The Chicago Code: FOX Drama on the Bubble; To Be Cancelled or Renewed?

Chicago CodeSeveral weeks ago, FOX unveiled their latest cop drama called The Chicago Code. The series has the enviable position of following the network’s popular House series. How have the ratings been? Strong enough to get it renewed or will it be cancelled?

The Chicago Code follows officers of the Chicago Police Department as they fight crime while also trying to expose political corruption within the city. Veteran Chicago Police Detective Jarek Wysocki (Jason Clarke) leads the special unit fighting against the corruption. Others in the cast include Jennifer Beals, Matt Lauria, Devin Kelley, Todd Williams, Billy Lush, and Delroy Lindo.

The series debuted to a decent 2.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 9.43 million total viewers. In week two, it dropped 17% in the demo which isn’t very good but isn’t horrible either. Since then, the ratings have been slowly eroding. The last three original episodes have registered a 1.8 in the demo with an average of 6.16 million viewers. That’s not very good and puts the series squarely “on the bubble.” It could be easily renewed or cancelled.

FOX has three shows that are basically in the same boat — Chicago Code, Lie to Me, and Human Target.

Of the three, Human Target seems the most likely to be cancelled. It got the lowest ratings and the network already renewed it once in hopes that the numbers would improve. They didn’t. It’s also been off the air for months.

Whether they decide to renew Chicago Code and/or Lie to Me will likely have a lot to do with how much faith the execs have in their pilots for the new season. Depending on available timeslots, they could choose to renew one, both, or neither.

As a result, Chicago Code’s ratings over the next couple weeks will likely play a big role in the decision to cancel or renew the show. Including tonight’s episode, the series only has two airings before the FOX schedule is unveiled for 2011-12 on Monday, May 16th. (You can watch this list to stay updated on what’s renewed or cancelled.)

What do you think? Does Chicago Code deserve to be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Ann January 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm

What a shame to cancel Chicago Code. This show was the best thing on TV for adult viewers looking for something outside of the reality genre. BRING BACK CHICAGO CODE. FOX what are you thinking?

Karen October 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Fox – Please renew this intelligently written, strong drama. Give adults with brains something to watch on TV. One of the best hours on television. A great bookend to House. Nice to see a show with a strong female lead.

rick September 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Bring back Chicago Code

Lucette Hachey Laskey September 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Bring back Chicago Code Season 2 !!!! I love that show !!

steven September 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm

just like the idiots at fox to cancle a good show n put on another singing show the x factor i promise i wont b watching one episode this is really getting old 10 yr the same lame tv

Gino Di Venanzo September 10, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I really like The Chicago Code. I saw a few episodes here in Italy on Fox Crime chanels. I will be returning to Canada in November and would like to see future episodes there.
Please do not cancel it.

hal September 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

this is a great show should be left on–many others a lot worse !!!!!

TOM KANE September 1, 2011 at 7:06 pm

PLEASE RENEW THIS AWESOME PROGRAM ITS A GREAT FAMILY SHOW

Doree August 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Please do not cancel this show!!!

Steve Harmon August 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Another mistake by Fox to take off Chicago Code!! You are getting close to a no show on my TV’s. You took off Human Target and a Mistake again. I now watch House and Bones, when you cut them I am out! I guess if I had money enough I would buy a channel. I would take your cast offs and have a top network!

Sherry August 19, 2011 at 10:49 am

Please reconsider renewing Chicago Code. We dvr’ed the first 3 episodes and have just now gotten around to watching them. An excellent show! We can’t find any of the remaining episodes through our cable company. Renew it!

Shari August 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

Please don’t cancel the Chicago Code. Love this show!! We can hardly find anything worth watching on TV anymore, and this is a fabulous show, please re-consider and keep it!

Ashley August 1, 2011 at 7:05 am

I think Chicago Code should not be cancelled. When I saw the first episode. I feel in love with the show. I do not want to see this show end. I think this show should last up to 10 season. It is the best show about Chicago’s Cops. Please do not Cancel the show.

Patrick July 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Don’t cancel Chicago Code! The best hour on tv!

Joe Graham July 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

I understand why Fox is canceling it since ratings are everything, but why didn’t people watch it? If you’re mature enough to appreciate House, then you’re right for Code. It’s tv for adults. Why did people tune out? Can someone explain this to me?