The Event: NBC Plans Relaunch; Will It Be Saved or Cancelled?

The EventTonight marks the last episode of The Event for 2010. NBC plans to relaunch the series in three months, on February 28th, after letting their new series The Cape have the timeslot. Is it a risky move? Not really. Ultimately, they don’t have much choice.

The Event follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter), a young man who’s investigating the mysterious disappearance of his girlfriend. He slowly begins to uncover the biggest cover-up in the history of the United States. Others in the cast include Sarah Roemer, Laura Innes, Ian Anthony Dale, Scott Patterson, Clifton Collins Jr., Taylor Cole, Lisa Vidal, Bill Smitrovich, Zeljko Ivanek, and Blair Underwood.

The series debuted in September to decent ratings with a 3.6 in the 18-49 demo and 10.88 million total viewers. That’s a healthy sampling but, considering all of the promotion that NBC put behind it, the programmers were likely disappointed by its third place rank in the timeslot.

While some viewers clearly love the show, more than half who watched the first episode have already lost interest. The Event has been losing viewers, sometimes as much as 15 or 20% in one week, and to date has never shown an increase week-to-week in the demo. The most recent installment garnered just a 1.7 rating in the demo and 5.19 million viewers.

You can blame the network for not doing a better job of promoting The Event but clearly there’s a problem with the series when people who already watch don’t feel compelled to return week after week.

Will this February “relaunch” help? Based on recent TV history, the answer is no. Just look at V and FlashForward. People who were interested in The Event have either already tried it and stuck around or given up on it. Those who haven’t watched previously are very unlikely to give a try because they assume that they’ve missed too much backstory already. On top of that, when the show returns, the ratings will likely be lower than what they are now. By the time The Event returns in February, many casual fans will have already gotten involved with other shows.

The one thing that The Event has going for it is the fact that it’s on NBC. The peacock network continues to struggle and The Event is currently the fifth most-watched scripted program on the network. If things go as expected, it will drop much lower on the list next year. Still, with the exception of The CW, NBC is the only network that would consider giving this series more time. They’ll surely let all 22 episodes air.

The Event returns on Monday, February 28th and will have 12 more original episodes to air at that point. Will there be a second season? We’ll have to wait and see but hopefully the producers will plan ahead and not end the show without any resolution.

What do you think? Does The Event have a chance for survival? What could NBC do to save this show? Anything?

Karen September 26, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I just watched this on Netflix and absolutely love it. I hadn’t even heard of it being on tv. Please, someone, pick it up. I have to know what happens about the alien dying world, right next to us. Now that they are in our backyard, are we going to try to help save them? Or will there be a war? They did not do much to promote this. I saw it on On Demand, but I didn’t know what it was about, so I skipped it. It looked like some kind of government conspiracy, which I’m tired of. But, I didn’t know it was sci fi. Please, bring it back.

Yellena June 9, 2013 at 2:28 am

It is 2013 I wish I new about that show back in 2010. Anywhere I love the story. It is possible some one trying deliver msg.I wish we can see the good end.

Benyamin Bidabad June 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Ratings are low beacause the show is left unfinished. if it continues ratings will hit 2 digits.

me overhere March 14, 2013 at 4:51 am

NBC is a big problem, I don’t care if they canceled the show. Someone else should pick it up and roll with it,Then they would get the loyal viewers and ratings. NBC has done this to many times to these good shows just to put on crap like reality shows that have no actual fan base.

hathepsu February 27, 2013 at 3:20 pm

2/27/2013. Just finished 20-something+ episodes of The Event on Netflix. Great show. Superb actors, fantastic pacing beginning with third episode. Wonderful, fresh approach.
I shall look forward hopefully that the series continues. Probably it lost a percentage of it initial audience because it has no “trash” factor that seems to appeal to some. It is, indeed, splendid.

PRob January 25, 2013 at 11:01 am

I’m very late in posting a comment about ‘The Event’, but I’m hoping that someone will see all of the comments, and know that there is/was/will be a loyal and interested following of this GREAT! GREAT! show. Please find a way to bring it back to life!!!! Or at least finish it.

I just found it on Netflix, and I’m enjoying the episodes all over again. My wish is that there will be a continuation of the show, and/or an ending to the story. I’m sure the writers have many more stories with twists and turns to present. I also agree, as others have said: better marketing could help.

Chan Jones November 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm

What a show!!! the best hour on television in a long time.. anyone who watches the show can’t wait til the next episode. it leaves you wanting more and more. i just can’t believe it wasn’t a hugh hit this show had me planning my night around it. couldn’t miss it for nothing. It is so many places this show could go on the storey line. god i miss it…. please bring it back there is lots of unfinished bussiness.

Gary August 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm

oh! And also I enjoyed it very much! Love to watch more of it!

Gary August 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I found (the event) on Amazon. I don’t have much time for television. So I usually pick shows up on alternative devices. And I have to say I would enjoy watching another season of (the event). I found it to be better than most shows of it’s kind by far. If it had problems I would wonder of it’s time slot! as to what’s it’s competition was? If it was against a show that has been running for awhile I could understand perhaps. But I think after people maybe watched more into the episodes they might find it compelling to view on! Just my opinion. I do know I hate it when a show drops off with no real ending!

janet August 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I just found this series on netflix. Never heard of it before. Loved it. Watched four hours of it back to back!

Mike Fontana July 18, 2012 at 6:27 am

I think the problem with all these series is they don’t plan an end game. They should have a wrap-up in the can for each season, just in case they decide to not continue. I don’t like to even start a series because most of the time your left hanging. I also think they should never go more than three seasons. The story gets to confusing or lost completely.

Shirley March 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm

l loved the series but like ‘The 4400′ you watch it to be disapointed that it have no ending.
l think there should be a season two to tie up the loose ends.
l’ts a great series

Senora January 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I think NBC FAILED the audience. This show was very exciting nd sit in the edge of your seat type that MAKES you want to watch again.

Benyamin Bidabad June 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm