Stargate Universe and Sanctuary: Syfy Renews TV Series

SanctuarySyfy has given the go-ahead for a second season of Stargate Universe and a third season of Sanctuary. The cable channel has ordered 20 installments of each.

Stargate Universe (SGU) is the latest series in the Stargate franchise and revolves around a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians, who must fend for themselves after being forced through a Stargate. The desperate survivors emerge aboard an ancient ship which is locked on an unknown course and unable to return to Earth. It features Robert Carlyle, Justin Louis, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, David Blu, Alaina Huffman, Jamil Walker Smith, Patrick Gilmore, Peter Kelamis, Julia Benson, Jennifer Spence, Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman, Mark Burgess, Ming-Na, Josh Blacker, Haig Sutherland, and Lou Diamond Phillips.

Sanctuary follows the adventures of Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping), a brilliant scientist who holds the secrets of a group of strange and sometimes terrifying beings that hide among humans. Others in the cast include Robin Dunne, Emilie Ullerup, Ryan Robbins, Christopher Heyerdahl, and Agam Darshi.

SGU is expected to return in April with the second partth of its 20 episode first season. Production on season two will begin in early 2010 and is expected to start airing in the fall.

The second season of Sanctuary is currently airing and expected to finish on January 15, 2010. Production on season three will start in early 2010 and begin airing in Fall 2010. This recent pickup marks the biggest order to date for Sanctuary. Seasons one and two are comprised of only 13 episodes apiece.

What do you think? Are either or both of these shows worthy of another season? Which do you prefer?

Ray May 25, 2010 at 12:42 am

I agree with Tom. There was a time when Sci-Fi (note spelling) and Comedy central were the only two reasons I really had cable (okay and adult swim when it was good). I was almost always watching the sci-fi channel but I can’t take it now. I hadn’t turned to sci fi since about the 5th or 6th ep of SGU when I realized I’d need something stronger than coffee to keep me awake and watching it. I (and I hate to say this) would rather they just stopped making SG shows during the “budgetting cutbacks” rather than youtubing it up with this stuff. I’m sure there’s potential, and I almost don’t blame the writers (they probably try to insert something we’d like and get shot down by the producers because it will actually cost more than 2 bags of peanuts to do). They could have done a lot with SGA without leaving the new planet that probably would have been less expensive shooting outdoors or needed less CG or something. Same with the original SG series, they could have had 1/2 a season devoted to them preparing to tell the world about the existence of ET’s that would lead to that future world (this is why I’m not a writer)… but Sanctuary I love, especially the Bollywood dancing… That was funny, just like the movies I’ve seen where they just randomly break into dance and song like our old school movies used to be.

Enough of me….

And seriously enough of this boring SGU…. make it do something worth me subjecting myself to the commercial breaks.

Aden May 23, 2010 at 8:12 pm

SGU is currently my favorite show on TV. The acting is generally great, with the exception of just a couple of people, and the writing is excellent. It started off slow but I have no idea how people could possibly complain about not enough character development. I feel like most of the criticisms are coming from SG1/SGA fans who were expecting another campy, unbelievable, light-hearted rehashing of the same concept. I liked both previous series but the formula was starting to get stale. I just wish they would consider some multi-episode story arcs. They start in with great stories and then have to rush an ending in the last ten minutes.

Randi May 22, 2010 at 10:41 am

I truly enjoy SGU – even tho I just started watching it using Hulu. I have found this much more interesting than SG-A. Never watched Sanc. – but – will give it a try if it’s online as well.

jacob davis May 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I realy hope to see a new season of santuary, Amanda tapping is a great actor and plays the crazy british scientist type very well. I enjoyed everything in the last two seasons exept the weird dancing scene in the season two finale … creepy arabian cordinated dances aside the series brings some well needed drama and mysterie to the syfy channel (You know ever scince they took Doctor Who off the network) and is more family freindly than SGU and less teen based than merlin.

Jim May 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm

You people are crazy! Universe is so much better than the other two…no campy, stupid other worlds with Star Trek sixties rulers, much better acting, idiotic sarcastic humor eliminated, Robert Carlyle and Louis Ferrara worth the price of admission; granted, the stones are stupid. but no one’s perfect. And David Blue…so bad, he’s good. I love this show.

Tom King May 11, 2010 at 11:13 am

SGU is actually coming along storywise. I think they are catching some heat from some of the poor programming decisions at SyFy (WHO’S IDEA WAS THAT NAME CHANGE ANYWAY?).

Somehow they’ve hired someone to make programming decisions at SF that doesn’t understand sci-fi fans at all. They’ve confused us with horror movie fans – a group not noted for going to movies to exercise their brains at all. Naturally they would assume if we’d watch horror schlock, we’d really get off on wrestling?

There is enough good SF out there to keep this channel going forever. They could bring back the shows other channels canceled and finish them for crying out loud. I’m thinking when they cancel “Castle” they grab Nathan Fillion to take another run at Firefly. If they used the BSG model and ran for several seasons then put a lid on it, think of all the secondary DVD sales they’d collect. They’ve also done some nice work with Wonderland, Tin Man and even Riverworld. They could run a long way with what they started with Oz and Riverworld. Want another good Firefly like series? Bring out Poul Anderson’s wonderful Nicholas Van Rinjh (the trader to the stars). There is a huge politically conservative base out there that loves writers like Heinlein and Anderson. You could shuffle through the Hugo awards for the last 50 years and program forever. Instead of those creature features on Saturday night, bring back some classic Sci-fi.

