music. Dudes get a clue!

Peter May 4, 2013 at 8:58 pm

You’d be nuts to cancel smash it’s the best show on TV!!!!!!!!!