Stargate Universe: Syfy TV Show Cancelled; No Season Three

Stargate UniverseSyfy has confirmed that there won’t be a third season for Stargate Universe. The science fiction series has been cancelled after two seasons and 40 episodes.

The first half of season two finished airing on November 30th. The second 10 episodes are expected to air in the Spring of 2011. Unless the cable channel comes up with a replacement, this will mark the first time since 2002 that a Stargate series hasn’t aired on Syfy (previously known as the Sci-Fi Channel).

Stargate Universe follows a diverse exploration team who is unable to return to Earth after evacuating to a Ancient spaceship that’s headed to a distant part of the universe. The cast includes Robert Carlyle, Louis Ferreira, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, David Blue, Alaina Huffman, Jamil Walker Smith, and Ming-Na.

Here’s the official statement from Syfy…

Syfy will end its original action-adventure series Stargate Universe when the show returns with the final 10 episodes of its second season in the Spring of 2011. The Stargate franchise — consisting of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe — has aired on Syfy since 2002.

Syfy has a slate of new sci-fi/fantasy scripted projects lined up for 2011 including the series premiere of Being Human on January 17, the recently green lit one-hour drama series Alphas and the much anticipated Battlestar Galactica prequel pilot movie, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Warehouse 13, Eureka and Haven will also return with new seasons next year.

It’s unclear if the final 10 episodes of Stargate Universe will give closure to the series.

What do you think? Are you sorry that SGU is coming to an end? Do you think the ongoing storylines will be resolved?

Colonel Young June 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm

OMG you can’t leave it like this…i will be wondering the rest of my life at what could have happened. Did Eli repair the time capsule in time? Did he have to kill himself? THIS IS BULLLLLLLLLLLLL

Tolkeinator June 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm

States side fan of Stargate since the beginning , went to the movie and have been a devote of all the series. SGU was as good as SG1 and far better than the Atlantis (my apologies to those whose discerning palate disagrees) McGyver has done a great job through out . It is only right this end as well as it all began……..another dig in Egypt perhaps ?

Amedeus June 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

We want a season 3!

jim kirby June 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm

uk fan of sgu can not beleive they not makeing another series and to leave the story were its at is an insult to everyone who watched the show i really got in to it and feel robbed out of a proper ending to the show thanks too all the money grabbing fat wan#ers who are not in touch with the viewers. bring back sgu series 3 please or at least give us a proper ending

Spanky Manlove June 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm

U.K SGU fan , i am absoloutley gutted that they have cancelled the series. Some other broadcaster\network needs to pick this up (Rupert Murdoch and Sky, i am looking at you)

This has been one of my favourite shows in the last few years, i watched it religiously

please bring it back for futures series.

Jim Jenia June 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

It’s simple enough for me … NO STARGATE season (I’d prefer SGA) but did get into SGU, and no more me.

I will simply watch other channels, NONE of the other SCIFY mentioned series inspire me like the Stargate series have.

So by by SciFy!

Kurt Schatteman June 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Stargate Universe was finally getting somewhere. It has become a great show, with lots of potential … but now its canceled. What a shame.
Another season of Warehouse 13 , Eureka and probably ghost hunters international … ow boy. Is there another Science Fiction Channel out there that I can recommend my cable-provider?

Joann June 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I wanted to see them get home or at least where Destiny was headed. Leaving them in stasis leaves us thinking maybe there will be a final movie?

Brandon June 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Why does Syfy make decisions like this? This was a great show that everyone I know loves and they just tossed it to the side like the show was going nowhere. I hope that another channel picks up the series. This is exactly the reason why I don’t waste my money on cable. You find a show that you love and they pull the plug for no real reason! I’ll just stick to Netflix and my digital antenna to pick up whats on the major networks only! F*** cable!

Mike May 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Real disappointed. Stargate Universe was a great series with a great story line. As the shows aired, the characters really developed and added a high sense of realism to the show.
The actors did such a great job that I almost felt like I was there with them and that I was actually part of the crew. They cancelled this for Being Human show…. crap! Neither am I interested in Battlestar Galactica. I was faithful to this series and had the rug pulled out from under me. The series finale left too much hanging and left a bad taste in my mouth and I am afraid to watch anything else as the same fate will await me again.
The decision by SyFi Channel has really turned me off to their network. They need to
bring this series back next year. This series was developing momentum and needed more time but some people made a hasty decision and I think they made a big mistake
that hurt many of their viewers, me inparticular. Please bring this series back.

James May 24, 2011 at 3:34 am

TV is like games nowadays, only crap comes trough. Warehouse13? Come on, really? Who watches stuff like that but doesn’t watch good series like Stargate Universe?

frank May 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

from belgium
please make the seasons 3,4, 5 sgU its better then batlestar galactica atlantis was awsome universe also stop sg1 and let universe go on

jOE s. May 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm

What is SyFy if there’s next to nothing in that ganre aired on the channel? Do we really want WWE Smackdown friday nights on SyFy, NO! Stargate series were, by far, the best out there in terms of material for future shows.

Eivind May 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

MOOORE MOOOOOORE…….Please don`t cancell the show, it`s a very cool show:)

Stargate Fan May 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I am so upset that Stargate Universe was cancelled. Bring it back!!!!!!!to echo above, at least give us a proper ending!!!!!