The trick is that really good Sci-fi attracts smart people. If you program for smart people, the word will get around and there is no more loyal audience than a bunch of us nerds (some of whom go to work in 3 piece suits and drive Porches). Back your schedule up with on-line streaming so we never miss an episode, DVD sales so we can keep our favorite shows close beside us in case the apocalypse comes and we can’t get cable anymore and a deep archive of past shows that you drag out for a 3 month run every year or two.

Forget trying to attract the mainstream. They are too busy looking cool. They’ll tag along, but SF will be a “guilty pleasure” they don’t tell their friends about. You want the guys that piled 10,000 pounds of nuts in CBS’s lobby when they canceled Jericho. You want the guys that shut down servers when Enterprise was on the chopping block (it’s my favorite Star Trek by the way next to the new ST movie).

And throw in some historical fiction with some of that same SF flavor – I’m thinking someone should finish the “Hornblower” series with Ioan Griffuth that A&E dropped incomplete and even some of Poul Anderson’s spectacular Time Patrol stuff. SF needs to stop trying to attract dim-bulb gen-X’ers and go after those of us who grew up on science fiction. There is so much really good stuff out there to build a string of series’s on they wouldn’t have to spend a fortune. SF writers have been getting a half cent a word for 50 years.

SyFy needs to dump the genius (insert snort of derision here) who has been driving the network down into zombie-ville for the past few years and get back to what made the channel great. They need to get back to hard SF like SG-1, from people who approach the genre with respect and a sense of humor made the Sci-fi.com brand. This rebranding attempt that’s been going on has badly misfired. Battlestar was good and got a lot of awards, okay, but they kind of lost me toward the end and I was relieved to see it wrap up. (and by the way, the shaky camera stuff on BSG was not original – watch Firefly if you want to see it done better).

Sci-fi, if you really want to fix your brand, give me a call. I’m looking for a job right now anyway. I think I could help you. (twayneking@gmail.com). If not, anybody else out there want to start a REAL science fiction network.

Now watch ‘em get mad and cancel “Eureka”

Carla Harnack May 14, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Wow, Tom, I was going to reply but I think you covered it all. Thanks!

Chris May 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm

The Syfy channel continues to get worse.

They cancel SGA and bring on Sanctuary and SGU neither of which are as good.
They change their name from SciFi to Syfy which was just stupid.
They play wrestling….yeah WRESTLING. Someone want to explain how they figured that Science Fiction fans also somehow are wrestling fans?? Then there are the horrific Saturday night special made for tv Syfy movies they put on. They are simply horrific. Not worth watching except to laugh at uncontrollably.

I’m still holding out hope that SGU gets better and I love Eureka but the SciFi channels has been heading downhill for a while now.

Curtis April 23, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I am following SGU only because I believe it has potential and have been a loyal SG fan since day one. If this was just another series similiar to SG:1 and SG:A I think we would all be complaining that it was getting old. I think the writers are trying something new in a slow paced character development kind of way and I think we all need to just be patient and we will be happy with what happens. Then again in a year I could be just as disappointed as the rest of you.

Harvey April 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

SGU is good, some of the characters are annoying but I really like Robert Carlyle character. The woman that plays Chloe is awful and I hope she gets the axe but other than that no other character annoys me to that extent. It is impossible to compare to SGU to SGA, SG because those are different types of shows. Personally I prefer SGA and SG but SGU is good for what it is. I wish they had never canceled SGA at least there making movies.

I enjoy Sanctuary and am glad to see them continue to create episodes.

Carl April 13, 2010 at 11:37 am

SGU – TURN THE LIGHTS ON. What a dark piece of crap. Give the camera operator something for the DTs. The shaking and jogging is out of control. The content is at best Battle Star Galactica, and I use the term best in the sarcastic inference. OVER dramatized, all this woo goo personal interaction with the camera stuffed in someone‚Äôs face is nothing more than the failed approached used in BSG. I’m looking for a SciFi, intellectually stimulating, scientific, graphically cool entertainment. If I wanted day to day drama I would shut off the TV and invite may relatives over for the week. You have the opportunity to explore the universe, lighten up, brighten up and do it.

Helene April 12, 2010 at 7:24 pm

SGU is awful! It’s like watching a bad SOAP. Its an embarassment to SG1 & SGA. If budget was a big issue. They were better off keeping SGA and cancel SGU.

jenni April 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I am disappointed in SGU..it is dark, hard to follow and the actors and storyline are flat…I loved the crew of Atlantis and Shanks, Browder, Black and Judge…would love to see more of a storyline of archeologist/Indiana Jones…light, humorous storylines..I am afraid I probably won’t continue to watch SGU…or watch the DVD’s of the shows…

steve March 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

I think the aliens may be the crew themselves. Their all dark, creepy, and can’t act. Yup sounds like a bad guy to me.

steve March 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

SGU is so god-awful I’m amazed it was created by the same writers that made SGA. The characters are all shallow and lack depth. All the show is about is sex. After 10 episodes we still don’t know the crew and quit honestly with how bad the acting is I don’t want to get to know the crew. Stories revolve more around who is sleeping with who and who is sleeping with who back on earth. It’s general hospital with a spaceship in it so they could air it on syfy. The show lacks everything that SG-1 and SGA had that made those shows so great. Like so many people have said SGU is a glorified BSG ripoff. The writers totally sold out on their fan base. And for that I’d like to give them the one finger salute. This show is dirty toilet water that should be flushed.

Paula March 30, 2010 at 7:59 am

SGU is slow. I loved SG1 and SGA. If SGU is going to survive, the writers need to come up with some good material, aliens or something. Santuary is growing on me.